Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fifth beta of an upcoming watchOS 5.1 update to developers, one week after seeding the fourth watchOS 5.1 beta and more than a month after releasing the new watchOS 5 operating system.

Once the proper configuration profile has been installed from the Apple Developer Center, the new watchOS beta can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General --> Software update.

applewatchseries4watchfaces.jpg

To install the update, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it must be placed on the charger, and it has to be in range of the iPhone.

watchOS 5.1 includes support for the Group FaceTime feature that's also available in iOS 12.1 and macOS 10.14.1, with Group FaceTime calls able to be answered in an audio-only capacity on the Apple Watch. Group FaceTime allows you to chat with up to 32 people at one time.

The watchOS 5.1 update brings a full-screen new "Color" watch face option for the new Apple Watch Series 4 models, with users able to choose between dozens of shades. There's also a filled-in circular color option for older Apple Watch models that joins the standard Color clock face.

applewatchcolor-800x557.jpg

Alongside macOS 10.14.1 and iOS 12.1, watchOS 5.1 introduces support for more than 70 new emoji characters like face with hearts, red hair, gray hair, curly hair, super heroes, kangaroo, peacock, parrot, lobster, cupcake, mango, and more.

For additional details on watchOS 5 and what was introduced in the new software, make sure to check out our watchOS 5 roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of watchOS 5.1 to Developers

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
It'd be nice if the older watches could have a full screen color (like the S4 has) but just round the corners off so it's not a square. Software radius on them.

I suppose you could do that yourself with the Photos watch face? But yeah the exclusivity of full screen faces is a bit pointedly lazy and not entirely justified

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
I suppose you could do that yourself with the Photos watch face? But yeah the exclusivity of full screen faces is a bit pointedly lazy and not entirely justified

Excuse my ignorance as I haven't used the photo face. Does that support analogue hands? Or is it digital only? I really should explore some of the more unusual options in the watch app.

menace3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
SERIOUSLY! I've been baffled as to why that complication was omitted from the most overly "complicated" watch face ever.

Hell I purchased the Nike versiona nd I cannot not even place the Nike complication on the Infograph. Beyond ridiculous. Oh well, just go the extra step and open after scrolling the apps

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
Excuse my ignorance as I haven't used the photo face. Does that support analogue hands? Or is it digital only? I really should explore some of the more unusual options in the watch app.

The photos face is digital. To do what you'd want would require some photoshop experience but it really wouldnt be very hard to create a custom image

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Things that are urgently missing from watch OS at this point:
-AirPlay control support for Siri “play music in the living room”
-Some system complications on the new watchfaces like messages, maps or remote app. Why on earth did they forget to implement these BASIC complications on the new watch faces?

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Things that are urgently missing from watch OS at this point:
-AirPlay control support for Siri “play music in the living room”
-Some system complications on the new watchfaces like messages, maps or remote app. Why on earth did they forget to implement these BASIC complications on the new watch faces?

Most likely these apps are managed by different teams, and those teams had no idea of the changes until they were announced, Apple keeps things a secret even internally. I don't see these getting added until 5.2 or later...

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Most likely these apps are managed by different teams, and those teams had no idea of the changes until they were announced, Apple keeps things a secret even internally. I don't see these getting added until 5.2 or later...
Unbelievable if this was what’s been going on. I mean cmon, those are basic functions. I guess the same goes for the team that manages Siri and the team that manages airplay, and the team that manages HomeKit- the fact that it’s not possible to automate certain airplay speakers through home or the watch- aaaaargh!

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
Apple has been treating the watch like the step child of the lineup.. it's like, they say it has all of these great features and then the watch does not ship with its biggest feature.. and no messages app on most of the new watch faces? If this thing didn't have a bigger screen it would be a harder sale over the S3 because it might be a little faster; but half of the features that were promised do not even work yet and you can't even check messages (something the S3 can do from any face you want) from the watch face.

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England
and no messages app on most of the new watch faces? If this thing didn't have a bigger screen it would be a harder sale over the S3 because it might be a little faster; but half of the features that were promised do not even work yet and you can't even check messages (something the S3 can do from any face you want) from the watch face.

What features don't work then, the only one for me is ECG and let's not get it twisted here, the Messages complication is not available on the 2 Infograph faces, 2 faces..not most.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
I wish it was possible to download podcasts and play through the apple watch speaker. It would be useful as I could play a podcast before I fall asleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.