Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ikarus79m

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
When I returned my 3G iphone for the 4th time due to the dropped calls that occur when the iPhone try's to hand off a call from 3G to EDGE, the Genius told me that this is to be expected.

She said that AT&T's network does not support a seamless hand off between 3G and EDGE. "The network is not currently equipped for that" she said.

Is this statement accurate? Really?

Anyone has some real knowledge about this?

iViet

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2007
you can always turn off the 3g to avoid it from dropping your calls. Ain't no difference really when chatting.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
When I returned my 3G iphone for the 4th time due to the dropped calls that occur when the iPhone try's to hand off a call from 3G to EDGE, the Genius told me that this is to be expected.

She said that AT&T's network does not support a seamless hand off between 3G and EDGE. "The network is not currently equipped for that" she said.

Is this statement accurate? Really?

Anyone has some real knowledge about this?
Yep, you can't switch from one network to the other in a call. Sucks.

archi17

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
Australia
Why would this be Apples fault? They only supply the harware and it relies on AT&T's signals, and gathering you don't live in a great 3G area, dropped calls are to be expected. I would advise to turn 3G off and make calls of EDGE if you have higher reception with EDGE

drchipinski

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
It is a lousy relationship to say the least. One points a finger at the other. How anyone can deal with the horrible ATT service is beyond me. Drop call after drop call.....not worth the hassle.

opticalserenity

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
It has nothing to do with the "relationship," fact is, Apple makes the device, not the network.

We all know AT&T would be a very different company if Steve & Co. were running the show.

I don't even know why this thread exists, or has an exclamation mark at the end of the title. Should it surprise anyone that what happens on the AT&T network is AT&T's fault? Of course not.

Let both Apple and AT&T know you are not pleased, perhaps all AT&T customers will benefit from AT&T getting off their rumps and fixing issues. The only conceivable way to fix the hand off issue is simply putting up more towers.

Stratus Fear

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Yep, you can't switch from one network to the other in a call. Sucks.

No, you can, and it does sometimes work. I've had it work in some situations but not at all in others. It's not very reliable at all. I can make an abrupt change in my environment like walking into an underground parking deck and it'll make the switch from UMTS to GSM just fine, and then another time I can simply walk down the sidewalk out of 3G range and it'll drop hard.

If reliable calling is a top priority, I'd switch off 3G before starting a call.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
If reliable calling is a top priority, I'd switch off 3G before starting a call.

Does anyone else have a problem with this statement? This isn't directed at Stratus Fear in any way obviously, but how can we be expected to switch off 3G before making a call? You should be able to just take out your phone and place a call without having to worry about 3G, Edge or whatever (I understand that if you're in an area with no coverage whatsoever you won't be able to make or receive calls). The iphone should be able to switch between 3G and Edge (and whatever is "below" Edge) without dropping a call. The phone is called the iphone 3G - turning off the 3G to make a call is not an acceptable "workaround". I've never had to turn off EVDO to make a call on Sprint's network so why should I have to turn off my 3G with At&T? That's ridiculous.

alphajerk

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
Omaha, NE
I think it's more that you should turn off the 3G and turn it on when you want to web surf, not leave it on and turn it off to make a call. Make sense?

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
I think it's more that you should turn off the 3G and turn it on when you want to web surf, not leave it on and turn it off to make a call. Make sense?
I see what you are saying but meh, if I need to dick around with the settings for every task I want to perform, I'll not use the phone. It is a 3G phone, not an 'only use 3G for data and not calls' phone. The Genius at the apple store specifically told me that it is not possible to have the phone switch networks while in a call. I have never seen it happen but maybe he was wrong?

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008

I totally understand what you're saying but I don't think it's right that we should have to do that. If you know you're in an area with no 3G coverage, it makes perfect sense to turn 3G off since you're not going to be able to take advantage of it anyway; however, if you're in area that has mixed coverage you should be able to leave it on so that you can take advantage of the higher speeds when they are available. We should expect better from Apple and AT&T.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005

Ummm...NOPE. I'm in total agreement with psywzrd on this one. If it's being marketed as heavily as it is for the addition of 3G, the thing should WORK. 3G is a perfectly viable calling network - or it should be. I'm planning on picking one up in the next couple of weeks, but I'm not thrilled about the problems that it looks like I'll be dealing with.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
When 3G first came to the UK, I went with '3' and constantly had this problem, and in the end turned 3G off on the phone (until they disabled that ability with a firmware update because non-3G calls went to O2's network and cost them money).
O2's network seems more robust than that and manages to hold onto calls when switching between 3G and 2G - I've never a call drop out with my iPhone 3G. This gives some credence to Apple's claim that it's AT&T's network, not their device, that's at fault.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK

If you do that though and your phone starts using data (e.g. getting mail, etc), any calls coming in will be routed to voicemail.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
I'd like to point out that my phone has never dropped any calls, and surfs and receives incoming everything just fine. I use 3G all the time, unless I switch it over specifically to save battery power.

On Fido, in Canada.

Stratus Fear

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Does anyone else have a problem with this statement? This isn't directed at Stratus Fear in any way obviously, but how can we be expected to switch off 3G before making a call? You should be able to just take out your phone and place a call without having to worry about 3G, Edge or whatever (I understand that if you're in an area with no coverage whatsoever you won't be able to make or receive calls). The iphone should be able to switch between 3G and Edge (and whatever is "below" Edge) without dropping a call. The phone is called the iphone 3G - turning off the 3G to make a call is not an acceptable "workaround". I've never had to turn off EVDO to make a call on Sprint's network so why should I have to turn off my 3G with At&T? That's ridiculous.

I agree with you. I think AT&T and Apple need to drop the finger pointing and fix whatever the problem is. Although, even if there shouldn't be a workaround, it's good for people to know whatever options are available to them at the moment (retarded as those options may be).

HDJulie

macrumors demi-goddess
Jun 13, 2008
Little Rock, AR
How is the iPhone different from the other 3G phones out there? Do those other phones also drop calls when going from 3G to Edge (or vice-versa)?

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
Does anyone know the technical reason why calls get dropped when you switch from 3G to Edge (or vice-versa)? With Sprint and VZW calls seem to switch between EVDO and 1x without a problem. Is this a GSM thing since 3G is WCDMA?

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Does anyone know the technical reason why calls get dropped when you switch from 3G to Edge (or vice-versa)? With Sprint and VZW calls seem to switch between EVDO and 1x without a problem. Is this a GSM thing since 3G is WCDMA?

Because they are two separate networks on two separate frequency's (usually). Hardware wise it's as alien from switching from AT&T to Sprint and back. Granted AT&T should have it's act together and solve the problem but it doesn't always seem to be the case. In more mature areas I have little problems which means AT&T is doing something right. Just need to have them work on it in all areas.

I doubt the 3G network will be mature enough for another year or so.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

That's because people here are confusing and mixing technology terms. EVDO and 1xRTT are strictly for data. Verizon and Sprint use CDMA across their entire networks for voice. There is no handoff from one technology to another.

3G is a very generic term being thrown around and used to refer to several different technologies.

If I understand the problem correctly, the issue isn't GSM, it's the handoff between the TDMA and WCDMA air interface. AT&T currently has a mix of TDMA and WCDMA in their network. Somewhere the term 3G got thrown in to refer to the WCDMA air interface, but I think this is misleading.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong....my days of working in wireless were many moons ago.

Stratus Fear

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA

EVDO doesn't handle voice data. Even if your phone shows "EVDO", your call is still being sent out over the CDMA2000 protocol. 3G UMTS, on the other hand, handles voice and data both just like GSM does. UMTS isn't just a high-speed data-only extension to GSM like EVDO is to CDMA2000.

Edit: rats, beat me to it. :D

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
EVDO doesn't handle voice data. Even if your phone shows "EVDO", your call is still being sent out over the CDMA2000 protocol. 3G UMTS, on the other hand, handles voice and data both just like GSM does. UMTS isn't just a high-speed data-only extension to GSM like EVDO is to CDMA2000.

Edit: rats, beat me to it. :D

Thanks, my understanding of UMTS is much weaker than my knowledge of CDMA and EVDO technologies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.