Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple updated its website recently with the announcement of a new retail location's grand opening in Tokyo, Japan, along with renovation news for its store in Natick, Massachusetts.

In Japan, Apple will open its new Apple Shinjuku location on April 7, 2018 at 10:00 a.m. local time. The store will be located in the Shinjuku Marui main building -- a department store in Tokyo -- and mark the eighth location for Apple in Japan. Apple previously launched one of its high-end Apple Watch shops at the Isetan Department Store in Shinjuku, allowing customers to browse the original $10,000+ Apple Watch Edition and other models.

apple-shinjuku.jpg

In the United States, the company announced that it will close Apple Natick Collection for renovations starting Sunday, April 22. The store is located in Massachusetts' Natick Mall, which is the largest shopping mall in New England by number of tenants, reaching 250 as of 2018. Apple notes on its page for the store that customers can visit Apple.com/retail to find the next store closest to them while the Natick mall location is closed.

More of the latest Apple Store openings in 2018 include Apple Kärntner Straße in Austria and Apple Garosugil in South Korea. In terms of the overall tally of Apple retail locations around the world, Apple Garosugil was the company's 500th store opening on January 27, 2018, following seventeen years after Apple's first two stores opened in May 2001.

Article Link: Apple Announces Shinjuku Store Opening in Tokyo on April 7, Natick Mall Store Closing for Renovations April 22

Last edited:

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
Interesting - I guess that means the Shibuya store will be closed for a while longer (it's been closed since the end of November).

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Interesting - I guess that means the Shibuya store will be closed for a while longer (it's been closed since the end of November).
The Shibuya store was a dump. The times I really needed to make a same-day Genius appointment and the Ginza and Omotesando stores were fully booked but Shibuya had some openings, I'd pass and wait another day or two.

Definitely looking forward to seeing the Shinjuku store, though.

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
The Shibuya store was a dump. The times I really needed to make a same-day Genius appointment and the Ginza and Omotesando stores were fully booked but Shibuya had some openings, I'd pass and wait another day or two.

Definitely looking forward to seeing the Shinjuku store, though.

It did seem to also be too small... not sure how they're going to fix that in the same location.

Reactions: japanime

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
It did seem to also be too small... not sure how they're going to fix that in the same location.
Yeah, the confined space did seem to be a big part of the problem. That, plus the utter chaos on the sales floor. I often wondered if there were any managers on duty. More often than not, it felt like walking into a day-care center.

The Omotesando store, on the other hand, offers a really nice shopping experience.

Reactions: friednoodles

Luke MacWalker

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2014
Still no news about the reopening of the Apple Store in Sapporo, Hokkaido?
After the building had been renovated, the Apple Store has been replaced by a Sony Store. First the Apple Store was supposed to reopen "soon" in a new "better" location, but later all information about it disappeared, as well as recruiting ads. :(
The "stores in a store" that are supposed to replace the Apple Store are really subpar and absolutely do not offer the quality of service we expect from Apple.

Last edited:
Reactions: japanime
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.