Apple Second Quarter Results

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple announced their second quarter results today which ended March 27, 2004.

For the first quarter, Apple posted a net profit of $46 million ($.12/share) compared to $14 million ($.04/share) in the same quarter last year. Revenue was up 29% to $1.909 billion when compared the same time frame.

749 thousand Macs were shipped while 807 thousand iPods were shipped this quarter. This represents a 5% increase in CPU shipments and a 909% increase in iPod shipments compared to Q2 2003.

The financial conference call will take place at 5pm EST.

montecristo

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2003
Gotham
807 iPods!

I bet you meant 807 thousand! Amazing -- that exceeds the holiday quarter, and with 1 fewer day in the quarter (short february!) :)

coumerelli

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2003
state of confusion.
Macrumors said:
... while 807 iPods were shipped this quarter.
wow, and I thought they were more popular than that...;)

At any rate that is an INCERDIBLE increase! Way to go Apple! I'm gonna add to the next quarter's numbers, that's for sure!

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Macrumors said:
Apple announced their second quarter results today which ended March 27, 2004.
This represents a 5% increase in CPU shipments and a 909% increase in iPod shipments compared to Q2 2003.
To be honest this 5% increase doesn't seem alot to me, regarding the fact that the G5 wasn't available then.
I wonder exactly what this 5% is "made of". 5% of "all" CPUs? Or Less iMacs but more G5s?

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
Macrumors said:
This represents a 5% increase in CPU shipments and a 909% increase in iPod shipments compared to Q2 2003.
Maybe we'll see this kind of increase in the reduced price eMacs now.

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
and aethier...

YOU WROTE:
Holy Crap!
those ipods are selling like hot cakes.

aethier
My macs:15 inch aluminum Powerbook, AE, backlit keyboard, gig of ram, supper drive, 5400 rpm hd ...

what's the carb rating on that supper drive? :)

gotta love typos.
terry

[/b]

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2003
Somewhere in the USA
So they are now selling more iPods than CPUs. Is this is a first? (with iPods up by so much, I assume so) I'm not sure I like this development...

--EDIT: Just to be clear, I am very happy Apple is doing so well! I just don't want them to de-emphasize computers. I love my iPod, but in my opinion Apple should be primarily concerned with computers, not with the iPod.--

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Judging by these results, it seems that the main purpose of the iPod was a failure. Sure, on its own, it doing simply amazing, especially for being an expensive "luxury" mp3 player. However, their true purpose was to spur sales of Macs, which doesn't seem to happening at all. A 900% increase in iPods, and only a 5% increase in computer sales is a huge difference. It seems even with the ease of use and desirability of iPods, people still aren't willing to switch to Macs. What WILL it really take?

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
WOWOWOWOW... a new 52-week on Apple Stocks...

$28.99 so far in after-hours trading...

what a magnificent quarter... well done Apple. thanks for helping me keep the faith!

here's to the new G5's!

captain kirk

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2003
UK
autrefois said:
So they are now selling more iPods than CPUs. Is this is a first? (with iPods up by so much, I assume so) I'm not sure I like this development...
This is a first, but that is how it will be from now on!

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
autrefois said:
well its a whole lot easier for people to afford a 25-500 dollars mp3 player as apposed to a 799-2999 computer. makes perfect sense to me.

iJon

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
iChan said:

what a magnificent quarter... well done Apple. thanks for helping me keep the faith!

here's to the new G5's!
Holy crap, I've never seen after hours trading like that before! It's UP almost 2.50 (10%) from its' close! This is really good news!

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
The iPod switching strategy will eventualy pay off. Its not immediate, it will take at least another year. For now, apple is getting a lot of credibility and thats whats important.

captain kirk

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2003
UK
iChan said:

here's to the new G5's!
Hate to point this out but the reason for this quarters success has NOT been down to G5 sales which have been sluggish to say the least (many people anticipating speed bumps) When the conf call is published I am certain it will credit strong sales of ibooks and continued iPod growth. Remember we are comparing it with Q2 from last year which was a very slow period. The 12" & 17" powerbook had been announced but were not shipping, G4 tower sales were also very slow, so despite it being a 5% increase this quarters results were not as good as they could have been. Next quarter is where I see the real problem. What with hardware continuing to be dated. Unless of course they announce spanking new imacs and G5's soon with immediate shipping.

By the way if anyone asks the glass is half empty!!!!!!!

ramallite

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2004
Greensboro
a bit worrying though

The iPods are the only thing that is not a stable product, i.e. it is a "tickle me elmo" whose time may soon be over. iMacs are down 15% YTY, powerbooks are down 5% YTY, and Powermacs are up 12% YT. Need to see better iMac and Powerbook numbers...

montecristo

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2003
Gotham
iJon said:
well its a whole lot easier for people to afford a 25-500 dollars mp3 player as apposed to a 799-2999 computer. makes perfect sense to me.

iJon

I agree. Furthermore, remember that many people who already have macs are buying iPods, so there is no way to tell how many people bought iPods in the holiday quarter are now buying macs this quarter. It is possible that the strategy (to get people to buy macs through trying out the iPod first) is working but there is no way to tell from these numbers.

From word of mouth amongst friends and co-workers, I know it's working. One new friend went into the store to buy an iPod, and came out with an iPod AND an iBook, because she wasn't sure how well the iPod would work with her Dell. :D :eek: :rolleyes: That's typical PC-think -- "I'm not sure a third-party peripheral will work with my Windows machine..." But hey, whatever sells macs! (And I say "new friend" because I was walking by her office one day, barely knew her, and spotted those white ear buds, and asked, "What's on your iPod?" and she told me the whole story. See, macs bring the whole world closer together! :) ).

PretendPCuser

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2001
Northern, NJ
Hotcakes and sausage?

Don't panic said:
time to debunk this myth.

N O B O D Y buys hotcakes.

I can't even think of one single place where they sell them.

sheesh
Um, doesn't McDonald's or BK serve up hotcakes for breakfast? I think they do. And they sell, like, er, well, hotcakes... :confused:

Also: FIRST POST! (second page)