Apple schedules secret retail employee meeting ahead of possible media event

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cully411, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Cully411 macrumors member

Apple Insider article

Could this be related to the macbook pro refresh? or something iPad related?

2. amoergosum macrumors 6502

Quote:

"But in the event that the new MacBook Pro launch occurs as expected on Thursday, the most likely subject for an Apple media event would be the anticipated second-generation iPad."

3. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Hopefully its iPad 2 related.

I could care less about the next MBP at this point. Unless it performs sexual favors while I am working I'm not going to upgrade :D

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

That^^ haha.:p:apple:

5. amoergosum macrumors 6502

Haha....awesome...:D

6. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

My sentiments exactly, mods please sticky this ;)

7. FaziBear macrumors member

dont know why ipad 2 would require all the employees to sign a NDA though...things like that they probably wouldnt bother telling to the staff so much earlier in the first place, would they? did they do something like this when the ipad was released initially?

Im hoping the major MBP revision rumors are true and apple staff have a lot to learn about the new machine. :)

More likely... there's going to be a few products getting updated altogether, so easier to do everything at the same time.

8. teenheat macrumors newbie

what would they have to learn? lightpeak maybe?
    i can't think of anything else that would justify "training".

9. Cully411 thread starter macrumors member

I agree, i think they might be looking at releasing the iMac alongside the Macbook pro range!

New info @ AppleInsider within the last few minutes...

Rumor: Apple may refresh iMac alongside new MacBook Pros

10. Sudaddy macrumors member

I definitely think this is LightPeak related.

But here's the thing - if MBPs are released on Thursday, with no LP, that will be a shame if the new iPad2 comes out with LP. Because I want LP on my MBP and I am sure many others do too.

But if MBPs do come with LP, then next week could be strictly about iPad2. It doesn't make any sense to talk about a technology they released a week before.

I am praying this is related to the LP and I am also praying that the MBPs get the LP. Next week can be about iPad2.

However, my little brain is telling me, iPad2 next week doesn't make any sense - why would Apple release two new upgrades in two consecutive weeks? Does that mean that there's not going to be any thing for Thursday and MBPs get released next week? Too many possibilities.

11. FaziBear macrumors member

no idea...again, mainly wishing and im not an expert at all... my best guess would be that there's just so many updates rather than one big one that would demand it, e.g. lightpeak, chasis design/material, larger trackpads and maybe additional gestures if its timed with an OS update or possibly the 8-16 GB SSD/HD hybrid and how that changes turn-on times and sleep/battery or app stuff...

really though, i have no idea, just dreaming/wishing.

12. Cully411 thread starter macrumors member

Since Apple shunned USB 3, the only logical step would be to adopt LightPeak - however i think Apple want to 'Brand it' with their own name.

10Gbit/s please! :)

13. teenheat macrumors newbie

LightPeak would make sense..somehow.
    I just don't see the iPad being presented next week. And why, if not for LP would the employees have to sign NDAs. (which means they'd learn some things about it before they are released.)

A bigger Trackpad or a SSD isn't something they'd have to know some days earlier.

14. profoshow macrumors member

Meeting Sunday... Means refresh next tuesday and not Thursday most likely, right?

15. teenheat macrumors newbie

I'd put my money in tuesday.

16. Cully411 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, Tuesday 1st March is more than likely. However, Steve's birthday is Thursday 24th Feb so Apple might celebrate with style! :p

17. Cully411 thread starter macrumors member

;) :p

18. profoshow macrumors member

Announce thursday and release Tuesday?

19. eddieaus macrumors regular

Macbook Pro might not have LP, but iMac might.

20. Cully411 thread starter macrumors member

Quite possibly, i would expect them to be briefing their staff first off. So we might see an announcement on Thursday and release on Tuesday. It's hard to tell though, apple can be very unpredictable at times.

21. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

All of this hocus pocus, secrecy stuff is a little over the top. :rolleyes:

22. Sudaddy macrumors member

Okay, one way we can analyze this better, is by finding out when was the last time they had a similar meeting and how did it correlate with any product release. Anyone has any evidence or idea if Apple did the same thing before iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4, or may be before the last MBP?

Also, my gut tells me that if Apple is indeed going to release LP, they will push it on all of their products and that includes the new MBP. They want to more people use their newer technology on their products. By limited LP to only iPad2 or next iMac, it's not going to help them that well.

23. xdbuix macrumors 6502

from macrumors.com front page

Update: We've received word from several sources that the meeting is simply a standard quarterly meeting for retail employees and should not entail any specific disclosures related to new products.

24. Cully411 thread starter macrumors member

Why the non-disclosure agreement then? Something doesn't add up here..

25. icebiker macrumors newbie

I wonder how marketing would justify that, MBP without LP iMac and possibly iPad 2 having it...