Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ammar666

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2015
I'm quite pissed at this decision. If you own a 38mm or 40mm watch, what are your choices of a leather band from Apple? Pay $400 for Hermes? The modern buckle, I'm sorry, but is quite feminine looking and I never liked its design to begin with, plus it always came in dull and boring colors. The leather loop for some inexplicable reason has always been 42mm or 44mm.

I already own the sapphire classic buckle, and outside of the milanese loop, it's my favourite band. It looks, well, extremely classy as the name suggests.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
I agree. But I‘m also pretty sure the Classic Buckle will return at some point. I just hope it brings the Woven Nylons along ...

Reactions: strategicthinke

xanderville

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
I thought I heard somewhere that the Classic Buckles were removed because they did not like how the lugs fit in the Series 4 watches. I dont know exactly how true that is but it does not explain why the woven nylons were removed also. These were my 2 favorite band styles and it was disappointing to see them removed. I am guessing that this year the Pride band will be a Sport Loop like the Close the Rings Band

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
I thought I heard somewhere that the Classic Buckles were removed because they did not like how the lugs fit in the Series 4 watches. I dont know exactly how true that is but it does not explain why the woven nylons were removed also. These were my 2 favorite band styles and it was disappointing to see them removed. I am guessing that this year the Pride band will be a Sport Loop like the Close the Rings Band

The Classic Buckles fit just fine on the S4, but not as perfect as on S1-3. BUT – the curent Hermes bands for the S4 have new lugs that do fit the S4 perfectly; and the Hermes bands are nothing but Classic Buckle bands with different leather. So new, S4-optimized lugs already exist and Apple can easily use them to bring back the Classic Buckle (and probably will). Woven Nylons almost the same story: the current Nylon Sport Loops also have different, S4-optimized (plastic) lugs vs the older Sport Loops; Apple could easily do the same for the Woven Nylons. Here I'm not so sure that it'll actually happen, though.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
I'm with you here... Two of my favourite bands are my black and saddle brown classic buckles ... Just very clean and stylish and goes very well with a suit and the more formal dressing - love them... Kind of strange their go-to-leather is gone

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
Totally agree. I wish I could get a classic buckle for more dressier situations - I find myself just using a black sport band. I really am not a fan of the leather loop ones.

I just want a Storm Grey classic buckle..

Ammar666

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2015
I use the 38mm one with my 40mm watch and I honestly cannot tell the difference. It looks identical as it did on my old 38mm S2.

strategicthinke

Suspended
Feb 6, 2014
Rio de Janeiro
You understand my pain... The leather classic buckle and nylon bands were my favourites. I hope they bring it back (I wouldn’t hold my breath, though. I don’t believe the story about the connectors, after all the Hermès is still being sold with the right connectors, right?)

Reactions: the future

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
I use the 38mm one with my 40mm watch and I honestly cannot tell the difference. It looks identical as it did on my old 38mm S2.

You can feel with a fingernail that the middle of the lug is a little deeper inside than on S1-3 where it is perfectly flush with the case. But I agree, visually it is basically imperceptible. On the other hand, if you have bands made for the S4, for example a sport loop, the middle of the lug will stick out a little on a S1-3 Watch, which is much more obvious/ugly.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I bought the 42mm Ruby Leather Classic Buckle (Product) RED and the 42mm Black Leather Classic Buckle and the leather band sits very close to the watch case itself on my Space Black Stainless Steel Series 4. I did swap the 42mm silver lugs out for 44mm black ones and now they sit "properly" away from the case now as well as matching the case.

steve217

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2011
NC
The Classic Buckles fit just fine on the S4, but not as perfect as on S1-3.

I never would have noticed if I had not read this post.

I just bought an S4 and put a 3g Classic Buckle on it and now that you mention it, the lug does protrude about a zillionth of an inch out of the slot.
screen-shot-2019-04-27-at-4-13-37-pm-png.834158

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
I never would have noticed if I had not read this post.

I just bought an S4 and put a 3g Classic Buckle on it and now that you mention it, the lug does protrude about a zillionth of an inch out of the slot.
screen-shot-2019-04-27-at-4-13-37-pm-png.834158

Yeah, it‘s basically a non-issue. I wear my Classic Buckles with my S4 all the time.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Love my classic buckles ... have the black, storm grey and marine blue in Gen 3, and the saddle brown in Gen 4. All were either eBay or CeX purchases and all genuine and new. Think the most I paid was £50.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.