Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming macOS Sierra 10.12.6 update to developers, one day after releasing macOS Sierra 10.12.5, a minor update that introduced a fix for a bug with USB headphones and other small improvements.

macOS Sierra 10.12.6 can be downloaded through the Apple Developer Center or using the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store.

012-macos-sierra-970-80-800x449.jpg

We don't know yet what's included in the macOS Sierra 10.12.6 update, but with the debut of the next-generation version of macOS approaching, it's likely to feature minor bug fixes, improvements, and security enhancements.

Development of macOS is wrapping up as Apple transitions to macOS 10.13, which will be introduced at the Worldwide Developers Conference in June.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Beta of macOS Sierra 10.12.6 to Developers

Reactions: wuligelovevc

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
MacRumors:
Seems Apple releases these betas and whatnot for all the OSs at the same time. Do we really need 4+ stories when they do this? It just scrolls your other content off the page faster. Why can't you wrap up all the release bits into one post for all OSs?

Better yet, would you consider a new "page" for these frequent version release stories? Not only would that declutter the main and secondary news pages, but a page dedicated to version release changes (essentially a patch log) would be nice and concise for perusing and discussing the evolution of mac features on the different platforms.

bryan1andersons

Suspended
Sep 30, 2015
MacRumors:
Seems Apple releases these betas and whatnot for all the OSs at the same time. Do we really need 4+ stories when they do this? It just scrolls your other content off the page faster. Why can't you wrap up all the release bits into one post for all OSs?

Better yet, would you consider a new "page" for these frequent version release stories? Not only would that declutter the main and secondary news pages, but a page dedicated to version release changes (essentially a patch log) would be nice and concise for perusing and discussing the evolution of mac features on the different platforms.
MacRumors:

YES PLEASE DO THIS

Reactions: KingOfStuff

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
MacRumors:

I write these posts ahead of time so we can let you guys know as soon as a new beta is up. I can't combo them simply because they don't always come out at the same time. A new page isn't an option right now, but putting all minor beta updates on the blog is something we can consider.

I realize some people don't care for the beta posts, especially when they focus on minor changes, but a lot of people are interested in knowing when a new beta is out and discussing any possible changes.

We're coming up on iOS 11, macOS 10.13, and other new software releases, so beta posts will soon get a lot more exciting.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
MacRumors:

In addition to what Juli said, we also separate them out so that the forum discussion threads can be focused on each release rather than a jumble. We know it's a flood of stories all at once most times, and we've tried to minimize it a bit by keeping iOS and macOS on the front page while we put watchOS and tvOS on the blog. We can start putting macOS on the blog again, but we've gotten complaints in the past about that making the Mac a second-class citizen and an example of the downfall of Apple and MacRumors. ;)

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I realize some people don't care for the beta posts, especially when they focus on minor changes, but a lot of people are interested in knowing when a new beta is out and discussing any possible changes.
I appreciate you taking the time to listen and respond.

I agree that even the less interesting betas are still news worth posting [on some page]. I didn't want to advocate them disappearing entirely. It's just the plastering of multiple stories at once that gets in the way. Too bad we can't have a new patch log page. Not just because of feeling the non-major releases aren't front page worthy, but also because I think it'd make the release posts more interesting to view them with readily accessible historical context.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Why can't you wrap up all the release bits into one post for all OSs?
There are those, like myself, that only run MacOS betas or only run iOS betas and don't want to scroll though off-topic posts in this thread that discuss the other. For me it's MacOS, which is why I'm here instead of the iOS article thread. So I'm fine with the separate articles, even prefer it.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 12.48.54 PM.png

Here's to hoping things get just a little more refined from this point out.
And getting more curious about 10.13.0

Reactions: celaurie

Cancelled
Mar 31, 2015
Just a feeling or call it a hunch - when Apple releases macOS 11 - it will be the end of Steve's touches on the Mac.
I just got this shiver...

I am not saying it's bad, I am only saying it might feel as a goodbye to an era for the Mac.

Yeah, no. Stop being overly dramatic.

They have clearly stated their new Mac roadmap and have been insistent on still being committed to the Mac. I think we should drop this circle jerk now.

Reactions: Chung123 and arefbe

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
Yeah, no. Stop being overly dramatic.

They have clearly stated their new Mac roadmap and have been insistent on still being committed to the Mac. I think we should drop this circle jerk now.
You misunderstood me.
I am embracing a change if it is to come.

All I am saying that when and if Apple moves away from the design that Mac committed to it will be a nice goodbye to what Steve did to Apple.
And I may have sounded dramatic though it wasn't my intention. I was just was remembering the person who made a beautiful design and had a nice influence on technology for the past years.

Believe me - I am more than happy if new ideas or approaches come to the Mac and I do know that apple will keep Mac in their focus and I am happy about it.

Cheers ;)

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
This was fast.

No it isn't. Once a maintenance release it put out we normally see a beta of the next one soon afterwards. It's going to be awhile before it actually gets its own final release, but it's already being worked on.

Apple doesn't do an operating system release and then just sit on their laurels for awhile, they continuously work on it. They just occasionally lock things down and declare a set of changes as a stable release that they push to the public at large outside of betas. But the betas are always coming in the background.

Reactions: Zirel

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
I write these posts ahead of time so we can let you guys know as soon as a new beta is up. I can't combo them simply because they don't always come out at the same time. A new page isn't an option right now, but putting all minor beta updates on the blog is something we can consider.

Please keep doing it the way you guys n gals are doing it. I think it's the right way and y'all are doing an ace job!

ScooterComputer

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
but we've gotten complaints in the past about that making the Mac a second-class citizen
As one of those complainers, I'd just like to point out to the contrary-complainers that beta releases, ALL OF THEM, to Apple operating system really –ARE– things everyone in the Apple community SHOULD be aware of. Yes, I understand the flood of updates, at one time, seems unnecessarily redundant, perhaps. But as a Mac IT professional, I (and others) keep running logs of what is working, and not working, on these systems… I have to support them, to support the community! Testing releases (betas) have substantial importance to everyone: they show progress, they show what Apple is focusing on and what they're doing poorly (needing fixes), and they show to the attentive a "pulse" of Apple's well-being. If readers are ignoring that pulse, they do so at their own peril; I was with Apple in the '90s, I saw how quickly things tank. (Ask any Microsoftie how the Vista era felt.) Seeing the releases on the "front" page of MacRumors should serve to create interest in folks; the more who get interested in the nuts and bolts, the healthier this ecosystem will be. Apple isn't perfect, and the quality of their software the past several years –should be concerning– to all (it has gotten significantly worse, not a good trend). If you're not having issues, I'd suggest you aren't using your Apple purchase to the value of its worth. And continual testing is the way those limits are polished to smoothness.

Wanting to ignore the beta releases, yet rah-rahing how great the Apple ecosystem is, is missing a fundamental component to the equation. A new beta to iOS or macOS is MORE important to me—to every one has already invested!—about Apple as is the rumor of a new piece of hardware… one is reality, one is fantasy (until it ships).

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
You don't know when a beta for a given segment og Apple's ecosystem comes out and therefore can't consolidate them all into one post - is there any historiy in recent beta streams that tells you that Apple does not send out betas for other products in their line up when releasing for any one other? You do however know how the next iPhone looks and features it will sport and you (editors) does not sit on your Laurels for that and keep pestering us - meaning me. MacRumors for Mac rumors or .. just kidding

Notice that light blue bar on the top of the MacRumors homepage? Look how it can contain one or two more tabs or pages. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have Beta up in tha hizzause right there? No stories what so ever? Only member submitted stories? Only have a forum for discussions and no homepage at all. Also, just kidding.

I don't mean anything by it.

Long live MacRumors, hurra hurra huuuurrrrraaaaaaaa

Milltek

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
U.S. Northeast
Any idea why it isn't coming up for N.E. US? Been on every public Beta since they started the concept and usually they appear in the App Store very quick but not this one. Ideas???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.