Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second beta of an upcoming iOS 12.1.1 update to developers, one week after seeding the first beta and a little over a week after the release of iOS 12.1, a major update that brought multiple new features to iOS.

Registered developers can download the new iOS 12.1.1 beta from Apple's Developer Center or over-the-air once the proper configuration profile has been installed from the Developer Center.

ios12banner-800x416.jpg

The iOS 12.1.1 update reintroduces the feature that lets you take a Live Photo while on a FaceTime call, and it brings improvements for the FaceTime user interface.

Following the update, FaceTime features a reworked bottom bar that includes quick access buttons for muting a call and flipping the camera. Sliding up on the bottom bar brings up additional options with conversation participants. Previously, FaceTime users were required to tap on three dots to access a secondary menu with these features.

For the iPhone XR, iOS 12.1.1 allows Haptic Touch to be used to expand notifications on the Lock screen. iPhone XR owners are able to long press on a notification banner to see additional content, much as other iPhone owners can 3D Touch on a notification to expand it.

iOS 12.1.1 also adds a new option in Apple News to hide the side bar on the iPad when using the app in landscape mode, it introduces an option to turn off the physical SIM in the device in favor of the eSIM, and it tweaks the icon of the Apple Watch app so it looks like the Apple Watch Series 4.

Update: Apple has made a new beta of iOS 12.1.1 available to public beta testers.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Beta of iOS 12.1.1 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

netdudeuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2012
I'm guessing that the camera flip icon change relates to currently needing to slide up and then change camera and then slide down. That top bar is too close to the red close button and I've accidentally hung up more than once. So, a welcome change.

Reactions: martyjmclean

netdudeuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2012
As it happens, I found a bug in the Messages app. I've not seen it mentioned on here so I deserve a reward from Apple

I can reproduce it every time. If you edit the list of apps that you can use in your messages, and try to delete Store, Messages crashes

Reactions: AkuskaUK

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
As it happens, I found a bug in the Messages app. I've not seen it mentioned on here so I deserve a reward from Apple

I can reproduce it every time. If you edit the list of apps that you can use in your messages, and try to delete Store, Messages crashes
The option to delete Store was removed in the first beta.

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
Can we get an option to hide the 3" home bar on the iPad 12.9? It's huge and I don't need it to remember to swipe up.

Reactions: NetMage

Jmoore24

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2018
Sure seems like this whole issue doesn't get the attention it deserves any longer. XS Max here, poor signal strength since purchase and through various updates it's minimally better. I'm personally leaning towards it being hardware related....

I was having the same issue even after Apple’s 12.1 update. However, I went to general>about and was notified of a carrier update. Once, I installed that carrier update from sprint my LTE speeds and connectivity greatly improved. Its now at or better than my wife’s iPhone 7.

arjun_assi

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2018
They should fix the choppy video playback on the XS max that so many users are facing !!!

Nemontm

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2018
How come no one reported yet that on this update they fixed notifications for the XR? You can now use haptic touch to pop notifications!

Apple today seeded the second beta of an upcoming iOS 12.1.1 update to developers, one week after seeding the first beta and a little over a week after the release of iOS 12.1, a major update that brought multiple new features to iOS.

Registered developers can download the new iOS 12.1.1 beta from Apple's Developer Center or over-the-air once the proper configuration profile has been installed from the Developer Center.

ios12banner-800x416.jpg

The iOS 12.1.1 update reintroduces the feature that lets you take a Live Photo while on a FaceTime call, and it brings improvements for the FaceTime user interface.

Following the update, FaceTime features a reworked bottom bar that includes quick access buttons for muting a call and flipping the camera. Sliding up on the bottom bar brings up additional options with conversation participants. Previously, FaceTime users were required to tap on three dots to access a secondary menu with these features.

iOS 12.1.1 also adds a new option in Apple News to hide the side bar on the iPad when using the app in landscape mode, it introduces an option to turn off the physical SIM in the device in favor of the eSIM, and it tweaks the icon of the Apple Watch app so it looks like the Apple Watch Series 4.

Update: Apple has made a new beta of iOS 12.1.1 available to public beta testers.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Beta of iOS 12.1.1 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.