Apple says my warranty is expired, when it is not.

i4Collin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Maryland
HELP!!! I went to extend my Applecare on my iMac to 3 years, but online it says that it has already expired. :( The computer was purchased December 2, 2010 @ 5:54PM. (I have the receipt) Should I just let the warranty thing go, or is Apple Care really worth it? I meant to do this a week ago, but was so busy I completely forgot until today. If I go into an Apple Store tomorrow, can/will they give me an extension on my Apple Care?

Attachments

Last edited:

Oli3000

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
Typically the warranty lasts for 365 days, i.e. it expires the day before the actual anniversary (being the 366th day). However I'm sure if you rung or went into a store they would honour it. Probably safer to do that than rely on a quick response!

Boogsephine

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
My buddy that manages an Apple Store always tells his employees to tell the customer to buy the Apple Care about a week before the year mark because it takes a few days to apply to the unit you purchase.

I remember when I bought my Macbook back in 2009 and went to add the Apple care, it did actually take about 4 days for it to apply and show up on there.

I'd go in to a store and see what they say. This is why I always say waiting until the last minute is the worst thing to do.

When you buy it in store, they just apply it online as you would if you took it home and did the same process. Hope you're not out of luck..

rw3

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
Call AppleCare (1-800-275-2273) and tell them that you want to add AppleCare that you didn't know that your needed to do it the day before the day you bought it. They will let you know as they typically have a 30 day grace period.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
As long as you have proof that you bought your AppleCare agreement before your warranty expired, they'll be able to apply it for you.

i4Collin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Maryland
As long as you have proof that you bought your AppleCare agreement before your warranty expired, they'll be able to apply it for you.
That's the problem. I haven't bought AppleCare yet, and bought the computer a year from tomorrow. Online it unfortunately says that my warranty has expired.

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
Call AppleCare............do I need to say it again?
Easy tiger. I think he misunderstood you as saying he should have purchased it the day before his machine, not the day before the anniversary. Your choice of words was not...choice, I suppose.

rw3

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
They will usually give you a 30 day grace period even if you didn't purchase it before the last day. Just call AppleCare man....better to talk to a human than a website.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
That's the problem. I haven't bought AppleCare yet, and bought the computer a year from tomorrow. Online it unfortunately says that my warranty has expired.
Well it won't hurt to try. My AppleCare also shows my product to expire one day before I bought it, so I think that's normal. But maybe if you have a receipt, you can send it to Apple and just buy the AppleCare over the phone so they can apply it.

I'm not sure, but try to ask.

agentjonny

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2011
canada
AppleCare is well worth it, and it's pretty cheap for iMacs. just remember, you aren't adding 3 years, you'll only be adding 2 years since your first year is now over.

i4Collin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Maryland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Called today and got it extended :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.