Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeUser99

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016
Unable to download watchOS 6 Developer beta 4 — iPhone just keeps saying it encountered an error / retry or cancel.

I re-downloaded the watchOS profile, rebooted both the XS and the series 4 to no avail.

Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks
Same here.

Reactions: iGeneo

withitnow

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
Hey

I was a little thrown when iOS 13 beta's started coming with the changes around 3D Touch but I think, as people have said, it is to make the experience the same on non-3D Touch devices. But once I got used to the two options it works exactly the same as before, even 'peek and pop', so I am not sure what the issue is.

If you have a 3D Touch device you can still hard press for the 3D Touch options as well as 'peek and pop' so I am not sure what the issue is? You can just hard press or you can do it the new way with a long tap (slowest) or long tap with release. For a non-3D Touch device all of this has to be done by long tap (slowest) or a long tap with release. See my videos attached for 'peek and pop' on my 3D Touch enabled iPhone Xs Max and my non-3D Touch enabled iPad. When the peek opens, it stays open along with the menu list, if you want to pop then select the item, if not, tap around it.

I find that on a 3D Touch device, Hard Press is the quickest way as it was before rather than the new way of long press with release, wheres with a non-3D Touch device, Long Tap with release is quickest.

App icons is where it changed really and I think this was throwing many off, as up until beta 3, to access the app icon menus, you had to hard press and release, or long tap with release on a 3D touch device or just long tap with release on a non-3D Touch device. You couldn't just hard press as in other 3D Touch areas such as Mail and Safari. But as of beta 4, this is now back, the app icon menus appear with Hard Press (3D Touch device) or with Long Tap then Release or Long Tap (3D Touch device or Non-3D Touch Device). If you Hard Press or Long Tap and continue to do so after the menu appears, the icons will then wiggle to move if you don't want to use the new menu option to reorganise or delete apps.

So on a 3D Touch device everything is as it was before with the added options of using the new way of long press/long press and release.

Thanks

Reactions: celaurie

withitnow

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
I hope so. I’m a big fan of peek and pop and removing that function has felt like a step back for me.

for me the fact it feels the same speed on 6s as on the iPad and XR on iOS 13 but slower than 3D Touch on iOS 12 on my 7 or X is a sign they’re doing this so that the new iPhones this year don’t “feel” dated in function. 3D Touch was identical on 6s and 7 prior to iOS 13.

In terms of speed, this build is very smooth on iPad Pro 11”, XR, and iPhone 6s

See my post here:

Hey

I was a little thrown when iOS 13 beta's started coming with the changes around 3D Touch but I think, as people have said, it is to make the experience the same on non-3D Touch devices. But once I got used to the two options it works exactly the same as before, even 'peek and pop', so I am not sure what the issue is.

If you have a 3D Touch device you can still hard press for the 3D Touch options as well as 'peek and pop' so I am not sure what the issue is? You can just hard press or you can do it the new way with a long tap (slowest) or long tap with release. For a non-3D Touch device all of this has to be done by long tap (slowest) or a long tap with release. See my videos attached for 'peek and pop' on my 3D Touch enabled iPhone Xs Max and my non-3D Touch enabled iPad. When the peek opens, it stays open along with the menu list, if you want to pop then select the item, if not, tap around it.

I find that on a 3D Touch device, Hard Press is the quickest way as it was before rather than the new way of long press with release, wheres with a non-3D Touch device, Long Tap with release is quickest.

App icons is where it changed really and I think this was throwing many off, as up until beta 3, to access the app icon menus, you had to hard press and release, or long tap with release on a 3D touch device or just long tap with release on a non-3D Touch device. You couldn't just hard press as in other 3D Touch areas such as Mail and Safari. But as of beta 4, this is now back, the app icon menus appear with Hard Press (3D Touch device) or with Long Tap then Release or Long Tap (3D Touch device or Non-3D Touch Device). If you Hard Press or Long Tap and continue to do so after the menu appears, the icons will then wiggle to move if you don't want to use the new menu option to reorganise or delete apps.

So on a 3D Touch device everything is as it was before with the added options of using the new way of long press/long press and release.

Thanks
[doublepost=1563397404][/doublepost]
I suspect Peak/Pop is gone forever.

All the rumors show them removing 3D Touch from the iPhone 11, so it sounds like they're trying to unify the feature set on all the phones. :(

See my post here:

Hey

Thanks

Reactions: nordique

supergt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2019
For me the whole Force Touch / 3D Touch business is overrated. What actual difference does it make if you hard press on an icon or just keep your finger still on it for a few seconds to bring up the same set of commands? I personally use both on iPhone 7 (Force Touch) and iPad Air 2 (long press), no issues whatsoever.

There are a few considerations here. First, it is simply more pleasant for me personally to use 3d touch to clear notifications, peek and pop, and so on without having to wait for the extra seconds of a long press. Secondly and I would argue maybe more importantly is the principle of Apple marketing and then downgrading the functionality of a feature that they have sold on every iPhone (with the exception of the SE and Xr) starting with the 6S. Some will argue that they don't need to maintain it. Others simply don't care about it as a feature and that is fine for those people. But I say it's a bad business practice, especially since they still sell and market 3d touch on the Xs as a feature.

withitnow

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
There are a few considerations here. First, it is simply more pleasant for me personally to use 3d touch to clear notifications, peek and pop, and so on without having to wait for the extra seconds of a long press. Secondly and I would argue maybe more importantly is the principle of Apple marketing and then downgrading the functionality of a feature that they have sold on every iPhone (with the exception of the SE and Xr) starting with the 6S. Some will argue that they don't need to maintain it. Others simply don't care about it as a feature and that is fine for those people. But I say it's a bad business practice, especially since they still sell and market 3d touch on the Xs as a feature.

But it hasn't gone, peek and pop, extra menus, etc, all with a hard press as above. :)

amaze1499

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2014
Cool feature by the way is pinch/zoom the display keyboard to change it to the small floating one and back.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
See my post here:

[doublepost=1563397404][/doublepost]

See my post here:

for me on my 6s, I can peek but not pop. I can “pop” by tapping it a second time, but that’s not what peek and pop has been since iOS 9, where you peek at something and then press harder to enter that menu. Whereas on iOS 13 beta 4, on the 6s at least, if I long press I get the peek but there is no registration of the deeper press or the pop. I have remove my finger and tap the peeked link to enter the link as shown in your video

the only place for me where peek and pop work are on the 3D Touch app switcher or a 3rd party app that supported the function such as Instagram

for me it’s the same as this video on beta 4:

withitnow

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
Yes. Talking about it on reddit.

Work around at the moment on iPad is dragging it to the tab bar to open it as another tab. I don't think this is a permanent 'feature' of removing the menu option as it is also missing on my iPhone xS Max but you can't pull it to the tab bar like you can on an iPad. Bug me thinks. :)

Thanks

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
For me the whole Force Touch / 3D Touch business is overrated. What actual difference does it make if you hard press on an icon or just keep your finger still on it for a few seconds to bring up the same set of commands? I personally use both on iPhone 7 (Force Touch) and iPad Air 2 (long press), no issues whatsoever.

for you it may be so, but for a lot of iOS users who enjoy 3D Touch, it’s an issue

it’s not about how fast the context comes up. It’s the deeper functionality of 3D Touch and more importantly how it feels. For one thing it’s instant. It’s hard to gauge on iOS 13 because it’s no longer instant anymore. It was like pressing a button before, now it’s like pressing an icon and waiting for a split second, and then the button responds.

for me the deeper functions also include peeking and popping in mail, safari, messages. Simple things that since iOS 9 I have become used to, and are now gone. Replaced by something more clumsy or that adds an extra step. Now when I peek into a message, I cannot deeper press and have that message appear instantly.

Also when I let go, the messages home page does not return. Like peek is not just the press but also when you release, it goes back to the Messages or mail app or safari page. That loss of pressure sensitive context does feel like a step back and it’s baked such in iOS 13 so that the new iPhones this year don’t feel different with the OS. I get it, but it sucks. Apple is trying to compromise the feature as best they can but it’s not the same as before and that is what sucks for those of us who want that functionality intact.

so again, historically say you want to quickly read a message but don’t want to register it as read, you could peek and let go. Now you simply press it and the peeked link pops up. But letting go doesn’t return you to messages. It keeps the peeked link open and you have to tap outside the message to remove it. Or you tap again in the message to go to the message. This was instantaneous on iOS 9 to 12 and is no longer the case. Yes it’s faster now but it does not have the same functionality
[doublepost=1563400937][/doublepost]
But it hasn't gone, peek and pop, extra menus, etc, all with a hard press as above. :)

I don’t know about other models but on the 6s, it’s not the same because when I peek and let go, it doesn’t return to the prior menu. It stays, and that’s not 3D Touch. There’s no pressure response

This video demonstrates the letting go aspect that traditionally responded to pressure, and this is what I suspect apple has removed

Reactions: supergt

withitnow

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
for me on my 6s, I can peek but not pop. I can “pop” by tapping it a second time, but that’s not what peek and pop has been since iOS 9, where you peek at something and then press harder to enter that menu. Whereas on iOS 13 beta 4, on the 6s at least, if I long press I get the peek but there is no registration of the deeper press or the pop. I have remove my finger and tap the peeked link to enter the link as shown in your video

the only place for me where peek and pop work are on the 3D Touch app switcher or a 3rd party app that supported the function such as Instagram

for me it’s the same as this video on beta 4:

Ah I get you, from some of the comments it seemed like people thought 3D touching wasn't there at all. It is, just things are a little different. Yes, you tap to now 'pop' into the article, email or whatever it is, but the functionality is the same just the UX is different. For me, the old way of 'peek and pop' of having to keep your thumb or finger on the screen before deciding to 'pop' and then pressing harder sometimes got in the way of seeing what you were 'popping' into, the new way, you can 'peek' at the whole section with nothing in the way before deciding to 'pop'. But I appreciate people prefer the other way but I am sure over the course of these betas and future full releases, whatever Apple settle on, we will all get used to. :)

mgworek

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2006
Mail app still have broken all read function

as someone else pointed out earlier, mail is working a lot better then it ha but not perfect. I haven’t had to do all read yet but the app is still showing 1 unread under all mailboxes but at least the app icon isn’t showing 1 unread notification anymore.

Reactions: celaurie

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
Photographers rejoice! You can now access images off of memory cards which have no name (NONAME). I successfully copied from a connected SD card to a folder in iCloud using the Files app.

withitnow

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
Anyone successfully updated Apple Watch 4 yet?

Nope. I seem to be getting an error...

Same. On both series 3 and 4

Same here, restarted my watch, removed the beta profile and re-installed same error?

You need to remove profile.
Restart watch.
Install watchOS beta profile.
Restart watch AGAIN.
Profit.

As above, this worked for me as I found it on this post: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...atchos-6-to-developers.2190245/#post-27549900

But it didn’t work the first time. It did the second time only after I deleted the profile from the watch itself, not via the watch app. Maybe just the fact it was second time lucky. Either way, doing this eventually does work. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.