Apple should have gotten rid of the 4s and made the 5c free

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rainking, Sep 10, 2013.

1. rainking macrumors regular

Apple should have gotten rid of the 4s, made the 5c free and the 5 $99.

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I think that is what everyone was expecting. Not dumping the 5 and charging the same amount for the plastic 5.

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Not sure why they kept the 4S around. Didn't Tim even say "we didn't keep old models around this year"?

Should have made an 8GB 5C for $0 and been done with it.

4. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

But then the 5$ wouldn't be printing money would it?

5. sandwicher macrumors member

Yeah they could, and bleed through the profits?

There are costs involved, dude.

6. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

Or even the old 5 free..

I wonder what they will do with all of their iphone 5 stock's.. no way they can sell it before the 20th. I guess it will just be used to swap out people broken 5 when needed instead of using refurbs.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Keep dreaming OP. That's a ridiculous thought.

8. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

So now I'm stuck with an obsolete phone for 16 months instead of an outdated one. Thanks, Apple :mad:

Who is going to get an 8gb 4S?

9. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

So many people were so confident that they would get rid of the 4S. I however knew that they were going to keep it.

Who will get an 8gb 4S? Many people who want a free iPhone that is still super fast and can run the new software well.

10. damie45 macrumors newbie

They kept the 4s instead of the 5, because consumers love comparisons. If one should go to apple's website and compare all their models, the 5s looks more enticing when compared with the 4s vs if it was compared with the 5. Plus there would be no need for the 5c. It's just business or is it unjust business? Either way we all in the business of making money.

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

My girl uses her 4S (my old 4S) rather minimally. Assuming it doesn't break, she could keep using it like she does for another two years and still would be happy.

12. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

Theres not enough innovation to make the 5 free, just look at the 5C and the 5S! Now if the iPhone 6 came out, that would be a totally different story.

13. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

14. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Yeah I don't get how keeping the 4S around makes any sense..

15. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Think about it. If they would have gotten rid of the 4S, they would have had 5,5C,5S. 5S is top of line, 5C is an iPhone 5 covered in polycarbonate, and 5 is obviously made of aluminum (but is still LAST YEARS PHONE). By getting rid of the 5, they use the 5 guts to stuff into the new 5C, that's now the "midrange" and the 4S 8gb is free. Why would they make last years phone free, or even make a "newer-old phone", the 5C free.

They wouldn't come out with the 5C and offer it for free, nor have last years model (iPhone 5) offered for free. They always have the 2 year old model free. I called this. Everyone swore the 4S was gone.

16. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Oh I plan on keeping the 5 at least until my contract is up. I just think it's ridiculous that they're dropping a year old model and keeping a 2 year old model. The 4S is 3G or HSPA. OLD TECH.

17. AAPLinc, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013

AAPLinc macrumors 65816

But essentially they aren't dropping the one year old model, because the 5C is the 5 in a new set of clothes.

If anything, this will make Apple more money. People will spend the extra $100 to buy the 5S over the 5C because it has the FP sensor and it's faster and more quality looking, and people will buy the 5C too, because of the colors and it's half price. It's a win/win for Apple.

And people will STILL be signing onto 4S because it's simply free. Apple has routinely offered the 2 year old iPhone model for free. It wouldn't make sense for them to get rid of the 4S. They wouldn't offer the 5 OR the 5C for free.... so what now, they're not going to have a "free" option? Getting rid of the 5, although some find it sudden, makes the most sense for them, they are a business.

I dont understand why people dont get it.