Apple Says Latest macOS Sierra Update 10.12.2 Does Not Improve MacBook Pro Battery Life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tubeexperience, Dec 16, 2016.

1. tubeexperience, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016

tubeexperience macrumors 68040

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/12/explaining-the-battery-life-problems-with-the-new-macbook-pros/

2. NavyAssassin macrumors newbie

Lol apple software development team seems drunk.

3. EndlessBuffoonery macrumors regular

EndlessBuffoonery

Yeah, because producing the best software in the world always comes from drunks, right?

4. leman macrumors G3

Would you have preferred them to lie and say it does?

5. daveak macrumors regular

"Apple told us repeatedly and emphatically that it had taken no specific steps to improve MacBook Pro battery life in this update"

This is not the same as your title which claims Apple have said it doesn't improve battery life. The only possible explanations as far as I can tell are that indexing etc. all finished around the same time for every owner with completely different amounts of data and completely different usage patterns. Highly unlikely, or that somehow the update caused whatever was the problem to go away, whether intended or not, far more likely.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You mean like Pages, or Photos :eek:

:p

Seriously, I think finding the issues with battery drains was a lot more complicated then apple first thought.

7. Jaekae macrumors 6502a

Nowdays they produce the buggiest software and crappiest driver support intje world. Everyday it get worse and worse

8. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68040

9. leman macrumors G3

You know, I learned to be very skeptical about what users report on these forums.

Which would mean that the reports of the laptops having bad battery life really were just because people were misunderstanding how the indicator works. Which again would mean that Apple was right about removing it ;)

P.S. Don't forget that ALL major independent battery benchmarks out there show the new models having better battery life than the old models.

10. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Apple's days as producing the best software in the world are a rapidly fading memory. They are now just another technology company.

11. daveak macrumors regular

If time taken (from looking at a clock) for the battery to reach 0 going from 5 hours to 10 hours in my case is a placebo then yes you are right.

12. Sully macrumors regular

Sully

Agreed. My top spec 13" is no different since the upgrade. It's really a silly corporate move to remove the time remaining battery indicator. I would have loved to have been sitting in that meeting when it was suggested.

I'm happy with the computer. But, that's most likely because I'm coming from a 2007 model.

13. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68040

Review from tech site disagrees.

14. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

This isn't a software issue. Apple reduced the batteries by more than 30% but it did not reduce total power usage by 30%. I don't know why anyone is shocked by these reports.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 17, 2016 ---
    A couple of beers usually sparks my creativity during a late night coding session.

15. leman macrumors G3

I am not familiar with that website. Could you provide a link?

16. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Agree even though I don't drink.
    Of course it doesn't improve battery life. It makes it get the battery life originally advertised.

17. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68040

http://www.notebookreview.com/noteb...ok-pro-review-2016-touch-class-not-much-else/

18. zhaoxin macrumors regular

You all should know that Apple never confirmed that there was a battery issue at all. Apple said it was the missing calculation of the indicator software, which was removed in macOS 10.12.2.

Since there was no battery issue at all, there was no room to improve it, right?

19. leman macrumors G3

Ah, this thing. It was extensively discussed in the parallel thread. I do not consider it an objective test. First, they do not disclose their methodology, second, they do not provide any comparison. Moreover, that website suffers from serious double standard issues. If you check out their Dell XPS 15 review, they measure 3.5 hours of battery and then conclude that it's one of the best laptops one can buy.

I prefer to trust websites which actually explain how they conduct their tests. And all those I am aware of confirm Apples claims. In fact, they get a couple le of hours more out of the 15 machine under the conditions stated by Apple.

20. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68040

Actually, the review on the Dell XPS 15 said that it lasted 3.5 hours while running PowerMark benchmark.

21. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

this is crazy absurd, and validates flack they're getting for removing battery estimate

plus those two job postings related to energy efficiency, and maybe even an energy calculator/estimator person or something, time to get back to work Apple at your iToys!

No more political fundraisers for you, Tim.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. leman macrumors G3

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any quick info about that test. The developer simply says "delivers accurate battery benchmarks". The reviewer claims that the test triggers the dGPU. How does this compare to what they did with the MBP? I don't know. Again, there is not enough information for me to put the things into a proper context. For I stance, after reading arstechnicas or notebookcheck's review I kind of get an idea how long a battery life I can expect when doing some light browsing or video watching. After reading the laptopreview article, I have absolutely no clue. That's lazy reviewing and bad journalism.
    Another question: why didn't they report PowerMark results for the MBP? that would be an objective test.

23. EndlessBuffoonery macrumors regular

EndlessBuffoonery

then what?
    They literally produce the best software.
    Apple's days of producing the best software are literally right now. Everybody knows that.

24. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

No, not everyone knows that. Some people are tired of being beta testers as more and more of their software is released with issues, bugs that should have been caught and just plain sloppiness.

25. edenorchestra macrumors member

edenorchestra

I think he hates this meeting, can't much blame him.