Apple Sneaks by Android in Fourth Quarter U.S. Smartphone Sales

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Reuters reports on new data from research firm Kantar Worldpanel ComTech showing that Apple slipped past Android by the narrowest of margins in fourth quarter U.S. smartphone sales, with Apple's iPhone taking 44.9% of the market and Android taking 44.8%.
"Apple has continued its strong sales run in the U.S., UK and Australia over the Christmas period," Dominic Sunnebo, global consumer insight director at the research firm said.

"Overall, Apple sales are now growing at a faster rate than Android across the nine countries we cover," Sunnebo added.
The results, driven by Apple's blockbuster quarter in the wake of the iPhone 4S launch, saw Apple double its U.S. sales share year-over-year while Android slipped from its 50% share a year ago. Apple yesterday reported sales of 37 million iPhones during the quarter, far exceeding expectations.

Kantar's report also focuses on Windows Phone, which continues to struggle despite the high-profile launch of Nokia's Lumia smartphones. Windows Phone's market share remains at less than 2% in all nine markets followed by Kantar.

Article Link: Apple Sneaks by Android in Fourth Quarter U.S. Smartphone Sales

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
Nice, but it probably won't last too long. The number of Android phones out there makes it hard for Apple's products to compete for sheer market share, given how little many people care about which phone they get.

LTD, you wanna overhype this and go on a quick rant/celebratory speech?

[I understand that all the people on here care about which phone they have, but in the real world, not many people do. They just care about smartphones, and while I try to steer them towards the iPhone because I think it's the best out there, many will simply go for the cheapest.]

Last edited:

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
What's funny is now Android doesn't even have marketshare to boast about in this quarter LOL...what's...left?

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
Activashunz ftw! :D
LOL true, forgot about that

Apple is a sinking ship, everyone sell your stocks while you can!

----------

Nice, but it probably won't last too long. The number of Android phones out there makes it hard for Apple's products to compete for sheer market share, given how little many people care about which phone they get.

Funny...but they seem to have competed quite well.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin

I think more and more people are actually giving a damn about which phone they get.

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
While the lead is unlikely to last for the next 3 quarters (although you never know…), this is a massive achievement IMO. I did not think Apple would ever come close to evening marketshare in any quarter with Android smartphones.

jaison13

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2003
pittsburgh
wow, that's pretty amazing considering we are talking 3 models vs. about 1000 different android handsets. they are raking in some major $$ because their profit margin is much higher.

linux2mac

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
"City of Lakes", MN
Well what do we have here? People realizing that they don't want a phone that is the "King Of Malware!" :D

Corporations love iOS more than BlackBerry OS; Android seen as a security risk
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Corporations-love-iOS-more-than-BlackBerry-OS-Android-seen-as-a-security-risk_id26042

Report: Android Is The King Of Malware!
http://www.thetelecomblog.com/2011/08/25/report-android-is-the-king-of-malware/

Is Android becoming the Windows of mobile malware?
http://www.digitaltrends.com/android/is-android-a-dream-platform-for-malware/

Taz Mangus

macrumors 68040
Mar 10, 2011
Okay, I seem to remember the pundits saying something about how the iPhone 4S was going to be a sales flop because it does not have a 4" screen, does not have 1GB RAM, has only a 800MHz processor, does not support 4G LTE, does not have NFC, looks the same as a iPhone 4, etc., etc. etc.

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
Okay, I seem to remember the pundits saying something about how the iPhone 4S was going to be a sales flop because it does not have a 4" screen, does not have 1GB RAM, has only a 800MHz processor, does not support 4G LTE, does not have NFC, looks the same as a iPhone 4, etc., etc. etc.
Yeah, where are those guys now? Oh they're the ones downvoting all the posts in this thread LOL

topmounter

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
BMW outsells GM!!! :eek:

It seemed like I was the only one at the time, but I know I barely made it 6 months w/ my Nexus One.

Great hardware, but positively annoying and frustrating software (at least I can say that for Froyo and Gingerbread).

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
BMW outsells GM!!! :eek:

It seemed like I was the only one at the time, but I know I barely made it 6 months w/ my Nexus One.

Great hardware, but positively annoying and frustrating software (at least I can say that for Froyo and Gingerbread).
ICS is not bad at all, the problem is they're still releasing phones with GB stock...

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
Shocked that no one has said "Wow, Apple must have paid Reuters to print this" LOL