Apple still offer non retina MBP after new 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by STiNG Operation, Sep 17, 2012.

1. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

Is it likely that apple will discontinue the previous 13" MBP model after they release the new retina one? I would personally love the older model at a marginally lower price. Any opinions?

2. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

i think itll be a similar situation to the 15. theyll slowly phase out the cMBP over the next year or two

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

if there even is a 13 rMBP, I still believe the 13" retina display that being talked about is for the AIR why have 2 13" models especially when they are making the MBPs very air like with the blade SSD and soldered RAM and no optical drive

4. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

the only thing that would make it plausible to have both is if the 13"rmbp came with dedicated graphics. but I agree, your scenario is more likely

5. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Apple have had 3 MacBooks in the 13" range at the same time, previously. 2 doesn't seem such a mad proposition.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

I'd hope they keep a non-retina in order to keep the price down for entry level MBP.

7. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

There's a chance it'll be offered to educational establishments until they're all gone, but I'm fairly sure it'll disappear after the next refresh. At least from consumer retail channels.

8. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

The standard 13" MBP is their biggest seller among notebooks, it isn't going away anytime soon.

9. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

As do I. OS X is a good platform and people use it for more than just bling, "bragging rights", "compensation for a biological abnormality", et cetera...

10. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Yea..people have wanted the 13 to die for a long time or atleast not called a MacBook Pro. What folks forget is we had a 12" PowerBook also..

I don't think the era of and expandable small computer is gone yet in the Mac world

11. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I want them to bring back the MacBook if the MBP line all goes to Retina.

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

im sure they have all had their differences too when there was 3

a rMPB 13 wthout a deticated GPU ", blade SSD and soldered RAM it would be a MBA

13. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Not with 16GB RAM and a Retina Display.

14. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

well player Mauer

15. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

that would increase the price a lot for still an entry level MBP

16. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Touché.

17. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

exactly. until they can sell a rMBP for around $1100-$1200 there will absolutely be a 13" cMBP

18. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

this "new" technology is still too new, IMHO this rMBP launch was done to prove that:
    - Apple can still marvel us with innovative products even after Saint Steve Jobs left us: so please stay iTuned on Apple and don't stray and buy a PC...

- BetaTest the new machines and the direction that Apple wants to go thanks to its huge customer base: 100,000s of rMBP sold worldwide offering a huge amount of feedback on display, battery, graphic card, software and assembly issues building a treasure of information to be used for the next refresh, which in my opinion will be the real rMBP possibly with new CPUs?

cMBP is a solid product still, proven over the years and I don't think they would just wipe it off the whole catalog just to force us to go Retina so soon.

They are still facing challenges with the neglected Mac Pro and iMac lines if they loose that segment of professional customers which is what gave Apple a certain appeal over the decades, they will have only one direction left: iToys
    and that will make them loose more loyal customers, gain new ones for sure but still loose many of us that followed Apple for so many years lowering the brand to the same level of the many other gadget makers.

-

19. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

No. There will always be a 13" Air and rMBP 13". The former always being underpowered and undernourished. *That* is enough difference to keep them both around each targeting different users and price points.

Eventually though, I believe the entire MacBook line will be all retina within 12-18 months.

20. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

The 13 rmbp if it does exist, I believe the pricing would equal the base 15 cmbp.
    So the entry level mbp would always be the 13 cmbp.