Apple Seeds Fourth Beta of tvOS 10 to Developers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today provided developers with the fourth beta of tvOS 10, the next-generation operating system designed to run on the fourth-generation Apple TV. tvOS 10 beta 4 comes two weeks after the release of tvOS beta 3 and more than a month after the operating system was first shown off at Apple's 2016 Worldwide Developers Conference

tvOS betas are more difficult to install than beta updates for iOS and OS X. Installing the tvOS beta requires the Apple TV to be connected to a computer with a USB-C to USB-A cable, with the software downloaded and installed via iTunes or Apple Configurator. Once a beta profile has been installed on the device through iTunes, new beta releases will be available over the air.

tvOS 10 builds on the features initially introduced in tvOS last October, bringing expanded Siri capabilities with topic-based search, Live Tune-In for automatically accessing live channels, and options for managing HomeKit accessories.

Single-Sign On allows users to sign in and authenticate cable credentials just once instead of requiring authentication in all cable-supported apps, games are now able to require controllers, and there are new features for Photos and Music.

A dark mode offers a better visual experience for darker rooms, universal apps are automatically downloaded, and there's a new Apple TV remote for iOS devices that mirrors the Siri Remote.

For a full overview of all of the new features in tvOS 10, make sure to check out our tvOS 10 roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fourth Beta of tvOS 10 to Developers

Reactions: jjm3

freediverx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2006
Has anyone figured out how to use single sign-on?

Also, stop posting these announcements wth links to generic information pages. You should detail specific changes introduced in the latest release.

kyleh22

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2012
Baltimore, MD
Thank god for dark mode. I missed that most from aTV3. The white is so overpowering at night in my basement.

I hope single sign on works with multiple accounts. I have VZ at my beach house and Comcast at primary residence. I have different movie packages on each account. This is probably a unique need that I doubt apple is coding to accommodate though :(

McDougle

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
New York
When swiping down on a video to view more info, does the video thumbnail load awkwardly for anyone else on the first try? Seems to load properly from there on. I believe it doesn't load the thumbnail at all on the first try if the video has chapters.

Edit: Looks like it was fixed in beta 5.

Last edited:

gruversm

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2009
Has anyone noticed the tweaking of the volume control to show an expansion of other devices....TV, receiver, etc?

ZomgNerd

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2015
Cleveland, OH

Also, stop posting these announcements wth links to generic information pages. You should detail specific changes introduced in the latest release.
Single sign-on needs to be integrated into the individual apps by the developer. It's not like you go to accounts and sign in. The developers need to change the way they do sign on. Get away from going to a website with a code and move to signing on inside the app.

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
Single sign-on needs to be integrated into the individual apps by the developer. It's not like you go to accounts and sign in. The developers need to change the way they do sign on. Get away from going to a website with a code and move to signing on inside the app.
Getting all those developers to update their apps is going to be a chore. Many of those apps are still on version 1 and it remains to be seen if Apple can motivate them to update their app to support it.

jclo

Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
California

A lot of the changes in tvOS and watchOS are bug fixes and minor tweaks that we're not aware of. Any time there's an outward-facing change, we do update with details on what's been included.

Reactions: Keane16

nollic

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2016
And Siri is still disabled in Sweden, making this one of the most worthless purchases I've ever done.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
And Siri is still disabled in Sweden, making this one of the most worthless purchases I've ever done.
Good life lesson for though - don't buy things which are not fit for purpose.

--------------

tvOS 10 betas have been pretty good for me. The new Apple TV Remote app is nice too. Dark mode is good, but I've stuck with the white (also use Arctic Zephyr in white on my Kodi installs).

MLVC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2015
Maastricht, The Netherlands
Siri is available in Dutch, but you can't use it if you have the language set in English. Siri in Dutch is rather useless because it doesn't understand English titles (and in Holland we don't translate the titles of movies, they're all in the original language). So I'm using my US account on the ATV, otherwise Siri is useless. Hope they change that, I just want to use the English Siri while using my Dutch account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.