Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second beta of an upcoming tvOS 11.4 update to developers for testing purposes, two weeks after seeding the first beta and three weeks after releasing the tvOS 11.3 update.

Designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models, the new tvOS 11.4 developer beta can be downloaded onto the Apple TV via a profile that's installed using Xcode.

tvos114beta-800x475.jpg

tvOS 11.4, paired with iOS 11.4, reintroduces AirPlay 2 features that were present in early tvOS and iOS 11.3 betas but were removed ahead of release. With AirPlay 2, the same audio content can be played on multiple devices (like the Apple TV) throughout your home. After installing iOS 11.4 and tvOS 11.4, the Apple TV will once again be listed in the Home app.

There were no other new features discovered in the first tvOS 11.4 update, and it's likely it focuses on bug fixes and other small improvements. Apple's tvOS updates have historically been minor in scale, and we may not find any other new additions.

We'll update this post should new features be introduced in the second beta of tvOS 11.4.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Beta of tvOS 11.4 to Developers

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I wonder if we’ll see support for Dolby Atmos anytime soon...

Are there any hints of it starting to happen?

happygodavid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Northern Virginia
Am I right in thinking AirPlay 2 is going to improve buffering and playback when airplaying from another device to the ATV? I swear I read that somewhere, and I hope it’s true...

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
Dolby atmos is pass through feature. All Apple had to do was pass through the original audio stream as is. I guess that is too hard for them!!!!

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Dolby atmos is pass through feature. All Apple had to do was pass through the original audio stream as is. I guess that is too hard for them!!!!

But passthrough means no system audio sounds can be mixed in, and Apple probably doesn’t want to do that. However, I assume there’s a way they can decode the stream, add the system sounds, and then re-encode the stream.

Andreas77

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2009
**** Apple!! Atmos is the thing i really want but I don’t think it will ever come so I will buy Xbox one x again and **** all my Apple products.

mikesch

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2015
Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 18.24.12.png

In this beta, the Movies and TV Shows icons were slightly updated with a new font for the "iTunes" text.

Reactions: shurcooL

smswings14

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2011
Anyone else having problems with adjusting volume with the remtoe with a bluetooth speaker or headphones attached?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.