Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
Its funny how often apple sets the standard and is willing to push the industry and just do things we would never see with any other company like retina displays. ITs even doubtful we would even see ultrabooks if it wasnt for the innovation of the macbook air. It makes me glad apple is around because they are willing to do things with design that other companies just wont do.

once the 13 inch retinas are released it will force the other manufacturers to take a second look at resolutions. apple leading the way as usual.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Except that high resolutions were standard on PC laptops well before Apple retinized things. 1920x1200 was quite common on 15" laptops and Apple was languishing at 1440x900. Personally I like 1440 better but you know, more is always better:rolleyes:
Hello eye glasses.

loneranger76

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2010
Except that high resolutions were standard on PC laptops well before Apple retinized things. 1920x1200 was quite common on 15" laptops and Apple was languishing at 1440x900. Personally I like 1440 better but you know, more is always better:rolleyes:
Hello eye glasses.

i agree apple takes concepts and extends them to a whole new level. example wud be ipod and now with the macbook screens. well done apple.

SlyMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
Retina = high res display. I agree they implemented and marketed their high res display well, let's not go overboard.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Retina = high res display. I agree they implemented and marketed their high res display well, let's not go overboard.

Yes... Let's Not!

Heck, I've been using hi-res IPS anti-glare ThinkPad Workstations for years.

The only reason the "Retina" label is big, is Apples skill at controlling buyers expectations & giving their features clever names.

Airport = Wifi, see what I mean ?

pdogg93

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
Yes... Let's Not!

Heck, I've been using hi-res IPS anti-glare ThinkPad Workstations for years.

The only reason the "Retina" label is big, is Apples skill at controlling buyers expectations & giving their features clever names.

Airport = Wifi, see what I mean ?

This argument always bothers me. Yes, "high res" has been around for some time in computer monitors, but 'retina' display is clearly the next level.

1900 x 1200 high res ips is not the same as 2880 x 1800 ips. It's not just their "skill at controlling buyers expectations" its new architecture that is setting yet another standard, just like the first iPhone did.

Just wait for the slew of inferior copycats in the next 2 years. Hopefully apple winning their patent case really lights some fires under other companies rear-ends.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
This argument always bothers me. Yes, "high res" has been around for some time in computer monitors, but 'retina' display is clearly the next level.

1900 x 1200 high res ips is not the same as 2880 x 1800 ips. It's not just their "skill at controlling buyers expectations" its new architecture that is setting yet another standard, just like the first iPhone did.

Just wait for the slew of inferior copycats in the next 2 years. Hopefully apple winning their patent case really lights some fires under other companies rear-ends.

to be honest, apples method of retina display is pretty awkward and not that well future proofed. i wouldn't be surprised if they go down a completely different way to do it. resolution independence is ultimately the goal here and the current way they're implementing it has no way of achieving this. i wouldn't be surprised if a different company came out with an actual resolution independent display first.

pdogg93

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
to be honest, apples method of retina display is pretty awkward and not that well future proofed. i wouldn't be surprised if they go down a completely different way to do it. resolution independence is ultimately the goal here and the current way they're implementing it has no way of achieving this. i wouldn't be surprised if a different company came out with an actual resolution independent display first.

I totally agree with you. That doesn't mean that they aren't the first to bring this kinda pixel density to consumer laptops. APPLE has once again told us what we are supposed to like, and I must admit, I don't want to go back to conventional displays.

Gomff

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Anyone who has seen thr rMBP cannot deny it looks gorgeous. Nothing comes close to it.

Looks aren't everything.

I prefer being able to upgrade my own RAM & Hard Drive. Plus experience has taught me that the industry takes a while to catch up with Apple's innovations....Thunderbolt is a case in point....my TB port still goes unused because peripherals are scarce and expensive. Frankly, a TB to USB 3 adapter would be the most useful thing for it right now.

It will be a long time before the Internet looks gorgeous on the retina screen simply because the vast majority don't have retina screens, so few developers cater for it. I agree text looks great because it's vector based and Apple can control how it looks. Graphics on the other hand....Not so much.

But if you're enjoying your rMBP, good for you....Glad you're happy with it.:)

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I would say it is because Apple has the clout to force evolution by ensuring that enough developers commit to supporting their products.

Imagine if the retina laptop had been created and marketed by a small, nameless company. They would probably have gone bankrupt from poor sales because no other developer would be willing to invest time and effort accommodating their unique hardware.

Still, I credit Apple with reminding the world that laptops can (and should) be small, lightweight, portable and not have to compromise on specs. In a time when you either had to choose between a netbook with anaemic specs, a mid range laptop that was fairly heavy and bulky, or an even heavier, bulkier desktop replacement, their air line was a breath of fresh air. :)

Dralt

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
A lot of people in this thread mix up high resolution and high DPI. Apple is doing high DPI.
And I can already tell you the next few years will be spent racing on the count of "high DPI" everything.

The industry needed a new (artificial) metric to replace the annual doubling of clock speeds, so that new number game comes in right on time.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA

The argument above is totally irrelevant. Apple doesn't even make these display panels.

They simply order them. An increase in resolution is not a milestone technical breakthrough.

Kid yourself all you want. Lot's of Apple buyers do.

The Genius is Apple's brilliant influence over the public.

Not what a retina display represents technically.

Anyone can order a display with higher resolution, then modify the hardware and software to support it.

Aug 5, 2012
The retina mbp is dogged with issues.

All apple has done is failed to launch another new product properly

pdogg93

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
The argument above is totally irrelevant. Apple doesn't even make these display panels.

They simply order them. An increase in resolution is not a milestone technical breakthrough.

Kid yourself all you want. Lot's of Apple buyers do.

The Genius is Apple's brilliant influence over the public.

Not what a retina display represents technically.

Anyone can order a display with higher resolution, then modify the hardware and software to support it.

Ok... But Apple was the first (yet again) to bring a laptop with that kind of ppi to consumers. It's the whole package, not just high rez monitor + software + computer components = retina macbook pro.

My point is that Apple is doing it first. That's all. Is there another laptop out there that gives users a similar experience?

area5x1

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2010
The retina mbp is dogged with issues.

All apple has done is failed to launch another new product properly

As an owner of a Retina MBP, I have no issues with the laptop, other than the heat which is a problem on all Apple laptops.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009

Apple tried arbitrary resolution independence. I believe that both Leopard and Snow Leopard had the ability to set a display scale via the command line, something like 0.75 or 1.33. The issue is that it's very hard to design interfaces that work at such arbitrary scales and it's also hard to test an application at all of those scales.

The result is that they switched to the method that actually worked on iOS, which is to build a system where developers only have to deal with either 1x or 2x modes. Then they took advantage of the fact that the pixel density is so high to do some tricks with scaling the final output to the screen to allow the 'larger text' and 'more space' modes. Applications don't have to know anything about that scaling.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Still, I credit Apple with reminding the world that laptops can (and should) be small, lightweight, portable and not have to compromise on specs.

There is nothing wrong with the specs on PC notebooks. Apple's laptops/Imac/Mac Pro specs are directed at the more professional class, those who have money to burn, and the pro wannabees. For the average PC user, Apple's specs are overkill. I often read on this forum posters asking what are the right specs for me. Most often their requirements are the same as those found on PCs. HP makes a fine high performance desktop computer. The combination of hardware/software/devices is what sets Apple apart from the other PC makers. It took a while but Microsoft has finally seen the light of what it takes to compete with Apple. So, your innuendo that PCs are somehow inferior to Apple is off base. There specs are different because of the clientele to which they appeal.

Aug 5, 2012
As an owner of a Retina MBP, I have no issues with the laptop, other than the heat which is a problem on all Apple laptops.

Myself and many other forum users have all had issues.

Mine were so bad that I returned it a week later and will wait for the next gen.

Shame on you Apple

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.