Apple Signs Multi-Year Deal With Director Alfonso Cuarón

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Film director Alfonso Cuarón has signed a multi-year deal to develop television projects for the Apple TV+ streaming service, reports Variety.

Cuarón is primarily known for his work on films, and has not done much television, so his partnership with Apple will mark his first major foray into TV. He did previously co-create 2014 NBC drama "Believe," and he directed Mexican anthology series "La Hora Marcada," but other than that he has focused on movies.

Image via The Telegraph

Cuarón directed award-winning films that include "Y Tu Mamá También," "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban," "Children of Men," "Gravity," and "Roma."

According to Variety, Cuarón will maintain an existing deal with Anonymous Content and will also continue to work with other collaborations in addition to his work for Apple.

Apple has signed similar overall multi-show deals with Oprah Winfrey, Justin Lin, and Jason Katims.

Any TV shows created by Cuarón under his partnership with Apple will be added to Apple TV+, Apple's upcoming streaming service that's set to launch on November 1.

Article Link: Apple Signs Multi-Year Deal With Director Alfonso Cuarón

Last edited:

M.PaulCezanne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2014
Great director. Five fantastic movies listed above too. POA by far the best HP movie, but honestly couldn't get the darn LG OLED settings right for Roma. Couldn't enjoy the movie because the stupid contrast wasn't right. I'll blame it on Netflix.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
He's the director of "Y Tu Mama Tambien." No complaints here. I want to see what he'll do.
- - Post merged: - -

Children of Men still has one of the best no-cut sequences ever in film. Extraordinary.
Yes! I think this is a worthy way for Apple to gather some extraordinary content: set up "chairs" for great artists. Let them work like auteurs. Apple has the money, and they're penny-pinchers, too. It won't be the Netflix of the industry. It will be the place you subscribe to and get some great movies you won't find elsewhere.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
I’ve never even heard of him... I’m sure he’s good if Apple hired him...🤔
You may have seen some of the movies. Funny, I went to see and loved everything so far, without even connecting the name to the films at first. His technical mastery is stunning, and he uses it to tell good stories.

wigby

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2007
Even if you hate all of Cuaron’s work, this move completely aligns with Apple’s reported move to win lots of acclaim and awards for original programming. This is a big score for them that even outshines that exclusive they lost with JJ Abrams.

Last edited by a moderator:

CalMin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
I'm not sure how happy I am about these exclusive deals. Guaranteed income for creatives does not necessarily push them to do their finest work, although I do concede that the flipside of this argument is equally reasonable.

With that said, this is quite a score for Apple. Roma is one of the few films made in the last decade that can truly be considered a classic and the rest of his filmography is equally impressive.

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I'm not sure how happy I am about these exclusive deals.
Well, good news for you! The article doesn’t say anything about “exclusive“ so it will all be ok.

I think this is the best news yet about TV+ because Cuarón is a very talented filmmaker. I am curious about the article’s comment regarding “television“ because as much as Apple has chosen to call their product TV, what is TV anymore? It’s not like even 10 years ago where there was a fairly clear distinction between theatrical and television content. I teach a motion picture editing course at a local college and am frequently correcting myself and telling the students that the distinction is less and less relevant with each passing year. Ask yourself this, was Game of Thrones a “television series?” Or a film franchise?

Why can’t Cuarón make films for TV+?

RowellE

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
This is a good get! He’s a great director. His Harry Potter film was the best directed of the whole series.

Now they just need to secure Guillermo del Toro.

Cosmosent

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
I personally think Apple is a messed-up company !

They clearly have Hollywood Envy !

And that's caused a Major Loss of Focus !

ONLY two areas of the App Store have done well under Cook, Game Apps (~85% of Revenue), & Streaming Media Content "sub" Apps (~10% of Revenue).

IMO, Apple should DE-emphasize their continued Hollywood Envy, & RE-prioritize their efforts on the App Store, & in particular, the other ~5% of apps !

With better App Discovery, that other ~5% could generate SIGNIFICANTLY more Revenue than anything Apple could (possibly) achieve via their Apple TV+ service.

There are LOTs of good NON-Game & NON-Streaming Media Content "sub" Apps that never get their Day in the Sun !

Apple needs a 2nd App Store for such apps, & one NOT controlled by Phil Schiller !

BTW, I believe the Apple TV+ service will never be more than a FREEBIE, to entice hardware purchases !

And, there is really nothing wrong with that.

Part of the Marketing Budge for iPhones, iPads, Macs, etc.

DotCom2

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2009
I personally think Apple is a messed-up company !

They clearly have Hollywood Envy !

And that's caused a Major Loss of Focus !

ONLY two areas of the App Store have done well under Cook, Game Apps (~85% of Revenue), & Streaming Media Content "sub" Apps (~10% of Revenue).

IMO, Apple should DE-emphasize their continued Hollywood Envy, & RE-prioritize their efforts on the App Store, & in particular, the other ~5% of apps !

With better App Discovery, that other ~5% could generate SIGNIFICANTLY more Revenue than anything Apple could (possibly) achieve via their Apple TV+ service.

There are LOTs of good NON-Game & NON-Streaming Media Content "sub" Apps that never get their Day in the Sun !

Apple needs a 2nd App Store for such apps, & one NOT controlled by Phil Schiller !

BTW, I believe the Apple TV+ service will never be more than a FREEBIE, to entice hardware purchases !

And, there is really nothing wrong with that.

Part of the Marketing Budge for iPhones, iPads, Macs, etc.
Wall Street would disagree with you.

Reactions: danny842003