Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Seeds Eighth Beta of tvOS 14 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the eighth beta of an upcoming tvOS 14 update to developers for testing purposes. Designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models, the new tvOS 14 beta comes one week after the release of the seventh beta.

Registered developers can download the new tvOS 14 beta onto the Apple TV through a profile that's installed using Apple's Xcode software.

tvOS 14 introduces Picture in Picture, a feature that lets you watch movies or TV shows in a small window in the corner of the screen while you do something else on the Apple TV.

There's a new Home section in the Control Center on Apple TV in tvOS 14, which allows HomeKit-connected devices to be controlled right from the TV. There's an option to view HomeKit camera feeds on the larger screen of the television or in Picture in Picture mode so you can keep an eye on your house at all times.

Apple Arcade on Apple TV now supports multiple users, so each tvOS user can keep track of their individual game levels, leaderboards, and invitations. Additional gaming controllers are supported, including the Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 and Xbox Adaptive Controllers, and Apple TV games can now take advantage of haptic feedback and other features built into controllers.

There's an option to manually choose a screensaver category in tvOS 14, and for those who watch YouTube, tvOS 14 supports watching YouTube videos in 4K for the first time.

For more on the new features coming in tvOS 14, make sure to check out our roundup. tvOS 14 is expected to be released this fall alongside iOS and iPadOS 14.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Eighth Beta of tvOS 14 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

Last edited:

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
How is this even possible?

Apple TV app still a buggy mess. Does not load large libraries of purchases—way to punish your best customers Apple. Watch Now still loses track of playing or available content.

So disappointed.

normang

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2007
Maple Grove, MN
Seems odd that the promised YT-4K feature just never seems to appear, or is it disappear and not re-appear? This is probably one of the features that many are waiting for, and it really cannot be that hard to add the codec for that..

frankdogg

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
Mid-Wilshire LA

Apple TV app still a buggy mess. Does not load large libraries of purchases—way to punish your best customers Apple. Watch Now still loses track of playing or available content.

So disappointed.

I'm curious as to why you think apple is punishing you when TVos is currently in beta.

Realityck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Seems odd that the promised YT-4K feature just never seems to appear, or is it disappear and not re-appear? This is probably one of the features that many are waiting for, and it really cannot be that hard to add the codec for that..
tvOS has not had a YouTube app that supports 4K playback thru B7. Last I looked it was 2.04.06

The tvOS should have VP9 enabled if iOS 14 beta/ IPadOS beta have it working with 15.36.2 (2 days old - latest release), It's been working since B4. Big Sur has VP9 and AC1 working with last few updates, but B6 has AV1 not working now.

One thing that is missing in the tvOS App Store is Apple TV + app, compared to iOS/IPadOS in case you want to remove or reinstall. On the iPad it doesn't give a version?

Was looking for some approach to test VP9 playback, just to verify VP9 4K.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Some apps still glitch out. Most noticeably Bill O’Reilly App I have. Screen will go black (audio stops) then returns a few seconds later.
never happens after hours of YoutubeTV or Netflix viewing

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2020
51.531011,-0.023979
My Apple TV keeps saying it’s up to date, but it’s still on tvOS 14.0 beta 18J5331g. How can I get it to recognize there’s an update?

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
My Apple TV keeps saying it’s up to date, but it’s still on tvOS 14.0 beta 18J5331g. How can I get it to recognize there’s an update?
Turn off/on the beta option and accept the terms - may need to reboot. If it doesn’t work then use the nuke option and reset it

Last edited:
Reactions: Cartmants and 211

armandxp

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL

So disappointed.
Just curious, how large are your libraries? are you just talking about movies, or music or what? I haven't encountered this problem, but I'm sure my library is pretty small. I have around 300 movies.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Just curious, how large are your libraries? are you just talking about movies, or music or what? I haven't encountered this problem, but I'm sure my library is pretty small. I have around 300 movies.

Over 1,000 movies. Library spins and spins and spins and then shows an error.

• Wow
Reactions: armandxp

Biglethal69

Suspended
Feb 21, 2019
Australia
Some apps still glitch out. Most noticeably Bill O’Reilly App I have. Screen will go black (audio stops) then returns a few seconds later.
never happens after hours of YoutubeTV or Netflix viewing
Well you would think that would be the app itself needing updating for tvOS 14 not apples fault. No app is going to work correctly until after the release of the GM and they update their apps on the tvOS.

Reactions: DogHouseDub

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
Anybody else having issues with infuse and bass. Sometimes I won’t have any bass at all. My nvidia shield is fine always

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Well you would think that would be the app itself needing updating for tvOS 14 not apples fault. No app is going to work correctly until after the release of the GM and they update their apps on the tvOS.

Maybe
Just reporting what I see
Notified the app developers

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009

So disappointed.

Its a.....beta....do you know what that means?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.