Apple should give user expandable memory for iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mark28, May 13, 2012.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

I was checking how much those 64 gb microSD are costing, and it's dirt cheap. Even 128 gb ( 2 x 64 gb ) is alot cheaper than the upgrade of 16 gb --> 64 gb that Apple gives you. :eek:

The iPhone 5 better have user expandable memory because Apple is ripping everybody off with their outrageous overpriced memory upgrade.

2. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

You won't get it. And Apple is notorious for over pricing memory. Look how much they charge for RAM in the Apple store!

3. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

There are times when you should never say never but in this case, it will NEVER happen. Apple is too greedy and make their fortune by fleecing their users to over pay for the slightest storage upgrades.

4. matttye macrumors 601

Yeah definitely.

I don't know how they can even justify the prices they charge. 64GB is £100 than 32GB and 32GB is £100 more than 16GB. They're selling 16GB and 32GB storage for the same price - £100 - both of which are massively overpriced.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Adding a slot for a micro-sim would take up space. Not going to happen.

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

I like having limited memory. Keeps me in control.

7. cynics macrumors G4

Are you Apple? If not I'm not seeing what control you have.

8. aneftp macrumors 601

Considering many manufacters are moving to not only no user expandable memory but also no replaceable battery.

Nokia Lumia 900 has 16gb and no microsd slot and non removable battery.

Same for the htc one x 16GB and non expandable memory on the AT&T model. The international has 32GB non expandable.

The galaxy nexus gsm model has 16gb non expandable memory. Verizon glaxy nexus has 32GB non expandable.

Seems like manufacters are copying Apple's trend.

9. rjohnstone, May 13, 2012
    Last edited: May 13, 2012

rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

And those are some of the main complaints against those devices.
    Many choose to stay away from them due to the lack of a MicroSD slot.

Thank god the GS3 will be expandable to 128GB. (64GB internal + 64GB MicroSD)

10. RafaelT, May 13, 2012

RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

lol, your funny.

That will never happen, that goes against everything Apple.

11. aneftp macrumors 601

What next? So you get 128gb. Right after that people will want 256GB. It never ends

I understand people have huge music collections and some apps they up a ton of space and some people keep HD videos galore.

But ask yourself how much do want in a portable device that probably can't last a day on a single battery charge.

The cloud is where everyone is moving to. Microsoft skydive. Google with their cloud and music. Apple too also. Yes some people are limited by throttle limits and tiered data.

12. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I use my phone for more than just music and apps. I treat it as a portable HD on many occasions.
    The "cloud" is worthless if you have a metered data plan and need to move a lot of files around. Even if you have an unlimited plan, the "cloud" still has its drawbacks.
    Download speeds can be unpredictable and if you actually depend on your phone, some level of predictability is required.
    I drop documents, presentations, hell I even put full software installation disks on my phone if I feel I might need them for whatever reason that day.
    I like having options.

13. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

64 gigs is plenty for a phone. I have 32 on my iPhone now and its filled up i will be getting a 64 for the new phone. I don't want expandable memory no more slots on the side a sim card slot is enough.

14. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I would gladly give up having massive amounts of onboard memory if I were given a microSD slot. Getting rid of the onboard flash would likely save more space than adding a slot would take.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Nope, the other way around.

I don't want a phone with a smaller battery (because that's what would have to get smaller for a slot to be put in) just to have yet another port that moisture and dirt can potentially get in to.

This is a plan that introduces several big negatives and in return I get one small positive. Not a good trade.

16. Interstella5555, May 13, 2012

Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Beyond the tiered data plans, you think that accessing all your media over the cloud [i.e. consuming data] won't effect battery? How about when you're on a plane or a metro where you can't access it? I too look forward to the days when not only do I not own my music but can't dictate how I get to it. But just maybe I'll keep my music on my iPod an computer...just in case it wouldn't be convenient the way you describe. [side note - increased date ≠ decreased battery life]

17. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

Never thought in a million years that back in 1985 a 25MB harddrive on a pc could get filled. It was an inconceivable concept. Now phone apps can reach 2GB in size. Something to contemplate.

18. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Last time I checked, the size of the onboard flash is larger than the size of a microSD slot. I'd gladly give up the onboard flash alltogether if I could have a microSD slot.

19. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Exactly. If they allowed expandable memory, you wouldn't buy their overpriced memory, would you?

20. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Which is the only reason Apple doesn't add a microSD slot. I'm sure they could make it work without sacrificing onboard memory if they really wanted to. Other manufacturers managed to do so without making their phones thick. But they would lose out on a major expense that adds to their near 100% profit margins.

21. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Indeed. That's why I'm getting an Android tablet rather than an iPad, as I'm going to be putting a lot of videos on there, and getting 64GB of storage on an iPad would cost near $1000.

22. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

That will never happen, it's contrary to Apples business model. It's free enterprise. Apple is free to push the limits as high as they want regarding pricing. They didn't get to where they are by offering value. Nor are they about to start. I don't like it anymore than anyone who is aware of the obscene amount of markup.

It is what it is, and not a new development. The sensitive types will rail against the expression "Apple Tax" but it's the truth. That refrain didn't just drop out of the sky.

One either hands over the money, or walks away. It's Apples extreme arrogance & corporate culture, I find hard to overlook. And that's a true fact. Believe me I know, I wish I didnt.

On a positive, encouraging note, Tim Cook lacks those disgusting characteristics. It will take him time, but he will improve every aspect of the company in ways that will prove that there's more than one way to achieve their goals & objectives.

Apple is on an excellent trajectory now, wait & see.

23. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

The Nexus has never had expandable memory but all the other Samsung phones do in the Galaxy series. HTC's decision to not have expandable memory in their One series phones has lost them a customer in me.

24. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm pretty sure the memory Apple has in the iPhone is MUCH faster than access from a MicroSD card...