Apple should improve iMessage

jimmyhellyeah12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
iMessage is sweet and all, but when you have the crappiest data connection, I just wanna send an SMS. Is it likely Apple will ever let the user chose what type of message is sent in the app itself? It could be implemented easily, like press and hold the send button to change between green and blue or something? Or something better than that? Opinions please!!

Shadow%20Mac

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
California
iMessage is sweet and all, but when you have the crappiest data connection, I just wanna send an SMS. Is it likely Apple will ever let the user chose what type of message is sent in the app itself? It could be implemented easily, like press and hold the send button to change between green and blue or something? Or something better than that? Opinions please!!
You can already do that. Press and hold the sent iMessage and select "Send as Text Message"

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
It must be noted that this can only be done while it's being (attempted to be) delivered as an iMessage.
I think holding down on the send button to select the type would be very confusing and unwanted by most users. iMessage is great because it is so seamless. Tapping send as text message only takes about a second, so I think the current setup is perfect.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Resolution is to switch to a carrier that provides a solid data connection. This is not Apple's problem to fix.
No, Apple is the one that programmed the phone to display a status when, in actuality, the status is unknown.

iMessage should not show me a status until it can confirm it. If the connection is bad and it can't tell then it should tell me that it can't tell. Not just guess and pretend it knows.

That is entirely under Apple's control.

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
No, Apple is the one that programmed the phone to display a status when, in actuality, the status is unknown.

iMessage should not show me a status until it can confirm it. If the connection is bad and it can't tell then it should tell me that it can't tell. Not just guess and pretend it knows.

That is entirely under Apple's control.
this

----------

Apple should shut down iMessage. That service is as buggier as ****.
no