Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
hello, i was just wondering, i have a 15inch aluminum powerbok, and am wondering if i am able to use the "software update" coupons, to purchase final cut express, at the rebate price. or if it is strictly only when you get the new mac.

aethier

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
it's only when you buy a new mac...

those coupons are useless, unfortunately. dunno why they come with new macs to begin with...

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
Darn, well that is too bad, time to save my money, or get a job... yeah eh, those coupons are useless.

thanks anyways

aethier

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Originally posted by jxyama
it's only when you buy a new mac...

those coupons are useless, unfortunately. dunno why they come with new macs to begin with...

they are there just in case apple upgrades some software that would be eligible for an up-to-date program based on date of purchase. They don't necessarily know when the computer will be sold, or when they might release an OS upgrade (pretty much the only thing those coupons can be used for usually), so they just include them. If they only icnluded thes coupons nearing the time of an OS upgrade, everyone would know its coming all of a sudden, and some machines sitting on the shelf for a while wouldn't have them even if they were eligible for the up to date program.

Though I don't know why they can't just go by the date on the receipt and forget the coupons all together.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
dunno, those coupons are not dated at all. if they weren't useful for getting updated OS/OS-bundled Apps for free or reduced price, i don't see what's the use at all... :confused:

just giving all the Mac newbies a hope, i guess... :D

(no offense, i was excited when i got my PB - then found out rather quickly that those coupons have been very useless since forever.)

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
Originally posted by jxyama
dunno, those coupons are not dated at all. if they weren't useful for getting updated OS/OS-bundled Apps for free or reduced price, i don't see what's the use at all... :confused:

just giving all the Mac newbies a hope, i guess... :D

(no offense, i was excited when i got my PB - then found out rather quickly that those coupons have been very useless since forever.)

YEs.. i am a mac "newbie" </sarcasm> by the looks of your sig, you have a 1 ghz emac, meaning you've had a mac for about 1-2years, i have a mac plus, got it in 1987. that is 16 years ago...

anyways..

aethier

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.