Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

os_x_yosemite_round_icon.jpg
Apple today seeded the third beta of OS X 10.10.5 to developers, nearly one week after seeding the second 10.10.5 beta and more than a month after releasing OS X 10.10.4 to the public.

Today's beta, build 14F25a, can be downloaded through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store or through the Apple Developer Center.

The first and second OS X 10.10.5 betas did not appear to include any consumer-facing changes, so it's likely that this update focuses on behind-the-scenes bug fixes and performance enhancements. OS X 10.10.5 beta 2 introduced a fix for the DYLD_PRINT_TO_FILE exploit that's been making headlines over the last few days, and the security flaw will be patched as soon as OS X 10.10.5 is released to the public.

Because we're just a couple of months away from the public release of OS X 10.11 El Capitan, OS X 10.10.5 will likely be one of the last updates to Yosemite, designed to prepare the operating system for its imminent retirement. It will, of course, continue to get bug fixes and minor repairs even after El Capitan's release to patch security flaws and fix other issues.

Over the course of its lifespan, OS X Yosemite has received four updates. The first two brought bug fixes and security improvements, while OS X 10.10.3, the most significant update to Yosemite, introduced the new Photos app, Force Touch APIs, new emoji features, and more.

OS X 10.10.4, the current version of OS X Yosemite, introduced multiple bug fixes and under-the-hood performance improvements, including the removal of the problematic Discoveryd process.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Third OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite Beta to Developers

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
The "Discoveryd" created a huge mess for environments with Multiple Macs, Apple TV and BTMM. Why Apple insisted on pushing that garbage code to users is beyond me.

Reactions: jjhny

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
The 10.10.5 solves the following issues:
  • Improves compatibility of Mail.app with certain Mail Servers
  • Improve compatibility of the Photos.app when importing GoPro videos
  • Solves an issue where QuickTime couldn't play some Windows Media videos
More information will be published here: https://support.apple.com/HT205004
Information about the security fixes can be found here: https://support.apple.com/HT201222

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2015-08-05 um 22.37.38.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2015-08-05 um 22.37.38.png
    100.6 KB · Views: 2,245

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
why even bother with it. el capitan is like snow leopard to yosemite. it runs on every yosemite-compatible mac.. yosemite is Lion of this generation, lol.
There's no need for someone to post something like this every time a new Yosemite beta comes out. We get it, El Capitan performs better. But some people want a stable OS, which is understandable.

Planey28

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Birmingham, UK
There's no need for someone to post something like this every time a new Yosemite beta comes out. We get it, El Capitan performs better. But some people want a stable OS, which is understandable.

One of the core focuses in 10.11 is stability, and Yosemite is still pretty buggy at this point. Either way, his post didn't warrant such a rude reply. It's just an OS.

rodpascoe

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2006
Truro, Cornwall
One of the core focuses in 10.11 is stability, and Yosemite is still pretty buggy at this point. Either way, his post didn't warrant such a rude reply. It's just an OS.

People are so rude on the internet - they'd never dream of saying the things they say in forums to peoples faces.

Agree with you fully, very rude reply to his entitled opinion.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014

precisely,

and to add for those who may question why this update to Yosemite - the final release of El Cap isn't until later this fall. That is still many months away, and companies aren't going to put their products or developments on hold just to wait for El Cap to be released. It is very likely this iteration of Yosemite will be released before then, it addresses some issues Apple feels are worth addressing, and as other posters have mentioned those who require the latest version of OSX in their work environments (especially design companies) can always do with more stability. This is important for developers to test out so that whenever the final build of 10.10.5 comes out, it benefits those, especially professionals, who depend on their Macs to be as stable as possible

musicus

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2004
UK
The public beta (build 14F25A) has just appeared in App Store.

Last edited:

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
precisely,

and to add for those who may question why this update to Yosemite - the final release of El Cap isn't until later this fall. That is still many months away, and companies aren't going to put their products or developments on hold just to wait for El Cap to be released. It is very likely this iteration of Yosemite will be released before then, it addresses some issues Apple feels are worth addressing, and as other posters have mentioned those who require the latest version of OSX in their work environments (especially design companies) can always do with more stability. This is important for developers to test out so that whenever the final build of 10.10.5 comes out, it benefits those, especially professionals, who depend on their Macs to be as stable as possible

Even if El Capitan were released today, or one had to wait a few months until the final release, it's going to be riddled with bugs as has always been the case. I'd wait for at least one update from El Capitan after initial release before getting on it.

Reactions: Lolito and wlossw

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
That's new, see the comparison
It appears you've done something to change the system font in 10.10.5. That is an improperly kerned version of San Francisco; are you sure that didn't affect the layout?

shanson27

macrumors 68020
Nov 27, 2011
It appears you've done something to change the system font in 10.10.5. That is an improperly kerned version of San Francisco; are you sure that didn't affect the layout?

Yeah, it's possible, that's why. Thanks

man3ster

macrumors member
May 12, 2009
I do not think apple should roll out new versions of os x every year. they should stay focused on stability and quality. only release software when it is stable and ready. this drive to come up with new things to put into os x every year is going to complicate the mac experience.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
If you think my reply is rude, please take a look at the one above mine. I tried to be as honest as possible, because 10.11 is still a beta and as such is not for everyone.

Sinjun

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2015
Seems pointless. Even at this early Beta stage, El Cap blows Yosemite out of the water regarding performance. Yosemite is a bloated, laggy OS and the sooner it's put out to pasture the better.

You are the One

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2014
In the present
I can only speak for myself and with my setup and use of apps Yosemite 10.10.5 (14F25a) is rock solid, no lag whatsoever, none of the problems some experience.

El Cap latest PB on the other hand... You really feel it's a beta. I'll enjoy El Cap when it's released, at the moment I'm very happy with 10.10.5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.