Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Seeds Second Beta of watchOS 7.1 to Developers

MauiPa

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2018
Anyone have problems with battery life on the beta? 7.0 is awful for me on series 6. 7-8 hours with minimal use so was thinking of upgrading to see if it is any better.
nope, still get my 2 day battery life wearing it 24/7 and that's on a Series 3 with 83% battery health. Might want to check all the background app refresh under general. I turn all mine off, got no use for them doing anything unless I am using the app.

MauiPa

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2018
Series 6 here. I works initially, then, if I take my watch off or wake my Mac from sleep, it doesn't work. Tried all the fixes and nothing seems to be permanent.
You sure its just not a timing issue? Once you take the watch off then put it back on and unlock it, it takes a few seconds for the Mac to recognize that you did that after sleep. I thought that was an issue, but when it does that I click cancel and then try again, almost always works (well worked, my series 3 is not unlocking it, on the last betas, and I have not finished updating to the new ones yet. I'll check tomorrow

movieator

Contributor
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
You sure its just not a timing issue? Once you take the watch off then put it back on and unlock it, it takes a few seconds for the Mac to recognize that you did that after sleep. I thought that was an issue, but when it does that I click cancel and then try again, almost always works (well worked, my series 3 is not unlocking it, on the last betas, and I have not finished updating to the new ones yet. I'll check tomorrow
It's not. It happens even if I just put my Mac to sleep without removing my watch at all. It'll work the initial time, but then if my Mac goes to sleep, even for only a few minutes, it doesn't unlock with my watch. Weird thing is, the option is still checked in security preferences.

There's a thread on this around here somewhere. Apparently, Apple's engineers are looking into it.

It's not a life or death issue, but it's a nice little feature that should just, you know...work, I guess?

firewood

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Has anyone tried a (walking, running, outdoor cycling) workout with this Apple Watch beta? Does the watch now save a map of the workout track? More than just the starting point? Or is the bug where watch workout data won’t sync back to the iPhone still present?

Reactions: jollino

TooMuchPhone

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2019
Does the beta fix the mostly wrong color choices for the GMT face (sunlight hours should have more choices for the lighter color on the ring)?

tobybrut

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2010
Anyone have problems with battery life on the beta? 7.0 is awful for me on series 6. 7-8 hours with minimal use so was thinking of upgrading to see if it is any better.
Have you gone through disabling watch apps and notifications you don't need? I had to set my watch up as a new watch and am pleasantly surprised by 7.0's battery life after having to manually set everything back up. In my typical 14 hour day, I tend to end the day with 60-65% battery life left over. It's possible you have a power-guzzling app that hasn't been optimized for 7.0 yet.

Herojas93

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2020
I found one issue that is really strange.

Yesterday was the first time I went to running just with my SERIES 6 STEEL + CELLULAR and my AirPods 1st generation (AirPods selected in the control menu of the Watch).
I have noticed that approaching the Watch to my face the music cuts off and on continuously. Like if the fact of approach the Watch to the AirPods made any interference with the Bluetooth.
When I separated the Watch from my head music reproduced perfectly.

If I do the same test but selecting Apple Watch in the control menu of the Watch, everything goes perfect.

I tried to re-pair the AirPods but still same issue.

I don't know if the problem comes because my AirPods are the first one (W1 chip) or with the 2nd generation (H1 chip) also happens. If so this could means the Watch interfieres with the AirPods and will be a problem Apple must solve.

Derwinator

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
Me too. I was able to fix the poor battery life issue after installing public beta 1 but still missing the new watch faces. C'mon Apple, drop public beta 2!

Reactions: ferretex
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.