Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AlwaysOnline Wireless, one of the data providers for the Apple SIM built into newer iPads, today announced new, more affordable pricing for its LTE data plans in the United Kingdom, which can be used by both domestic UK residents and travelers who visit the UK.

The company offers a range of short-term data plans for iPads equipped with an Apple SIM, providing plans by the day, hour, or megabyte. AlwaysOnline Wireless offers connectivity in 74 countries, but today's price drop is limited to the UK. Pricing in other countries varies.

alwaysonline-wireless-apple-sim.jpg

An hour of connectivity with 100MB of data is now priced at $0.11 in the United Kingdom, a significant price drop from the original cost of $0.49. A daily plan, with 500MB, now costs $2.99 (down from $5.99), and 1GB, 3GB, and 5GB plans with a 30 day limit are available for $5.99, $9.49, and $14.99, respectively. Previous pricing was at $10.99, $18.99, and $29.99.

alwaysonlinewirelesspricechart-800x197.jpg
"More travellers are increasingly turning to iPad as their preferred device while travelling or on-the-go," says Emir Aboulhosn, CEO and Founder of AOW parent company, Otono Networks. "Now iPad users around the world can benefit from the most aggressive cellular data pricing in the UK and stay connected for less than the price of a cup of tea."
The Apple SIM, introduced in 2014, works with cellular models of the iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 4, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, and 9.7-inch iPad Pro. It is designed to support wireless service across multiple carriers, making it easy for customers to switch cellular providers, something that's especially useful for travelers.

Apple SIM is supported by AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile in the United States, along with EE in the UK, au and SoftBank in Japan, Deutsche Telekom in Germany, and Three in Hong Kong. GigSky and AlwaysOnline Wireless, two companies that offer coverage around the world, also support Apple SIM.

Apple SIM connectivity is available in more than 140 countries, primarily through Apple's partnerships with GigSky and AlwaysOnline Wireless.

Article Link: Apple SIM Partner AlwaysOnline Wireless Drops Data Prices for UK Users

Evan Davis

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2016
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Still a frightful USD 89.99 for 3Gb when registering in Spain!
[doublepost=1487792893][/doublepost]Also they don't seem to do roaming.

"Plans are for use only within the country where the plan is purchased" is what appears when you select "View All Plans"

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Still a frightful USD 89.99 for 3Gb when registering in Spain!
[doublepost=1487792893][/doublepost]Also they don't seem to do roaming.

"Plans are for use only within the country where the plan is purchased" is what appears when you select "View All Plans"

GigSky is "only" $50:eek:
Must be a lot of morons on this planet using either of them, you can easily get a local sim and be far less cheaper off.
For instance' it's $50 for 1 GB in Indonesia, I know I can get 3 GB for about a tenth of that price!

vpndev

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2009
I'm still waiting for easy plans for iPhones. The short-term plans I've been able to find for the UK are less than impressive.

bill44

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2016
Are they all expire after 30 days?
I'm looking for a one off payment and if I don't use any data it this month, It should be available the next or the next after. Same as PAYG for calls but for data only.
Who provides such a plan?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Are they all expire after 30 days?
I'm looking for a one off payment and if I don't use any data it this month, It should be available the next or the next after. Same as PAYG for calls but for data only.
Who provides such a plan?

No one supports a data plan longer than 30 days.
[doublepost=1487796976][/doublepost]
My iPad was purchased through a Verizon store so it probably needs to have an aftermarket Apple SIM for traveling. How much for that?

Can't you unlock it? (After a year for instance)

c.leonard66h

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2015
No one supports a data plan longer than 30 days.
[doublepost=1487796976][/doublepost]

Can't you unlock it? (After a year for instance)

I had mine unlocked after 3 months of having it. 9.7 iPad Pro with cellular. Works fine with Apples built in sim.

Evan Davis

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2016
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I think I'll stick to my Truphone plan (except when I'm in Switzerland next month). Conveniently I'm in Spain, so I already have the SIM activated.

Even more convienient is once activated, the SIM also works in an iPhone 6 on the same plan chosen on the iPad (changes still need to be made with the sim in the iPad of course)

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
I don't get the daily price.

Unless I'm mathing this wrong; 24 hours @ 11¢ would be $2.64 & you'd get a 2.4gb allowance.

Or pay $2.99 for only 500mb?
What am I missing here?

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I don't get the daily price.

Unless I'm mathing this wrong; 24 hours @ 11¢ would be $2.64 & you'd get a 2.4gb allowance.

Or pay $2.99 for only 500mb?
What am I missing here?

I see what you mean. I wonder if the hourly rate "carries forward" though - if you're limited to 100 an hour but only use 5mb for 23 of those 24 hours, you probably can't splurge in the last hour of everything you have left.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
It is designed to support wireless service across multiple carriers, making it easy for customers to switch cellular providers, something that's especially useful for travelers.​

Apple SIM is supported by AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile in the United States, along with EE in the UK, au and SoftBank in Japan, Deutsche Telekom in Germany, and Three in Hong Kong. GigSky and AlwaysOnline Wireless, two companies that offer coverage around the world, also support Apple SIM.

Advice to people who travel: Don't activate your Apple Sim on AT&T. — They lock the SIM card to their network, won't unlock it because their system "isn't capable of releasing a SIM card" or so dumb reason they give, and you end up having to buy a new Apple Sim if you ever plan to leave the United States.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I read this through twice but I really don't know what any of it means. Though those prices look pretty steep considering what I pay for my service here.

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
I read this through twice but I really don't know what any of it means. Though those prices look pretty steep considering what I pay for my service here.
You obviously don't travel internationally.

This allows for a traveler with an iPad to get cellular data service since many data plans do not offer international roaming.

You can't compare your normal domestic tablet cellular data plan with one of these temporary visitor plans.

Case in point: I get 200 MB of free cellular data from T-Mobile USA every thirty days. They don't offer any international roaming so when I am traveling abroad, I go to a local cellular store and get a SIM for local service if I want cellular data on my iPad.

The beauty of the Apple SIM is that I can get a short-term cellular data plan for a reasonable amount without having to go to a bricks-and-mortar store.

I do have options. I could use a Tru SIM and just pay what they charge for cellular data, but in most cases it is not cost effective. For example, for many European countries I have to pay about 9 cents per megabyte. That adds up quickly. It might be useful to get critical data in a foreign city before you can find your way to a local cellular store that is open, but it's not a real cellular data offering.

The Apple SIM in an iPad is often an offering worth considering.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
My iPad was purchased through a Verizon store so it probably needs to have an aftermarket Apple SIM for traveling. How much for that?

IIRC they are $10. But I was in London in 2015 and tried to use the AppleSIM with ee and was unable to purchase data b/c I didn't have a UK issued Visa card. Have not traveled to a country w/ AppleSIM partner since then so don't know if they have fixed that major flaw or not.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
You obviously don't travel internationally.

?
I live in England and travel around Europe frequently for work, Three is my mobile network. But I still don't get it. Do you maybe mean to include the US specifically when you say internationally?

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
First of all, I didn't know where you lived until you mentioned it just now; your location is a nebulous "Fighting to stay in the EU" [sic].

Regardless of your non-American residency, put yourself in the perspective of an American tech writer mostly writing for an American audience.

You have been on this website for some time. You should know by now how the writers here address their readership.
[doublepost=1487868898][/doublepost]
If Apple crreated their own worldwide MVNO we wouldn't have all these problems.
As an MVNO, Apple would still have to negotiate contracts with local network operators, just as other MVNOs do. Becoming an MVNO does not mean that you can create whatever pricing you want.

Besides, Apple doesn't want to become a network operator. Apple thinks of ISPs and cellular companies as dumb pipes. Moreover, the profit margins of these service companies wouldn't fit into Apple's finances.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.