Apple Seeds Seventh Beta of iOS 10.3 to Developers and Public Beta Testers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 16, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the seventh beta of an upcoming iOS 10.3 update to developers, just three days after seeding the sixth beta of iOS 10.3 and three months after the release of iOS 10.2, the last major update to the iOS 10 operating system.

Registered developers can download the seventh iOS 10.3 beta from the Apple Developer Center or over-the-air with the proper configuration profile installed.

[​IMG]

iOS 10.3 is a major update, introducing significant new features and changes to the iOS 10 operating system. The biggest consumer-facing feature in iOS 10.3 is "Find My AirPods," which is designed to help AirPods owners locate a lost earphone. Find My AirPods records the last known location of when an AirPod was connected to an iOS device via Bluetooth and can play a sound on a lost AirPod.

Apple's latest update also introduces a new Apple File System (APFS), installed when an iOS device is updated to iOS 10.3. APFS is optimized for flash/SSD storage and includes features like strong encryption.

Apple plans to introduce some App Store changes in iOS 10.3, allowing developers to respond to customer reviews for the first time. iOS users are also able to label reviews in the App Store as "Helpful" or "Not Helpful," which should help surface the most relevant review content.

Apple also plans to limit the number of times developers can ask for a review, allow customers to leave app reviews without exiting an app, and provide a "master switch" that will let users turn off all app review request prompts.

Also new in iOS 10.3 is a redesigned app open/close animation, an Apple ID profile in Settings, a better breakdown of iCloud storage usage, warnings about outdated apps that won't work with future versions of iOS, HomeKit support for programmable light switches, improvements to SiriKit (bill paying, bill status, and scheduling future rides), CarPlay interface improvements, iCloud analytics options, and more.

For the last few betas, there have been no additional features discovered as Apple focuses instead on bug fixes and refinements ahead of a public release. We are likely nearing the end of the beta testing period, with a release expected in the near future.

Update: The seventh beta is also available for members of Apple's public beta testing program.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Seventh Beta of iOS 10.3 to Developers and Public Beta Testers

2. nortonandreev macrumors 6502

nortonandreev

3. DonniRJ macrumors newbie

DonniRJ

4. johnmcd macrumors newbie

5. tigertazz macrumors 6502

tigertazz

i hope the power drain I experienced on the last build is rectified. All the rest of the betas I had normal drain.

I'll be doing a clean install on public release

6. TechGeek76 Suspended

Yep! Downloading it now.

7. havenyoung macrumors regular

havenyoung

Looks like they are trying hard to push it for next week's likely iPad event?

8. andy.ringwood Suspended

Hm. Hoping for better my battery. No joke. Beta 5 was much better.

And we've had more updates in the past couple of weeks than Android have in one year! Love it.

9. Robert.Walter macrumors 65816

Burning thru betas
    Trundling down the line
    Next week come new iPads
    I'm feeling fine!

iPhone 6s: 442MB

10. roboats macrumors member

roboats

Quick turnaround, I dread all of these updates for Apple Watch! Hopefully this is final.

11. GCHASE1995 macrumors regular

GCHASE1995

12. itsmilo macrumors 65816

itsmilo

I am not even kidding, i hope it fixes the battery drain i experience on my 6, 7 Plus and Air 2

13. Brammy macrumors 65816

Unless it's a press release launch, I don't see an event happening next week. Apple sends the invites out a week ahead of time, and a Thursday event isn't normal for them.

14. tkukoc macrumors 6502a

tkukoc

Thinking the same, there's not going to be a big event for these releases. You'll see a press release and a come and get all the new gear over on our website.. store is now open. New watch bands, maybe a new case color or two.. red iphones.. a preorder for the new ipads.. download the latest OS updates.. enjoy.. see you for wwdc.. we've got more big things in store for you.

15. edgarraul98 macrumors newbie

edgarraul98

Omg could it be... can't be wait... I've been wanting a tablet for a while now

16. Dave245 macrumors 601

They could still send out invites next week for the week of the 27th event.

17. Brammy macrumors 65816

Yes.

But the person I replied to thought the event could be next week.

18. Dave245 macrumors 601

Fair enough, unless they send the invites out today or tomorrow I don't think it's happening next week.

19. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

20. Brammy macrumors 65816

With the exception of Antenna Gate, I don't think Apple has ever sent out invites less than a week early, and the events are usually on a Monday or Tuesday.

So, an event the week after is more likely than next week.

21. Ohduarte macrumors newbie

Ohduarte

22. havenyoung macrumors regular

havenyoung

Hmm I have a feeling that something is forcing them to hold on to the last day to sent the invitations.

23. dan9700 macrumors 65816

dan9700

So far beta 7 is much slower than beta 6 :( beta 6 was lightning fast at opening apps and closing them beta 7 seems much slower wow didnt expect a down grade

24. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68030

OldSchoolMacGuy

This would be the first time they've dropped new iPads without a keynote (short of the minor bump to the 4 from the short lived 3). Unless we see just a little bump this time around, I wouldn't think iPads would be included this time. If they are people will complain up a storm due to only minor improvements.

25. Brammy macrumors 65816

But I don't see Apple sending out invites today or tomorrow for a Monday or Tuesday event. I also don't see them holding a Friday event. The Antennagate event is the only Friday event Appple has held, and that was a reactive, not proactive event.