Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this afternoon shared a new video in its long running "Shot on iPhone" series, this time showing off the photographic capabilities of the iPhone 11 Pro.

The new "Snowbrawl" video features a cinematic snowball fight between two warring teams.

"Make your holiday videos epic with the highest-quality video in a smartphone, ever," reads the tagline for the video, which was directed by David Leitch.

Apple has also shared a companion video that offers up a look behind the scenes at how the new ad was shot.

Apple has shared many "Shot on iPhone" photos and videos over the years, updating the available content with the launch of each new iPhone model.

Apple's iPhone 11 Pro, which is used for the newest ad, features a triple-lens camera with the best wide-angle sensor Apple has released so far along with a telephoto lens and a super wide-angle lens for better landscape shots.

Article Link: Apple Shares New 'Snowbrawl' Shot on iPhone 11 Pro Video

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I love it when the creators really push the boundaries of the limitations of shooting on phones and with the latest iPhones there are, admittedly, fewer limitations. Imagination trumps technology and once again if you dream it you can make it happen. Well, you, and a few friends, and some stunt people, and grips, electrics, camera operators, hair and make-up, set dec, props, SpFX...

The point is with imagination and planning this can be done on an iPhone. Cool.

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
David leich could Make this video on a blackberry and it will look great - yes the pro has an excellent camera but the filmmaker it’s more important

Reactions: baypharm and z4co

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I love shooting with the iPhone 11 Pro camera. I went to Oculus Connect 6 in September days after getting the phone and was amazed what I could do. Between super wide angle and the image stabilization, it was just like having much more expensive equipment.

Disclaimer: I don't make any money from this video

Reactions: acctman

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I love it when the creators really push the boundaries of the limitations of shooting on phones and with the latest iPhones there are, admittedly, fewer limitations. Imagination trumps technology and once again if you dream it you can make it happen. Well, you, and a few friends, and some stunt people, and grips, electrics, camera operators, hair and make-up, set dec, props, SpFX...

The point is with imagination and planning this can be done on an iPhone. Cool.

Spot on! I've been saying that for years with respect to still photography and people being obsessed with acquiring the latest camera gear. For them it's about the hunt for "the best," rather than searching within and learning how to make compelling photographs that evoke and release narrative.

Back to the video...I love it! Very creative and well-done.

Will.O.Bie

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
Just goes to show that having a decent gimbal makes for another level of shooting with an iPhone.

Nicely done!

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Just how cold was it there for the shoot because I’d love to know how long the battery lasted or how many spare phones they had for it.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
When I was a kid we didn't have production crews lol
We didn't have snow :(
My friends were the production crew. We weren't pro like that, but I still like the ad.
[automerge]1575321000[/automerge]
Just how cold was it there for the shoot because I’d love to know how long the battery lasted or how many spare phones they had for it.
Is this still a problem with phone batteries? My iPhone 6's battery wasn't as good when I took it skiing, but it was still usable.

Last edited:

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
When I was a kid we didn't have production crews lol

I can certainly see a bunch of creative and highly motivated kids with imagination putting together something similar. Maybe not as polished, but still worthy of respect.

julesme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
Very well done and creative commercial!! That said, it feels like a misdirection, given the film crew of 20+ professionals needed to produce the video, as well as gimbal, lighting support, fog / snow machine, stuntmen, etc.

It reminds me of the iPhone ad where they throw food at the phone to demonstrate its durability, even though the durability most of us need is around drop protection, etc.

Last edited:

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
It's odd that iPhone 11 Pro doesn't actually use its 3 cameras together. They're just there so you can choose between different lenses. More importantly, digitally zooming into photos doesn't work that well. I thought it'd have a sensor capturing more than 12MP with lenses that big. So, overall pretty underwhelming for something so expensive and over-the-top looking.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Is this still a problem with phone batteries? My iPhone 6's battery wasn't as good when I took it skiing, but it was still usable.

I can say that the upgrade from my (almost two year old) iPhone 8 to the XR has completely mitigated my battery worries. The 8 was getting to the point that I needed to either top up in the car or carry a battery pack with me, particularly for vacations where I am using it all day as my camera and GPS as well. My XR just goes and goes.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
We didn't have snow :(
My friends were the production crew. We weren't pro like that, but I still like the ad.
[automerge]1575321000[/automerge]

It's not a problem but a full day of shooting video using lots of slow motion would probably necessitate about 5-7 fully charged iPhones ready to go. The cold was probably inconsequential mostly due to the heat generated from shooting video all day.

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
It's odd that iPhone 11 Pro doesn't actually use its 3 cameras together. They're just there so you can choose between different lenses. More importantly, digitally zooming into photos doesn't work that well. I thought it'd have a sensor capturing more than 12MP with lenses that big. So, overall pretty underwhelming for something so expensive and over-the-top looking.
Zooming seems to work great for me. What would using all 3 lenses accomplish?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.