Apple should release iPhone's during the summer again

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jp700p, Jul 11, 2013.

1. jp700p macrumors regular

The first few generations of the iPhone were released in the summer time. I understand why they might have done it was for the "holiday" season but they should consider spreading out the product releases.

The benefits of releasing during the summer are:

- Product releases are spread out. Currently, Apple is releasing the iPad, iPhone and iPods all in the fall time. Then the rest of first half of the following year is boring until the fall time again. By spreading out the releases, it will appear Apple is more "fresh" with products throughout the whole year.

- Who doesn't like new gadgets in the summer time?

- If you couldn't pre-order online and your only option is standing in-line, its much better to stand in-line during the summer then the middle of a cold autumn day.

2. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I run retail businesses in UK and USA

There is a massive drop in peoples spending habits over the summer months.

Peoples disposable income shifts to holiday and leisure time over the summer months as holidays are taken, kids off school and the good weather is out.

The monthly sales graphs are a clear indicator.

It's nice to stimulate sales during summer months by discounting.

This is why it's a good time to discount old hardware before launching autumn / fall time. People start spending when the nights draw in and they *may* want to feel better about themselves by buying things that make them happy.

People get perceived bargains over the summer when disposable income is a bit lower, the summer sales dip doesnt look as bad then they launch all new stuff at full price over the darker winter months when trade is strong.

I would like to buy the new iphone right now but the general population is off spending money elsewhere.

Come autumn i will be buying an iphone, ipad and imac if they release Haswell iMacs that is.

3. 617aircav Suspended

I'm sure apple know what's best for their sales.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

-Why not early spring? The release would be spread out

- Why is summer better for new gadgets?

- The spring is nice to be outside.

You do have some amazing ideas that make perfect business sense, have you applied for a position at Apple?

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I see why Apple do it in the Autumn, but I agree, it'd be much better in Summer.

I can't really pinpoint why, it just seems... better!

Maybe it's because then we generally have a few weeks off school/work to play around with them. In the Autumn it kind of gets in the way.

6. grizzy macrumors member

^^^^^ Doesn't live in Florida ^^^^^

7. takeshi74, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Do people not like new gadgets the rest of the year as well?

Consider that everyone doesn't live where you live. Summer is brutal here. Even autumn tends to be hot.

That's crazy talk. I mean, clearly an armchair analyst's self-centric reasons make more sense than relying on any actual business reasons. :p