Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second beta of tvOS 10.0.1, Build 14U66, to developers for testing purposes, two weeks after releasing the first tvOS 10.0.1 beta and three weeks after releasing the tvOS 10 update.

Designed for the fourth-generation Apple TV, tvOS 10.0.1 can be installed by connecting the Apple TV to a computer with a USB-C to USB-A cable, downloading and installing the software via iTunes or Apple Configurator. Once a beta profile has been installed on the device through iTunes, new beta updates will be available over the air.

tvossiritopics-800x508.jpg

No obvious outward-facing features were discovered in the tvOS 10.0.1 beta, so it's likely it focuses on bug fixes and under-the-hood performance improvements to address issues discovered since the release of the first version of tvOS 10.

Single sign-on, a feature that will allow Apple TV users to sign in once with their cable credentials to access all live cable content included in a cable subscription, does not appear to be in this beta and will be introduced in the future.

tvOS 10 brings improved search, expanded Siri capabilities, a new dark mode, a Continuity option for using the iPhone for text input, automatic download of universal apps, easy access to live TV, and more.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Beta of tvOS 10.0.1 to Developers

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
Single sign-on, a feature that will allow Apple TV users to sign in once with their cable credentials to access all live cable content included in a cable subscription, does not appear to be in this beta and will be introduced in the future.

Single sign-on is already present in tvOS 10 and working. Apps have to be updated to support it though. This is why it currently works in some apps like the Scripps Networks channel apps and not others.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
continuity doesn't work (pop up keyboard) so I hope this fixes it..

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Provider SSO can be manually configured if you hook up the Apple TV to Xcode and get the Developer menu to appear in tvOS Settings. Apps need to be updated to support a user friendly way of signing in though.

Reactions: liberte1776

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Single sign-on is already present in tvOS 10 and working. Apps have to be updated to support it though. This is why it currently works in some apps like the Scripps Networks channel apps and not others.
Nope.

Single-sign On did not make it into tvOS 10.0 release, and is still not present in 10.0.1 beta.

After Apple missed their target on the feature they added a Coming Soon label to it on this page: http://www.apple.com/tv/whats-new/
[doublepost=1475613412][/doublepost]
Provider SSO can be manually configured if you hook up the Apple TV to Xcode and get the Developer menu to appear in tvOS Settings. Apps need to be updated to support a user friendly way of signing in though.
Obviously this is for internal testing purposes, and when the feature is ready for inclusion there will be a location for it under Accounts in the Settings UI.

kcamfork

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
I have noticed that subtitles no longer work (Siri says they are not there. Funny. They were before) -- for video files not purchased from the iTunes Store. I don't know if this is solely a tvOS thing or not... they don't show up on iTunes either.

Totally annoying. I had to pay $10 for infuse 4 today because Apple took subtitles away on movies they did not sell.

The other side is looking greener and greener every day...

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Nope.

Single-sign On did not make it into tvOS 10.0 release, and is still not present in 10.0.1 beta.

After Apple missed their target on the feature they added a Coming Soon label to it on this page: http://www.apple.com/tv/whats-new/
[doublepost=1475613412][/doublepost]
Obviously this is for internal testing purposes, and when the feature is ready for inclusion there will be a location for it under Accounts in the Settings UI.
That's exactly how it works. After it is configured in the Developer menu, the option appears in Accounts.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Maybe the next update will fix an incredibly annoying problem that I now have and that is having to enter the password for my AppleID every single time I use my Apple TV. It's so annoying, almost to the point of me not even wanting to use my AppleTV anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.