Apple should have integrated iMessage into iCloud

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by El3ctronics, May 16, 2012.

1. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

iMessage on the iPhone has been fantastic and truly changed the way I communicate with my friends and coworkers. From group messaging, to high quality image/video messaging, the delivered/read receipts, it really has become a tool that I use a lot. That being said, I think Apple is making a mistake by only integrating iMessage into their desktop Messages client instead of putting it in the cloud as part of iCloud.

By only focusing on the desktop, Apple is prevent a large portion of their users from using the service from their computers. At work like many others, I'm forced to use a PC which right off the bat means I can't communicate via iMessage unless I use my phone or iPad. Same if I'm using a computer that isn't mine. Apple had a great opportunity to make iMessage the first true mobile/desktop/cloud messaging client so I'm a little disappointed they're not taking advantage.

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

It's a selling point for both osx and iOS products. They want to leverage that to sell more of both of those and giving it away to everyone via iCloud would go against that.

3. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

While I understand what you want and agree that it would be great, Apple is all about control. They want you to use OS X and iOS. Not Windows.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Apple's not interested in selling more Windows PCs.

5. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

Same could be said about the other iCloud services (ie: address book, calendar, etc) but that's the point of iCloud...to make Apple's services available in the cloud.

6. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

iTunes and the iPod did not take off until iTunes was ported to Windows. Look what happened to Apple since then. No need to exclude a major segment of users.

7. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

But last time i checked icloud.com there wqs not a sign up page for a free account! Nless you own a mac, iphone, ipad and so on.

8. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Am I missing something here?

http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/pc.html

9. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Yes u rite! But we were talking about icloud.com rite?! :rolleyes: thats a damn app you have to download and have it running on your pc.

I never say anything about PC. Reading sometimes help brah.

10. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I am 100% certain that you don't have to have a mac, iPad, iPhone, iPod to log into icloud.com or have to pay for anything. Next time know what your talking about brah :cool:

11. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Read again brah! I never said anything about "LOG IN" i said sign up for an account straight from icloud.com

Double facepalm?