Apple saying my 2011 iMac might be too new to be covered for graphics card replacement

Discussion in 'iMac' started by madeirabhoy, Oct 24, 2015.

1. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

they haven't decided yet and I have to take the machine in to be checked but if that's what they say is there anything j can do.

My mac is the 27 inch 2011 model. I only bought it in 2013 from local FNAC where it was a display model. 2 year guarantee ran out July. In August screen started flickering. Very occasionally. Then more often. Even though machine always on it would start to flicker after a few hours of heavy use like gaming and then even if I restarted it. Flickering got more often. Started to see glitches on screen so sure it's the graphics card.

Just in the last week it also started acting up when I restart it. It bongs but often either the screen doesn't come on or halfway through startup the screen goes off.

This is he model where apple admit they had faulty graphics cards. I have that model. That graphics card. And although apples site doesn't mention serial numbers and arrival on another Mac site lists 8 serial number endings that are affected and mine is the first one they mention.

Spoke to Apple on phone. Now girl was very helpful and friendly and I've to take it in but her gut reaction seemed to be that I wouldn't be covered as the Apple notice says that it's for macs bought between 2011 and 2012 and I bought in 2013. Why should that matter ?

I'm really a bit scared about what they might say. Best case is they fix it for free or even better but unlikely they say they can't and give me a newer model. But worst case they say it's not covered and either they can repair but it's expensive or they can't and my 1700 euro 2 year old computer is a dodo.

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Purchase date has nothing to do with it unless it's beyond 4 years ago. When you bring it in they run a test against the card. If it passes they usually won't cover it and proceed to tell you about the fixed price service. But if the card fails they replace it.

3. macryan1 macrumors member

I also have a late 2011 27inch iMac, purchased new, Applecare has expired. I experienced graphic issues, flickering and finally it just showed wide pink vertical lines. Took it to the Apple store, a few months ago they ran tests and concluded it was a failed GPU. Replaced it at no charge. They must test it to determine that this is indeed the graphics card first. If that is your problem then you should be covered.

4. madeirabhoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hope so. Any chance they might replace it with a newer model ?

5. madeirabhoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

aargh ..very stressed as still haven't heard, will probably hear tomorrow. if they replace the graphics card I'm happy, if they replace the whole machine I'm over the moon, and if they say its too new to be covered and I'm looking at a 500 euro bill or whatever it would cost I'm completely stuffed. wish i knew.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, they'll just replace the logic board

7. madeirabhoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

will they still have logic boards for that old a model?

8. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Apple keeps spare parts for all Macs for 7 years since the model is introduced. So, they will have all parts for a 2011 iMac until 2018. at least.

9. madeirabhoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

can you believe, after all my stress...

they phoned me today, nice guy, told me first of all that apple have said if there is a problem, the machine is covered, but he can't find anything wrong with it. :oops:

he said that before he tested it he opened it, unplugged and replugged everything, and maybe it was something that had come loose, because he's had it for 4 days, ran all sorts of tests and not saw a problem. he says a blackening screen might be the led and maybe that cabling was loose.

he's going to keep it for another day, and he's suggested i pay (its only 17 euro) for him to clean out dust and whatnot, and if he can't see a problem I've to go and collect it.

at least he's said that apple have already said the date of purchase isn't a problem and if the graphics card is a problem, apple will pay for it, but it does sound like it was just a loose cable inside :oops: