Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you upgrading your iPhone this year?

• Yes - iPhone 8 all the way

Votes: 443 70.7%
  • Yes - I'll be buying the iPhone 7s

Votes: 32 5.1%
  • No - I'm happy with my current iPhone

Votes: 94 15.0%
  • Are you going to follow the keynote live?

Votes: 42 6.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 173 27.6%
  • No

Votes: 33 5.3%

• Total voters

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
A place to discuss about the upcoming keynote, what might be release, what might not, products color, price, dates, pre-orders

Apple Special Event

The keynote will take place at the Steve Jobs Theater, and will begin at 10:00am PT/1:00pm ET/6:00pm UK (September 13 at 3am AET).

HomePod
iPhone 7s
iPhone 7s Plus
iPhone 8
iMac Pro
Apple Watch Series 3
4K Apple TV
iOS 11
watchOS 4

Last edited:
Reactions: 0003939

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
ok so we are getting close to the invites being sent out for the next Apple keynote (September) probably in the next couple of weeks. When do you guys think the event will take place? My guess is the 6th of September!
Apart from iPhones (everyone knows they are coming by now :)) what else do you expect to be announced at the keynote? My bet is Apple Watch series 3 and maybe a new Apple TV.

Maybe Apple will also take the opportunity to talk about the upcoming Homepod and iMac Pro. With regards to the iPhone's are you planning on upgrading?

Reactions: Sunny1990

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
My guess is same like you 6 - 7 September
With regards to the iPhone's are you planning on upgrading?

Planning to Get iPhone 8 and iPhone 7S. I already have two iPhone 7 Plus's [Red/Black] So not bidding on Plus model this year.

Reactions: Dave245

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
ok so we are getting close to the invites being sent out for the next Apple keynote (September) probably in the next couple of weeks. When do you guys think the event will take place? My guess is the 6th of September!
Apart from iPhones (everyone knows they are coming by now :)) what else do you expect to be announced at the keynote? My bet is Apple Watch series 3 and maybe a new Apple TV.

Maybe Apple will also take the opportunity to talk about the upcoming Homepod and iMac Pro. With regards to the iPhone's are you planning on upgrading?

I mentioned this earlier on another thread.
Last year the Keynote was on September 7th (Wednesday), Preorders started on September 9th (Friday). The official iPhone 7 launch was Friday, September 16th.

Evan Blass is someone to follow, as he made predictions last year on Apple's launch history.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/07/27/iphone-7-pre-order-event-date-rumor/amp/

I will upgrade to the OLED model. I plan on being in line at my local carrier on preorder day.

I think the HomePod might see more action, but the main focus will be on the iPhone, new campus and other rumored product announcements.

Reactions: Jetcat3 and Dave245

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
My guess is same like you 6 - 7 September

Planning to Get iPhone 8 and iPhone 7S. I already have two iPhone 7 Plus's [Red/Black] So not bidding on Plus model this year.

I think it's very likely to be the 6th, Apple usually (for the last few years anyway) hold their event on a Wednesday after Labour day in the US which is the Monday, so the 6th is likely with pre-orders starting on the Friday (8th) before I release date a week later (15th). At least that's my thinking, I could be wrong.

Personally I'm going to get the 8 if all the rumours and leaks are true.

Reactions: Sunny1990

magpie maniac

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2007
I'll get a 7S+ (assuming it'll exist) to replace my 6+. Given such a radical design change with the 8, I'm going to let everyone else be the guinea pig for a release cycle. I can wait.

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
I think it's very likely to be the 6th, Apple usually (for the last few years anyway) hold their event on a Wednesday after Labour day in the US which is the Monday, so the 6th is likely with pre-orders starting on the Friday (8th) before I release date a week later (15th). At least that's my thinking, I could be wrong.
Well that's great! Then we will have keynote 1 day earlier than last year :)

Personally I'm going to get the 8 if all the rumours and leaks are true.
That makes sense, Gaining all new features [OLED/new design/ Bezel less display/Face detection] iPhone 8 will be decent upgrade from current lineup.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I guess this is as good as place as any to ask my stupid question.

I entered the iPhone upgrade program last year with my 7+. I'm going to upgrade to the 8 or whatever it's called. Will I need to go to a store? Can I get it shipped like normal? What're my options when it comes to purchasing the phone? I ask because I have moved since, and I don't have an Apple store nearby.

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2012
England, UK
Can't wait for the keynote, less than 4 weeks! Who's going to watch it live?

Yep, definitely going to watch it.
Really builds up the hype, and excites me. Sad I know.

I have some time I've built up from work so I'll finish early on the keynote day to ensure I can watch it from the start (6pm usually in the UK), and maybe even book the launch day off.

It's like Christmas for me haha.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Yep, definitely going to watch it.
Really builds up the hype, and excites me. Sad I know.

I have some time I've built up from work so I'll finish early on the keynote day to ensure I can watch it from the start (6pm usually in the UK), and maybe even book the launch day off.

It's like Christmas for me haha.

The thing is as well because it's the 10th anniversary of the iPhone it kind of makes it special, we also don't know what else they will be updating/announcing at the event, they won't talk about the iPhone for 2 hours.

Reactions: WRXiceman

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Buying this year.. it depends. My 6 works so well, it's battery is just getting depleted.

If Apple continues their boring worn out **** with no innovation, stripping features, and increasing price (e.g. taking way TouchID and increasing price)... They'll have to sell the **** out of facial biometrics. I'll be looking at just a battery upgrade maybe, or android.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
The thing is as well because it's the 10th anniversary of the iPhone it kind of makes it special, we also don't know what else they will be updating/announcing at the event, they won't talk about the iPhone for 2 hours.
Well they are going to talk about how well Apple is doing, opening new stores, sales, etc.
Then watchOS > Apple Watch
Then iOS > 3 new iPhones

I do hope they focus very much of the content on the new OLED model. It's important to get a deep understanding of everything that the new iPhone can do.

Reactions: Weaselboy

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I doubt it'll happen for iPhones but it would be nice to be able to pre order after the keynote, like they've done for iPads in the past. Would save me messing around at work for the best part of an hour.

burntomaro

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2011
Will probably get the 8. I've had the 6 plus for 2.5 years so I've gotten my money worth and more. I need to see more than just wireless charging and OLED screen though.

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
At the last announcement where they introduced the MacBooks, they skipped all that junk, so I'm hoping this becomes the new normal. Hopefully they figured out nobody cares much about all those stats.

anyway they can jab at the phone market/Samsung, they'll do it. I still think they'll bloat about it.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
Well they are going to talk about how well Apple is doing, opening new stores, sales, etc.
Then watchOS > Apple Watch
Then iOS > 3 new iPhones

I do hope they focus very much of the content on the new OLED model. It's important to get a deep understanding of everything that the new iPhone can do.
I doubt they will talk about how well they are doing in this keynote. They've skipped that in past keynotes and this one will be absolutely full of announcements (90% of which are already known haha).

HomePod
Apple Watch
iPhone
Apple TV
[doublepost=1502646292][/doublepost]
Will probably get the 8. I've had the 6 plus for 2.5 years so I've gotten my money worth and more. I need to see more than just wireless charging and OLED screen though.
For me there is one feature that guarantees it's worthiness of an upgrade to: at LEAST 0.5" increase in usable screen over my 4.7" iPhone.

Screen is the most important feature of a smartphone. This update therefore destroys all others in that respect.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Apple Watch
Apple TV
iOS11
iPhone
HomePod

What i would like to know is will they have the new iPhone 8 in the Apple retail stores on release day ir will we have to order on line like last year

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
What i would like to know is will they have the new iPhone 8 in the Apple retail stores on release day ir will we have to order on line like last year
Of course it won't have in stores. Even 4 weeks later, the Jet black was still nowhere to be found. Especially that Plus model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.