Apple should move into handheld gaming

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThatsMeRight, Dec 14, 2011.

?

Apple should make a 'game pad' accessory and enter the handheld gaming market

1. Yes, they should

22.4%
  2. No, they shouldn't

64.7%
  3. Other (comment)

12.9%
  1. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Am I the only one who wonders why Apple isn't moving into handheld gaming?

This below is actually a real accessory.

[​IMG]

I just wonder why Apple doesn't make one of these. Sell them separately for iPhone and put it in the box for iPod touch buyers.

Apple will be able to control handheld gaming this way. Apple's App Store already has some great games: a lot of small games, like Angry Birds and Flight Control, but also huge games like FIFA 12 or Need for Speed.

I believe Apple should really enter the handheld gaming market:

- iPod touch will be sold as both the iPod touch as we know it and as a gaming device. This 'game pad' should be included in the box.
    - iPhone will be sold as, well, the iPhone. 'Game pad' separately sold for like $29.

Such a 'game pad' accessory, would make an iPod touch (and iPhone) like a real handheld gaming device.

Obviously, Apple could decide not to include the 'game pad' at all (with the iPod touch), but I actually believe it is necessary to include the 'game pad' with OR the iPhone OR the iPod touch. This way, developers will be encouraged to build-in support for the 'game pad'.

What are your feelings about this?

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

It's a good idea on paper but I think Apple knows that they're doing. I would hate to have certain games that require accessories to be played.

3. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

I understand what you mean. Apple probably does know what they are doing, but it doesn't mean this is a bad idea just because Apple hasn't done this (yet).

That's also why I believe Apple should put such a 'game pad' in the box with the iPod touch, but not in the box with the iPhone.

This way, developers are forced to consider that a lot of iPhone users won't have a game pad and that touch controls should be available. Apple can also demand of iOS games that they always support touch controls, and that a game pad is always optional. :)

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Apple should allow apps on the ATV2, use the handheld iOS devices as fancy controllers i.e. Scrabble for the iPad.

5. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

I think it doesn't need to do that and you probably haven't check apple prices 29$ will be a no no, is 29$ for the wall adapter from apple ( you know the one the comes in the box ) and sure fps ate hard to play but there are some games that make sense on iOS, but no all and even like how it is right now iOS and android are beating the PSP and Nintendo ds, I think is good how it is right now

6. james92se macrumors 6502a

What is that pictured?

The iControlPad I remember looks nothing like that. Or is that merely a rendering of a future update of it?

The problem is those sorts of things don't work with any real App Store games, just emulators when jailbroken (unless it's changed recently)

7. thebignewt macrumors regular

The reasons not to:
    1: They would be late to the party.
    2: The accessory doesn't cost much, low profit margin.
    3: They would have to make something new and innovating, not copy something somebody else already offers.
    4: You can already play plenty of games on their devices now.
    5: Handheld gaming is mostly for your persons who probably don't have the money to buy other expensive Apple stuff, it's a niche market which they tend to avoid.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Correct portable gaming device
    [​IMG]

Incorrect
    [​IMG]

REALLY incorrect
    [​IMG]

It's not just Apple deciding "Hey, let's build games!!!" They need dedicated game devs, third party support, and a highly functional gaming device, which wouldn't be on a phone (battery life being the largest issue). Beyond that, the portable gaming space is pretty packed right now, even with MS being strangely absent from the party.

9. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

They are!

10. ThatsMeRight, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011

ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

1) Apple never has cared to be late to the party.
    2) It only costs them a few dollars, they would still make a huge profit with a $29 price point
    3) Apple copies a lot, but that doesn't matter. Are there any other smartphone developers that offer native game pad support?
    4) Yes, but if developers would add support for this game pad, your fingers wouldn't black the screen and you would have real physical controls
    5) Your opinion.

They already have dedicated developers, again... there are great titels in the App Store like FIFA 12, but also great, simple games like Angry Birds.

If Apple would ship a 'game pad' that you could put your iPhone or iPod touch in, than developers would surely add support. *Adding support doesn't mean removing the touch controls. I seriously believe it would be great if you could, for example, play FIFA with two analogue sticks and a few buttons (same lay-out as the PSVita).[/i]

Microsoft isn't a pioneer in gaming. They saw how well the PlayStation did, but miserably failed with the launch of the Xbox (around the same time as the PlayStation 2). The only reason they are currently huge in gaming is because of the Xbox 360, and that's because they were early in the game: they were using all the production lines (so Sony could use less) and Sony was one year late. Xbox is dominant in the US, PlayStation is dominant in Japan and in Europe, Africa and the Middle-East it's really close (a slight advantage for PS3). I'm not looking at the Nintendo Wii here, because the Wii is not comparable to the Xbox and PlayStation at all.

The fact that Microsoft is unable to have a much bigger piece of marketshare than Sony (they only have a really small advantage in worldwide sales), proves they aren't pioneers in gaming. Microsoft had a one-year advantage in the US and a two-year advantage in Europe, but the current market share is like 49-51% in advantage for Microsoft (not counting the Wii). Sony has more and better exclusives (and a wider variety). I bet that if there wasn't a RROD, Sony would have had the most marketshare by now.

But I'm getting off-topic. Sorry. :)

11. Artimus12 macrumors 6502a

Artimus12

I voted 'Other'

if Apple get too heavily involved in the gaming market, customers that game would call for progressively bigger screens on their devices - witness the current crop of juveniles calling for 4.3 inch displays already.

IF they do decide to get involved in the gaming industry, I think they should make a separate product for gamers and leave the iPhone with its smaller format ...not every iPhone owner wants to spend their lives gaming, neither would they be happy to carry such a brick in their pocket and be seen using said brick as a business phone.

perish the thought.

12. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I just want an iOS version of Mario Kart, then I'll be set.

13. kaizenmx macrumors regular

Ha. This is the typical company's mistake. It's not the hardware that sells. It's the games. If Apple wishes to move into gaming industry, then they better start hiring really good third party developers. There is no way Apple is gonna get 1st party games like Mario/Zelda/Donkey Kong that are owned by Nintendo to apple's gaming platform.

All in all, it's a mistake. The gaming industry is primarily owned by the Big Three.
    Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft.

14. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I want an iOS version of Legend of Zelda....all of them.

While some of the apps in the store would probably work better with an accessory like that, for most games I don't think it would be beneficial. I don't see Apple making or promoting anything like that.

15. kaizenmx macrumors regular

Nintendo will never allow their 1st party games to be used by other companies. Especially, when mobile gaming is threat to their handheld business, Nintendo will never let that happen.

16. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Yeah, I've thought about that as well, but you got Microsoft making iOS apps. We have game makers (EA for example) making iOS versions of their games. I don't think it would be a bad idea for Nintendo to make iOS versions of some of their popular games for the people like me would will never buy a DS. Others are Namco, they released pac-man, dig dug and others. Hudson released Bomberman versions. I have bought all the onces I have mentioned...I am sure there are more.

Making a version of your games for another platform seems like a better idea than making a cereal.

[​IMG]

17. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Apple is already massive in handheld gaming, just not the sort of hardcore games most 'handheld gamers' would appreciate.

[​IMG]

Current strategy working fine.

18. kaizenmx macrumors regular

Unless a company wants to be successful in gaming industry, you will have to find a way to satisfy both casual and hardcore gamers.

19. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

zelda would be nice too, and i think apple already is in the market, but i do think that psp is a far better mobile gaming device than most of apples as it was designed for that purpose.

20. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

21. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I realize this. More or less just wishful thinking. Would be cool though.

22. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Exactly. I thought they already did mobile gaming, isn't that what I used my iPod Touch and now my iPhone half the time to do?

23. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

This is not what I am suggesting. I am suggesting that Apple is going to make an official accessory, a sort of game pad, which you connect via the dock connector. Developers can make use of this (as an optional functionality next to touch controls) and than those who want to game, can just connect the 'game pad' (which consists of physical buttons and the analogue sticks).

24. Thnkdifferent macrumors member

Thnkdifferent

iPod Touch/iPhone seems pretty hand held gaming like. Just with more functionality.

25. Thnkdifferent macrumors member

Thnkdifferent

Didn't work out too well....

Attached Files: