Apple Standard and ProCare Packages

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Mar 24, 2004.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

Appleinsider reports on upcoming incentives for purchase at Apple Stores.

The new 'Standard' and 'ProCare' packages reportedly replace the previous 'Mac Pac' service.

'Standard' (Free) packages simply include setup services for all CPU purchases, while 'ProCare' ($99) for Rapid Repair services, "advanced Genius Bar reservations', possible discounts and more.

The new packages will start on April 1st.

2. scifiman macrumors member

Now if only there were an Apple store somewhere around me so I could make use of this. Oh well.

(side note: got the first post. yes!)

3. maveness macrumors member

April Fools!

The pranksters are starting early.

There has never been a fee for consulting the Genius.

4. pjkelnhofer macrumors 6502a

pjkelnhofer

That is what I thought as well. If they can't get that right, it makes you wonder if anything in the story is accurate.

5. clonenode macrumors regular

Well, whether you realize it or not, there WAS a fee to consult with a Mac Genius. If you walked in off the street with a Mac that had no warranty, and wanted free advice, they were supposed to charge you. Many did not... especially for a couple of minutes worth of trouble-shooting, but the structure was in place for them to do it.

Now there will be a way to reserve time with your favorite Mac Genius. But it will cost you.

I'm amazed at how fast inside Apple information makes it to these web sites. People should be ashamed.

6. Some_Big_Spoon macrumors 6502a

Some_Big_Spoon

services for computers that they can't get their act together to release :rolleyes:

7. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Here's the quote from the article:

As others have noted, getting advice from the Genius Bar is currently free. Since this seems to be a direct quote from their source, the source doesn't seem very credible.

8. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Hmm... that's never come up in any of the Apple stores I've been to.

9. Mr Maui macrumors 65816

Mr Maui

Just another way to make money. Increase the bottom line.

10. clonenode macrumors regular

Re-read my previous post. Many people don't realize that there currently IS a fee for non-warranty related consultation with a Mac Genius. They even have the pricing on a little sign at the Genius bar.

So the story seems real. Why would this kind of subject be a compelling thing to fake?

11. Omad0n macrumors regular

I'm curious to know what discounts would eventually come with the "Pro" part.

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You can always get in line at the Genius bar (and yeah, they rarely if ever charge you), and you'd think that there would be no reason to pay for the right for a reservation, but the Apple Stores near me (and, yes, I'm blessed to have several within a 30 minute drive) often have lines. The wait can be extensive, so this is a worthwhile feature. Now, I wouldn't pay $99 just to get it, but it's a nice piece of the $99 offering.

13. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I did read your previous post (which you have since edited). Again, I have never been charged or have seen anyone being charged a 'consultation fee' to talk with an Apple Store genius. They would have a hard time charging people to ask a question or two. Physically troubleshooting an out-of-warranty machine is a different service altogether.

I'm not saying the story is a fake, just that this part of it doesn't make a lot of sense.

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

When I got the G5 last year, it came with a Pro card that gave me a lot of what this seems to be, including a 10% discount on any software I bought (but only one thing, and it had to be within 30 days). This sounds similar.

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I should have read more. From the AppleInsider article:

------------

ProCard to ProCare Conversions
    Customers currently holding an Apple 'ProCard' will be eligible to have their membership converted to ProCare, free of charge. In April, Apple will send out an e-mail to all ProCard holders encouraging them to visit an Apple store within 90 days to convert their membership. ProCare service for former ProCard holders will be activated on the day of conversion and will reportedly be good for one year from that date. Apple's ProCard is no longer advertised on Apple's retail site and will likely be phased out in favor of the new ProCare package.

16. maveness macrumors member

Never Seen a Price List

I have been in at least five Apple stores and never seen a "price list" at the Genius Bar.

I have never seen anyone charged for a conversation with a Genius.

I still think this is bogus.

17. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

There is a price list at the Rockingham Mall Apple Store in Salem, NH.

However, I think a lot of people are confusing "asking a question of the Genius" with "getting a consultation on how to fix a broken Mac that you've carried in with you."

I don't think any store anywhere charges for off-the-cuff info or advice. I think the fee - which I presume can be ignored officially or unofficially - applies solely to advice regarding a system you've brought in to have looked at. And, again, I'm not saying they always or often charge for that. But they can.

18. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

1. YES there have been prices for Genius consultation until now. I knew about it. It may not be posted and it may be seldom enforced--which is good--but as has been said above, the prices WERE in place, and they could charge if they chose--such as for a very involved task.

I'm glad they didn't charge usually, and I'm glad that's becoming a formal change.

2. Why the negatives? This is a nice free service--INCLUDING a service for switching data from a Windows PC! If you don't live near a store, it doesn't hurt you that some people do.

This is all good news. Not huge, but good.

19. Macophile macrumors member

I've seen the price list. I personally haven't had to use the Geniuses for anything beyond a quick question or two, but I noticed it at the 3rd Street store in Santa Monica when my girlfriend was having trouble with her iBook's power supply. She had Applecare, though, and the iBook was covered, so they didn't charge her anything.

I don't recall the prices, but they seemed geared towards people coming in with machines that were dead or dying and were going to need some pretty intensive and time consuming troubleshooting.

20. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I'll point it out

You're on a rumor site...
    Infact, you're a member of a rumor site...

AppleMatt

21. briankonar macrumors regular

who in their right mind would pay an apple "genius"? in my dealings with them they've been nothing short of f***** morons. one of them even had the gall to tell me they had an item in stock, and when i got their, he had sold it (after telling me it was on hold). needless to say i waited until the store closed to finish my "conversation" with him...

22. ABoyNamedEVIL macrumors newbie

you sound like a very angry man.

did it occurr to you that geniuses arent salespersons? have you seen the kind of traffic the genius bars get? so the guy screwed up and sold an item you wanted...there's TONS of reasons a misunderstanding like that can happen. honestly, calm down. they do the best job they can under the scrutiny of fanatics like you. and for your own protection, dont "finish conversations" with people after stores close...it's a good way to land in jail and get a human booster shot.

23. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

There is a price list at the Apple Store in Novi, MI. I was there in late February and saw it, but it was not there around Jan 22-23 when I needed my iPod serviced (1 day prior to warranty expiration). I had to sit at the Genius Bar for nearly an hour because they were having network problems. I'd guess it showed up around the same time as those overhead screens.

24. AppleJustWorks macrumors regular

AppleJustWorks

....cut the bad attitude, the guy simply made a mistake...it's not like he was out to get you......

25. Wonder Boy macrumors 6502a

Wonder Boy

setup assistance? is this program creativly aimed for switchers? i doubt mac veterans need a lot of setup assistance.