Apple Should Buy This Company and Incorporate the Sensor/Software Into the Second-Gen

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MICHAELSD, May 6, 2015.

1. MICHAELSD, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015

MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

"GoBe uses an impedance sensor to measure the fluid moving in and out of your cells—continuously, around the clock.
    Healbe FLOW™ Technology uses an advanced algorithm to analyze impedance readings and calculate calorie intake based on your glucose curves, giving you a complete picture of your calorie and nutritional intake over time."

http://www.healbe.com

It seems like a natural extension of an active calorie tracker to also calculate caloric/nutritional intake. A feature like this would have blown me and many others away. Early reviews show the company's accurate within 15% claims to be true, and Apple's research labs could close that window. It is unique, breakthrough sensor/software combos like this that will make AW truly useful.

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Looks interesting but does smell a little like snake oil. Hopefully Apple is looking at this.

3. David R, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015

David R macrumors 6502

Sort of sounds like the Bodybugg that (now) 24 Hrs Fitness sells (the caloric tracking, not sure if they technically work the same way.)

EDIT: Nevermind, this is intake. I do believe this is snake oil but I'd love to be proven wrong.

4. wdfly macrumors regular

treadmils have been using this forever and it's not all that accurate IMO.

5. Xcellere macrumors member

This counts intake, not burned.

6. David R macrumors 6502

You are right.

This is actually a very questionable company: http://pando.com/tag/healbe/

7. wdfly macrumors regular

indeed you are correct, i apparently didn't pick up on all of the statement when i read it the first time.

8. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

Yea I am really excited for the watch to improve in future generations in the fitness and activity tracking areas. This technology looks really interesting.

9. Xcellere macrumors member

Even if this specific company is BS, when Apple does eventually integrate a calorie intake counter into the Watch, it'll be the holy grail of health tracking.

10. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Questionable? Yes, but that is to be expected for such a new device. No other device can track calorie intake. It does seem to live up to its accurate within 15% claims though, which is impressive.