Apple should to make a simple/pared down companion band for when one wears a classic watch.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by tresmith, Nov 29, 2018.

1. tresmith macrumors 6502

For those of us with classic watches and still like to wear them, I would like to see Apple make a simple companion band that offers many of the features the watch has but without the screen and such...much like the fitbit flex. Reason being is that first, I see the Apple watch as an everyday watch and there are times I dress up and wearing a classic watch makes more sense. However, I would miss the fitness/health features the Apple watch offers. Wearing a classic watch and an Apple Watch would look super tacky so that's why it would be nice if Apple made a simple companion band that can be worn on the opposite wrist so you can still have some of the features when you wear a watch other than your Apple watch.

Question: Would you wear both a classic watch (Rolex, Tag, etc.) and an Apple Watch?

2. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

Why would you need fitness/health features of a companion band if you are dressing up for a more classy event? Are you planning on working out at said classy event?

3. tresmith thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple watch offers more than fitness. What about fall detection? What about if your heart starts beating irregularly?

To your point I don't plan on working out at a black tie affair however I still want to monitor my health, my heart etc. Pretty soon you'll be able to monitor your blood sugar levels, blood pressure etc. If you are older or getting up there in age with all these features you're going to want to wear a "health monitor" all the time. And having that companion band will allow you to do that during those times you don't want to wear your Apple Watch.

4. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

Goodluck. Apple isn’t going to release a companion band.

5. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

anthonymoody

I could *maybe* see it as an optional add-on piece, sort of like the pencil for the iPad Pro. But, I'd put it at 5% or less chance of happening.

6. Cowboy1629 macrumors 6502

Cowboy1629

Probably not a bad idea might even be an option for people that don’t want the bulk of a watch or prefer simplicity. Have all the sensors that the watch has and feed the information to your health app.

7. tresmith, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018

tresmith thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly...an optional add on product with all the sensors in a simple, less bulky design between $100 and $200 bucks.

It would give people the option to wear and or not wear the full watch and at the same time continue to monitor their health and maintain continuity in health data/information.

And here's another thing...since most of us probably charge our watches during the night while we sleep, one could wear the companion band at night while the watch charges. The band would continue to monitor your health and sleep. And the data collected by the band and watch would all merge/sync in the Health App.

8. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

What you are asking for is a battery, multiple sensors, and processors in a flexible band.

That sounds like a more difficult challenge than fitting those into a rigid case the size of a watch.

9. tresmith thread starter macrumors 6502

It may not be easy but I see that Fitbit does a pretty good job putting features in their bands.

10. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

This is a great idea. I wore a Jawbone UP24 for sleep tracking when I got my first AW in 2015. Regardless of battery issues, I don't particularly want to wear a watch while sleeping.

11. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Are you a man? If so, you could wear the AW with the TwelveSouth Action band. You'd wear it further up your arm, presumably under your shirt. So you could maintain all of the tracking and sensor features without it being visible.

For women, it would be a little more difficult if you/they are wearing a dress without longer sleeves.

12. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

I don't think Apple would release the equivalent of an iPod Shuffle until the market for Apple Watch has matured.

13. SteveOfTheStow macrumors member

SteveOfTheStow

Apple would disagree that there would ever be a reason to wear another watch if you have an Apple Watch. To them, it's a workout watch and a dress up watch all in one, especially with the changeable bands.

That is why you will never see this product. Not doubting your reason for wanting one, but just laying out the cold hard reality. It's Apple's way or the highway.

14. tresmith thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple time and time again has created derivatives of the original product. We went from one type of iPod to a number of different iPods. Went from one iPhone to a variety. Went from one iPad...you get the idea.

Like the previous post said, if Apple releases another type "Apple Watch" they'll release it when the market for the original watch reach saturation/maturity.

15. OLDGUYWITHAHIFI Suspended

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

This is silly. You are pretty much asking if people can go without their Apple Watch for an evening while dressing up or attending an event. If you can't live without fall detection for an evening, I think you should pretty much stay home and monitor your heart rate and ECG. I had no idea people were so obsessed.

16. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

Apple is not going to make what amounts to an accessory for another watch maker. They want you to use their watch all the time.

17. MacintoshDan macrumors 6502

Get a stainless model. I personally wear my Sport Space Grey watch with the leather loop band more to dressed up occasions then my nice watches. I have considered getting a second stainless model but don't have the cash.

18. richard371 macrumors 68020

I’ve really gotten used to all the features of the aw4. It’s realy hard when I leave it at home and wear my Daytona which is a far nicer watch but that’s all it does is tell time. I wish I could wear both at the same time but it looks ridiculous. Unfortuanlty as the aw continues to evolve it will by like leaving your phone at home not wearing it. Soon I think high end mechanicals will go the way of pocket watches. Probably at first Apple was targeting the watch towards the younger generation that don’t often wear high end mechanicals. Now with the health monitoring features they are targeting a broader crowd and a crowd that tends to wear higher end mechanicals. I’d hate for someone close to me such as my parents miss out on a heart issue etc because they wore a Rolex vs an AW.