Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Seeds Second Beta of tvOS 14.2 Update to Developers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second beta of an upcoming tvOS 14.2 update to developers for testing purposes, two weeks after seeding the first beta and a two weeks after releasing the tvOS 14 update.

Designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models, the tvOS 14.2 developer beta can be downloaded onto the ‌‌‌‌‌‌Apple TV‌‌‌‌‌‌ via a profile that's installed using Xcode.

tvOS updates other than new releases are typically minor in scale, focusing on under-the-hood bug fixes and improvements rather than major outward-facing changes. No new features or major changes were discovered in the first beta of tvOS 14.2.

Though we don't often know what's new in tvOS during the beta testing process, we let MacRumors readers know when new updates are available so those who are developers can download it upon release.

Apple's tvOS 14 update brought expanded Picture in Picture support, new HomeKit integration with HomeKit Secure Video cameras, support for multiple Apple Arcade profiles, and more, with details available in our tvOS 14 roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Beta of tvOS 14.2 Update to Developers

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Does it fix the busted Library tab?

Only been busted for years now.

MauiPa

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2018
Place your bets against 4K YouTube ever working? :p
I got it to work on the earlier macOS beta, I went to experimental and turned on VP9 codec on battery (which was weird, because it was plugged in) and it worked fine. so my guess is somebody somewhere forgot to change. setting. Last I heard, the google programmers were saying that 4k did not play on apple because of lack of support for VP9 (web that was old news), so did google forget to turn something on, or did Apple?

Realityck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I got it to work on the earlier macOS beta, I went to experimental and turned on VP9 codec on battery (which was weird, because it was plugged in) and it worked fine. so my guess is somebody somewhere forgot to change. setting. Last I heard, the google programmers were saying that 4k did not play on apple because of lack of support for VP9 (web that was old news), so did google forget to turn something on, or did Apple?
Unless this suddenly works with tvOS beta2, I really do suspect Apple tvOS more than latest Google app which is new. Here's hoping we finally have it working.

Last edited:

Sperious

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2019
Sweden
Unless this suddenly works with tvOS beta2, I really do suspect Apple tvOS more than latest Google app which is new. Here's hoping we finally have it working.

No, Google has confirmed on Twitter that they’re working on getting the YouTube app working correctly.

Sperious

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2019
Sweden
They only said on Sept 21, Apple TV 4K will support 4K playback soon. More to come!
Pretty vague. That doesn’t admit to it being just their issue.

Ok, perhaps so. But since after the tvOS 14 release Google still said that the Apple TV4K doesn’t support YouTube 4K playback and hours later deleted and apologized for that tweet, I’m pretty certain they realized they were wrong and needed to fix their app.

Also, since it worked during the betas it most likely isn’t Apple’s fault. Why would they pull support in the final release when they’re still saying on their website that the device supports YouTube 4K playback? Doesn’t make sense.

But who knows, really.

Reactions: Realityck

MauiPa

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2018
Place your bets against 4K YouTube ever working? :p
hahahahahahahaha. its working, nice try! I just tested it out, beautiful scenery, checked the TV sure enough, 4k
[automerge]1601423433[/automerge]
Ok, perhaps so. But since after the tvOS 14 release Google still said that the Apple TV4K doesn’t support YouTube 4K playback and hours later deleted and apologized for that tweet, I’m pretty certain they realized they were wrong and needed to fix their app.

Also, since it worked during the betas it most likely isn’t Apple’s fault. Why would they pull support in the final release when they’re still saying on their website that the device supports YouTube 4K playback? Doesn’t make sense.

But who knows, really.
its working!

Sperious

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2019
Sweden
hahahahahahahaha. its working, nice try! I just tested it out, beautiful scenery, checked the TV sure enough, 4k
[automerge]1601423433[/automerge]

its working!

What version are you on? 2.05.01 still isn’t working. It’s not 4K just because there is a 4K badge by the video thumbnail. That’s been there for months, possibly years.

gusnyc

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
New York City
I can't install the second beta. I am in the developer seeds. I get the "your Apple TV is up to date" message. I restarted, unplugged the ATV, but nothing seems to work, I am stuck on the first beta. Any suggestions to fix this?

msnow

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2018
SoCal
I can't install the second beta. I am in the developer seeds. I get the "your Apple TV is up to date" message. I restarted, unplugged the ATV, but nothing seems to work, I am stuck on the first beta. Any suggestions to fix this?

If you’re in the dev program then you need to install the new profile. If you’re not, you’ll have to wait for the new public beta.

MauiPa

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2018
Need a screenshot with stats for nerds.
Looks like I have to apologize. I was so happy to see the 4k, that I checked the TV and apparently the appletv upscaled the output to 4k, but YouTube was actually 1080. My bad, my apologies. (It did look great, imagine what it will look like when it finally is in 4k)

msnow

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2018
SoCal
Looks like I have to apologize. I was so happy to see the 4k, that I checked the TV and apparently the appletv upscaled the output to 4k, but YouTube was actually 1080. My bad, my apologies. (It did look great, imagine what it will look like when it finally is in 4k)
No need to apologize. Those things happen.

Realityck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Looked at various test VP9 and AV1 examples and no 4K capacity with most recent Youtube 2.05.01 Sept 20, 2020 release. I still think Apple has not enabled VP9 in tvOS 14.2 b2, because all the videos show it using AV1 at 1080P.

msnow

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2018
SoCal
Looked at various test VP9 and AV1 examples and no 4K capacity with most recent Youtube 2.05.01 Sept 20, 2020 release. I still think Apple has not enabled VP9 in tvOS 14.2 b2, because all the videos show it using AV1 at 1080P.

It’s more likely Apple is ready but Google hasn’t released their app to support it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.