Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today uploaded a new video to its YouTube channel promoting its iPhone trade-in program, which allows people to trade in their older devices when purchasing a new one to get an Apple gift card or to simply recycle broken electronics.

Apple either refurbishes iPhones that are traded in and resells them, or recycles older unusable devices for the components.

You've done great things with your iPhone, but at some point, you'll be ready for something new. You can easily trade it in with Apple so it can be refurbished and put back into the world so someone new can do their own great things with it.

But if your device is at the very end of its life, materials inside will be recovered and recycled. Either way, you can continue to do what you love while respecting the planet.
At the end of the video Apple uses the tagline "Do one last great thing with it." The new ad is featured on Apple's environmental website, which provides more detail on how the trade-in program works.

Apple has been heavily promoting its trade-in program in recent months as a way to cut down on the cost of new devices and to further its environmental protection efforts.

Article Link: Apple Shares New Video Promoting iPhone Trade-Ins: 'Do One Last Great Thing With It'

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
How about lower the prices and your sales will go up

Did you read the article or even watch the video? This ad Apple is advocating is discussing partially the recycling program, and ensuring that the trades in devices and the components in the phone will be recovered/recycled. This isn’t entirely about lowering the prices with the phones, with its environmental program being promoted.

Last edited:

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
Peak Pixel starts today, & could run for years.

AAPL (now) knows that, & is now stepping-up their efforts to try to salvage whatever remaining Sales they can from their mostly-Failed 2018 iPhone product line.

AAPL clearly screwed-up BIG time when they decided to move the iPhone product line so Upscale.

That's crystal clear to most.

Look @ the pricing of the Google Pixel 3A & 3A XL !

Google will start Eating AAPL's Lunch for the first timer ever, & that starts today !

AAPL's new video released today will very-likely be just one of many they'll release over the next six months.

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
I looked at the trade-in for the Apple Watch. I have a S3 and would quite like an S4.

Apple offered me £85 for a mint non-Celluar 42mm Nike AW3. I can get double that on eBay.

I'm not really seeing the benefit of this system.

Reactions: Boatboy24

racerhomie

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2015
India
You can hear the desperation from here.
I hear the same desperation from Samsung & Xaomi .
[doublepost=1557251127][/doublepost]
I looked at the trade-in for the Apple Watch. I have a S3 and would quite like an S4.

Apple offered me £85 for a mint non-Celluar 42mm Nike AW3. I can get double that on eBay.

Why not just sell it on Craigslist or Ebay and stop whining.
[doublepost=1557251215][/doublepost]
not true. Its a balance.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Peak Pixel starts today, & could run for years.

AAPL (now) knows that, & is now stepping-up their efforts to try to salvage whatever remaining Sales they can from their mostly-Failed 2018 iPhone product line.

AAPL clearly screwed-up BIG time when they decided to move the iPhone product line so Upscale.

That's crystal clear to most.

Look @ the pricing of the Google Pixel 3A & 3A XL !

Google will start Eating AAPL's Lunch for the first timer ever, & that starts today !

AAPL's new video released today will very-likely be just one of many they'll release over the next six months.

iPhone made 31 billion last quarter they are fine.

Peak pixel, no such thing.
Ithe device would actually need to sell in order to have a peak.
eeb982af7bf39c8eeaed5537a976945a.jpg

jacobh101

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2014
Boston, MA
the perceived cost at purchase seems high for iPhone, but looking at total cost of ownership and adding the value when trading in your old Apple device shows that iPhone prices are actually quite low. some flagship devices from competitors cost you money to recycle, after a few years with iPhone there's several hundred dollars value in resale value.

bag99001

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2015
There is a robust used iPhone market, and I think this has the double benefit of reducing that inventory and thus the supply/demand value proposition, and also allowing people to feel like they are paying less for a new iPhone. Double whammy-benefit for Apple.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012

It’s a program for folks that can’t be bothered or don’t want to go eBay route. They can easily liquidate a portion of the residual value in their products. If time is more important to you than extracting max residual value, or if you are just impulsive, this is a program for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.