Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the sixth beta of an upcoming tvOS 11.3 update to developers for testing purposes, a little over one week after seeding the fifth beta and one month after releasing the tvOS 11.2.6 update.

Designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models, the tvOS 11.3 developer beta can be downloaded onto the Apple TV via a profile that's installed using Xcode and Apple Configurator.

tvos113beta.jpg

Early tvOS 11.3 updates introduced support for AirPlay 2, allowing the Apple TV to be added to the Home app as part of a HomeKit setup and enabling multiple Apple TVs in separate rooms to play the same song, but that functionality was removed in tvOS 11.3 beta 3.

It is not yet clear if Apple plans to re-add AirPlay 2 features ahead of the release of tvOS 11.3, but it's a possibility because there are still several betas to go.

Other new features in tvOS 11.3 include enhancements to Match Content support, automatic frame rate switching on the fourth-generation Apple TV (a feature that was added to Apple TV 4K in a past tvOS update), and automatic mode switching for AirPlay video sessions.

Update: Apple has also seeded a new tvOS 11.3 beta to its public beta testers.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Sixth Beta of tvOS 11.3 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

wannabefanboy

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
I’m still confused why it now shows up in the Home App if you can’t actually do anything with it there, what’s the point?

MrZippyUK

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2016
Now has the bug I reported been fixed yet, can’t really say more due to the NDA but I feel it’s serious so can’t be released if not fixed.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Atmos is probably in :apple:TV 7 or 8, circa 2023-29.

Airplay 2 is anybody's guess. Did Apple actually commit to any date or just something ambiguous like "later this year"?

Apple made a public commitment that Airplay 2 would be available in TVOS 11, as well as iOS 11. My guess is 11.3.x or 11.4.x

Scanjoe133

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2018
Has anyone noticed with this beta, that their HomePod is not working along with appletv or is it just me? Ever since I downloaded this beta, when I connect HomePod and go to watch something, the volume goes right to the tv?

borghe

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2018
Let’s see if this fixes the major HDR10 issue from the previous beta.

Edit - that’s a nope. As of last beta it will no longer trigger HDR10 on my TCL P605. It says the movie is HDR but it’s washed out. And when I force the range to HDR in settings it again says it’s in HDR but my TV stays in SDR. Meanwhile YouTube and VUDU on the Roku OS trigger HDR10 just fine (as the Apple TV used to two betas ago as well)

So to watch HDR movies I have to go into settings, turn off “match range” and set the Apple TV to SDR.

Last edited:

liberte1776

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2014
Let’s see if this fixes the major HDR10 issue from the previous beta.

Edit - that’s a nope. As of last beta it will no longer trigger HDR10 on my TCL P605. It says the movie is HDR but it’s washed out. And when I force the range to HDR in settings it again says it’s in HDR but my TV stays in SDR. Meanwhile YouTube and VUDU on the Roku OS trigger HDR10 just fine (as the Apple TV used to two betas ago as well)

So to watch HDR movies I have to go into settings, turn off “match range” and set the Apple TV to SDR.

You just need to buy a display that supports Dolby Vision!

borghe

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2018
You just need to buy a display that supports Dolby Vision!
It does (TCL P605). That actually doesn’t help the bug. If I leave it set to match range iTunes still sends the HDR10 metadata but doesn’t put my TV into HDR mode. It won’t use Dolby Vision. If I set it to Dolby Vision and turn off match range the dark areas of the picture are crushed and I literally can’t see anything there. The only way you can watch HDR10 movies from iTunes in the last two beta releasess, literally the ONLY WAY, is as I described above. Forcing the Apple TV to SDR and turning off match range. Hence it’s a major bug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.