Apple says my warranty is expired, when it is not.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by i4Collin, Dec 1, 2011.

1. i4Collin, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

i4Collin macrumors regular

HELP!!! I went to extend my Applecare on my iMac to 3 years, but online it says that it has already expired. :( The computer was purchased December 2, 2010 @ 5:54PM. (I have the receipt) Should I just let the warranty thing go, or is Apple Care really worth it? I meant to do this a week ago, but was so busy I completely forgot until today. If I go into an Apple Store tomorrow, can/will they give me an extension on my Apple Care?

Attached Files:

2. Oli3000 macrumors regular

Typically the warranty lasts for 365 days, i.e. it expires the day before the actual anniversary (being the 366th day). However I'm sure if you rung or went into a store they would honour it. Probably safer to do that than rely on a quick response!

3. Boogsephine macrumors 6502

My buddy that manages an Apple Store always tells his employees to tell the customer to buy the Apple Care about a week before the year mark because it takes a few days to apply to the unit you purchase.

I remember when I bought my Macbook back in 2009 and went to add the Apple care, it did actually take about 4 days for it to apply and show up on there.

I'd go in to a store and see what they say. This is why I always say waiting until the last minute is the worst thing to do.

When you buy it in store, they just apply it online as you would if you took it home and did the same process. Hope you're not out of luck..

4. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

Call AppleCare (1-800-275-2273) and tell them that you want to add AppleCare that you didn't know that your needed to do it the day before the day you bought it. They will let you know as they typically have a 30 day grace period.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

As long as you have proof that you bought your AppleCare agreement before your warranty expired, they'll be able to apply it for you.

6. i4Collin thread starter macrumors regular

That's the problem. I haven't bought AppleCare yet, and bought the computer a year from tomorrow. Online it unfortunately says that my warranty has expired.

7. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

Call AppleCare............do I need to say it again?

8. larrylaffer macrumors 6502

larrylaffer

Easy tiger. I think he misunderstood you as saying he should have purchased it the day before his machine, not the day before the anniversary. Your choice of words was not...choice, I suppose.

9. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

They will usually give you a 30 day grace period even if you didn't purchase it before the last day. Just call AppleCare man....better to talk to a human than a website.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Well it won't hurt to try. My AppleCare also shows my product to expire one day before I bought it, so I think that's normal. But maybe if you have a receipt, you can send it to Apple and just buy the AppleCare over the phone so they can apply it.

I'm not sure, but try to ask.

11. agentjonny macrumors newbie

AppleCare is well worth it, and it's pretty cheap for iMacs. just remember, you aren't adding 3 years, you'll only be adding 2 years since your first year is now over.

12. i4Collin thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Called today and got it extended :)

13. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3