Apple says jailbreaking can crash towers and support drug dealers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bruinsrme, Jul 29, 2009.

1. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

The article on wired

I find that interesting. But if a hacker has the ability to hack a cell tower and so on, do you think they would just happen to know someone that could hack the phone as well?

snip from the article

" By tinkering with this code, “a local or international hacker could potentially initiate commands (such as a denial of service attack) that could crash the tower software, rendering the tower entirely inoperable to process calls or transmit data,” Apple wrote the government. “Taking control of the BBP software would be much the equivalent of getting inside the firewall of a corporate computer — to potentially catastrophic result.

“The technological protection measures were designed into the iPhone precisely to prevent these kinds of pernicious activities, and if granted, the jailbreaking exemption would open the door to them,” Apple added."

I have to applaud apple for watchng out for me ensuring those pesky drug dealers don't use teir iPhones an cause my call to drop..

2. dancavallaro macrumors regular

Whenever someone jailbreaks an iPhone, they're supporting terrorism.

Why do you hate America?

3. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

I'm all for helping drug dealers operate more efficiently and anonymously (anything that hinders the fascists of the DEA), but the argument that a jailbroken iPhone can somehow destroy all the cell towers in America (mu-ha-ha-ha-ha [and other cartoonish supervillain laughs]) is just hilarious. Those evil haX0rs and their direct access to the UNIX layer of the iPhone OS...clearly having terminal access allows one to remotely blow up cell towers, I mean, it's a well-known fact that once someone has root access to their own machine, they ipso facto have root access to every other UNIX machine on earth.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well, we already know Apple doesn't like JBing and is seeking to somehow stop it, so no wonder they'd spout this propaganda.

5. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

Apple can stop jailbreaking (some of it, not unlocking) if they allowed some apps to run in the background and have themes for the unlock and home screen.

6. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Even though there's a lot of cool things happening in the jailbreaking community right now I really see no reason to jailbreak anymore. I only really used to install SBSettings. I'm fine without but it's nice not to use your power button all the time. Oh well. To each their own.

7. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Agreed, themes, backgrounding, and different SMS tones were the only reasons I jb'd. Once in, then I realized all the other cool stuff you could do, and will never, ever go back to stock:)

8. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

Hey, Apple. How about not rejecting apps like Google Voice and maybe people won't jailbreak, you tards.

- Signed Everyone

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Hey Apple, how about you SCARE the JB community into restoring their iPhones or face the wrath of the government's Homeland Security. Where do we live, Afghanistan??? :eek::eek::eek:

10. outphase macrumors 65816

The iPhone is the first device in a long time that I thought I should try playing by the rules. The removal of all GV apps makes me reconsider this decision.

11. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

I haven't jailbroken my iPhone since the original. Once the 3G and 2.0/App Store came out, I felt I didn't have a need to anymore. It's definitely made me reconsider it, as well.

12. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Why yes Apple, I do support drug dealers, so I'm gonna continue to jailbreak my iPhone.

what a joke.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They're talking a bunch of nonsense in order to convince those in charge to somehow make jailbreaking illegal.
    When was the last time you heard someone crashing a tower or doing Ddos attack with their Jailbroken iphone?

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Funny how Jobs got started selling Blue Boxes to hack the phone company, and yet now... hmm... kind of like a kid having lots of fun, and then becoming a control freak as a parent.

Anyway, Apple is being way too modest. They must have forgotten how they themselves screwed up with the first 3G model's transmitter power management code, and nearly took down ATT all by themselves.

15. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Is anything they said not true? I'm not looking to defend Apple, just looking for the facts.

They are actually trying to keep it illegal.

What has happened and what could happen are two different things. :rolleyes: The real question is - Is it more likely to happen if jailbreaking is legalized?

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yeah right fanboy:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I bet you also like how Apple rejected Google Voice and many other apps.
    You're looking at the facts alright......

17. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Where's my Chicken Little pic when I need it? :rolleyes:

chicken little cat the sky is falling.jpg

18. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Give me an app like Backgrounder and iRealQuickSMS and I will happily un-jailbreak my phone.

19. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

As I mentioned above, I enjoy the idea of sticking it to the man, so prior to OS 3.0, my iPhone was always JB'ed. I am certainly not against the idea of paying reasonable fees for quality apps, however--and most of the apps I originally found useful in old days of Cydia have better equivalents in the actual App Store. By the time OS 3.0 came out, the only Cydia app that I used on a frequent basis was the Mobile Terminal...and I decided it wasn't worth the speed/memory hit of JBing just to have a Terminal application.

Although with the release of the 3GS and its 256MB of RAM, I could see the ability to use multitasking hacks like backgrounder being quite useful. Alas, with 128MB, the original iPhone and 3G just don't handle backgrounder very well.

20. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Fanboy? Because I asked a question instead of rushing to judgment without any facts? :rolleyes:

For the record, I am against the rejection of Google Voice and several other apps.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you're buying that joke of an excuse about drug dealers and other nonsense they put up there then you are a Fanboy :rolleyes::rolleyes:

22. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I'm not buying anything. I asked if the technical claims they made are true.

Does calling people a Fanboy make you feel better inside? :rolleyes:

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Notice how you're the only one taking Apples side here? So obviously you're a big fan, dont worry Jobs will give you an autograph :D
    The Technical claims they make arent true. You ever heard about any JB iphone bringing down a tower or doing Ddos attacks?
    It aint happening.
    Do you really think that a single cell phone can bring a tower down and theres nothing in place to stop such an event happening?
    If you do, you're more deluded than Apple.
    If utilizing the baseband processor for an attack against a cell tower would be any potential threat, it would have been done with any other cellphone out there already. Cell towers are designed (by hardware and software) to deflect these kinds of attempts
    Apple or you is not making any real sense here, they're just making a silly case to protect their business model. It's a lie, it's a bluff, it's a scam...

24. FastangV6 macrumors regular

FastangV6

Did I miss the iDrugDealer app? which cydia repository is it in? Now that's an app I would pay for.

Drug Dealing... There's an app for that.

[/sarcasm]

25. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I'm not taking Apple's side! Nowhere in this thread have I said anything in support of Apple. Regardless of whether the two claims highlighted in this article are true, it's stupid to ban jailbreaking based on what a bad person could do with jailbroken phone. A bad person will jailbreak the phone to do these things even if it is illegal.

I simply asked if it was true that you could bring down a cell tower with an jailbroken iPhone or make free calls by tinkering with the ID.

Why is this hard for you to understand?