Apple should rerelease SL every time they release a new OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Apple should make it standard policy to rerelease SL updated to meet the latest performance enhancements and security flaws, every time they release a new OS.

Its just ridiculous how bloated OS X has become. I don't even use 99% of the new features they put in OS X since Lion and they have just made it uglier and bloated.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Apple should make it standard policy to rerelease SL updated to meet the latest performance enhancements and security flaws, every time they release a new OS.

Its just ridiculous how bloated OS X has become. I don't even use 99% of the new features they put in OS X since Lion and they have just made it uglier and bloated.
Sorry, not happening. Ever.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Well they have put a notification center icon in the top right corner. I don't use the notification center so its just clutter on my menubar. I get unasked popup notifications too. They add tons of apps that I don't use. I don't use fullscreen so its just another wasted icon.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
don't forget about forward compatibility so you can still use the latest versions of applications on there.. so that should be part of their standard policy too

----------

I don't use fullscreen so its just another wasted icon.
you should be hyped then.. they removed that icon in 10.10

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I have to laugh every time someone praises Snow Leopard. When it came out people loathed it. Now those same people are hailing it as the only acceptable version of OS X.

SanJacinto

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
Milky Way Galaxy
I have to laugh every time someone praises Snow Leopard. When it came out people loathed it. Now those same people are hailing it as the only acceptable version of OS X.
Indeed, when it came out. But in the end, after 8 wonderful refinements it was and is rock solid.
No beach balls at all.

Mavericks runs great and even Lion 10.7.5 was well functioning on my MBP 2011.

But I always loved to show my Windows friends how fast my machines (incl. Powerbooks) are and when your machine is well (I mean without a single beach ball) performing on a HDD and your friends have a SSD Windows system but they are still impressed, this gives you a good feeling.

This is the way I do marketing for Apple ;)

But nonetheless I like Mavericks and it runs fast enough - a handful of beach balls per day is still impressive.

dmccloud

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Well they have put a notification center icon in the top right corner. I don't use the notification center so its just clutter on my menubar. I get unasked popup notifications too. They add tons of apps that I don't use. I don't use fullscreen so its just another wasted icon.
So this is nothing but your opinion, nothing that could be considered "fact"...

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
SL is dead, Apple stopped supporting it, all I can say is move on and enjoy the newer versions of OSX

OrangeCrush980

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2013
SL is dead, Apple stopped supporting it, all I can say is move on and enjoy the newer versions of OSX
People like you that forgot all about Rosetta don't realize how important Snow Leopard still is and how bad the new OSes are. I also like that you said "OSX"; to me, the name change was much more than just name change:

Mac OS X - The once great line of OSes that ended with Snow Leopard
OS X - An OS that greatly prioritizes iOS integration and getting people to buy new hardware over everything else

Last edited by a moderator:

bennibeef

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2013
People like you that forgot all about Rosetta don't realize how important Snow Leopard still is and how bad the new OSes are. I also like that you said "OSX"; to me, the name change was much more than just name change:

OS X - An OS that greatly prioritizes iOS integration and getting people to buy new hardware over everything else
Just out of curiosity - what legacy software do you have to support you still need Rosetta?

Last edited by a moderator:

computergek80

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2008
I don't think you've seen the system requirements. My aluminium MacBook from 2008 that shipped with Leopard runs Mavericks without a problem. And it looks like OS X Yosemite will be supported as well. This thing is six years old! My OS support will likely outlast the machine itself.

No, not everything about 10.10 will be for me, I don't have an iPhone, but as long as they don't remove important features in the programs I do use, and add features I will use, I'm happy.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
If you don't use notifications, go into the system pref and turn them all off. No one is forcing you to use apps you don't use. You can organize and slim your Mac as you see fit. And if you don't want the pesky notification icon, get Bartender, which I use to move all my rarely used menu bar items into a sub menu bar. Works great. Now I only have what I want and need up there, but everything else can be ordered and accessed still.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Sorry but the Rosetta argument can no longer fly. Snow Leopard came out 5 yrs ago. If the dev can't be bothered to update his/her software then I'm not sure I'd even want to continue patronising their product.

If you really want to run PPC apps, buy a PowerMac G5 for $50, max it out and install Tiger and you're set for life.

The world cannot stand still just because a few laggards refuse to get with the program. It's that kind of thinking that has led to Microsoft being the dinosaur they are now.

Snow Leopard was an absolute pile of dung when it came out and there are still some bugs within it. I remember people saying Apple should've kept Tiger around, hailing it as the best OS, when Leopard and Snowy came out.

At some point you have to move on. Or don't...it's up to you. But I for one I'm glad for Mountain Lion, Mavericks and now Yose.

Last edited:

dmccloud

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK

Snow Leopard is only important to the .01% of Mac users who refuse to move to current-generation equipment. And your claim that all subsqquent OSes are "bad" is just your opinion, one that is NOT supported with the facts (gains in market share for the Mac platform, customer satisfaction ratings above 95%, leading the industry in that regard), and the reviews of the subsequent versions of the OS. Perhaps the problem isn't OS X, but you...

2crazy

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2012
Saint Louis
And Apple didn't bother to consult you first before making these changes? :eek:

dmccloud

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK

This is the list of supported machines:

- iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
- MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
- MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
- Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
- MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
- Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
- Xserve (Early 2009)

How exactly does that constitute "getting people to buy new hardware,", when machines 7 years old can run Yosemite? THe facts once again don't support your claims.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Notification Center at the top right is great!
Don't have to have a separate user account to make a client presentation.
Just enable "Do Not Disturb" and everything is take care of!!!

Full screen? Great for emulation of an entire OS when I need windows. Like having 2 laptop in 1.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
This is just as bad as the people that insist staying with Windows XP because "7 is bloated." Maybe you shouldn't be trying to run it on hardware that is half a decade old. It runs like butter on my 2011 MBP.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Notification Center at the top right is great!
Don't have to have a separate user account to make a client presentation.
Just enable "Do Not Disturb" and everything is take care of!!!

Full screen? Great for emulation of an entire OS when I need windows. Like having 2 laptop in 1.
Emulation is not the same thing as virtualization. If you are wanting to run Windows or *nix on your Mac then you are using virtualization and not emulation.

mmomega

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX

Bloated usually means bigger. Which Yosemite is not. Different, yes.

New features have out because Snow Leopard was released in 2009, the iPhone was not as popular as it is now. People enjoy a lot of features on the iPhone and would like to use them on their Macs.
I am in this group.

The best thing you can do now is remove any apps from the dock you don't use, uninstall whatever and either move on or stay stuck where you are.

Attachments

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand

No. The new OS's are great, your opinion does not represent everyone.

----------

This is just as bad as the people that insist staying with Windows XP because "7 is bloated." Maybe you shouldn't be trying to run it on hardware that is half a decade old. It runs like butter on my 2011 MBP.
But you have an SSD. My 2011 MBP doesn't like Mavericks to much in terms of animations.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Emulation is not the same thing as virtualization. If you are wanting to run Windows or *nix on your Mac then you are using virtualization and not emulation.
Not for nothing, but you can run Linux natively on your Mac; For that matter, Solaris and FreeBSD as well. You don't need any virtualization software for those, as they are all x86 based.

BL.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Not for nothing, but you can run Linux natively on your Mac; For that matter, Solaris and FreeBSD as well. You don't need any virtualization software for those, as they are all x86 based.
You are correct in that you can run alternative operating systems natively but the user I responded to was not talking about doing it natively because he mentioned full screen mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.