Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

IPSW-250x250.png
Following the release of iOS 11.3.1 on April 24, Apple has stopped signing iOS 11.3, the previous version of iOS that was available to consumers.

iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch owners who have upgraded to iOS 11.3.1 will no longer be able to downgrade to earlier versions of iOS.

Apple routinely stops signing older versions of software updates after new releases come out in order to encourage customers to keep their operating systems up to date.

iOS 11.3.1 is now the only version of iOS 11 that can be installed on iOS devices by the general public, but developers and public beta testers can download iOS 11.4, an update that is currently being beta tested.

Article Link: Apple Stops Signing iOS 11.3 Following iOS 11.3.1 Release

Reactions: macfacts

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
It still makes no sense why Apple stops signing their own iOS especially when they still work perfectly on new and older devices. Let the customer choose which iOS they want to keep on their phone. If the iOS can be verified that it belongs to an apple approved device why don't they continue to sign their own updates and let the customer take the risk (which is really low of anything happening)

The reason is because they are always graphing and charting comparing how many are on the latest iOS compared to android when they stop signing prior iOS that's how they achieve those pie results.

Scotty2Hotty

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
I theorize there's some exploit they're trying to conceal. "... Nothing to see here. Keep it moving!"

It was signed for only 35 days - seems quick

Last edited:

jasonsmith_88

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2016
It still makes no sense why Apple stops signing their own iOS especially when they still work perfectly on new and older devices. Let the customer choose which iOS they want to keep on their phone. If the iOS can be verified that it belongs to an apple approved device why don't they continue to sign their own updates and let the customer take the risk (which is really low of anything happening)

The reason is because they are always graphing and charting comparing how many are on the latest iOS compared to android when they stop signing prior iOS that's how they achieve those pie results.

Your theory makes no sense because the number of users who would actively downgrade or otherwise choose to install an old version of iOS would make up such an infinitesimally small percentage of total users that it would have absolutely no effect on the overall stats at all. You need a very good reason to not use the latest iOS, and for most users, such a reason does not exist.

Additionally, you don't appear to understand how iOS signing and upgrades work. Customers can choose which iOS they want to keep on their phone. They just can't downgrade, or do a fresh install to an unsigned iOS.

Instead of coming up with wild conspiracy theories, you can try this newfangled tool called "Google" which lets you type in a question and receive answers. You will find that Google, combined with your question, will yield the exact reason why Apple stops signing older versions of iOS. Because, strangely enough, this topic has in fact been covered to death many times before.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Your theory makes no sense because the number of users who would actively downgrade or otherwise choose to install an old version of iOS would make up such an infinitesimally small percentage of total users that it would have absolutely no effect on the overall stats at all. You need a very good reason to not use the latest iOS, and for most users, such a reason does not exist.

Additionally, you don't appear to understand how iOS signing and upgrades work. Customers can choose which iOS they want to keep on their phone. They just can't downgrade, or do a fresh install to an unsigned iOS.

Instead of coming up with wild conspiracy theories, you can try this newfangled tool called "Google" which lets you type in a question and receive answers. You will find that Google, combined with your question, will yield the exact reason why Apple stops signing older versions of iOS. Because, strangely enough, this topic has in fact been covered to death many times before.

It's not "infinitesimal." The number of people who choose to stick with iOS 10 is illustrative of this fact. And there are plenty of perfectly valid reasons why users may prefer not to update.

And the guy clearly did understand how signing and upgrades work. Things happen to devices that require a fresh install.

Lastly, he didn't ask a question, so I'm not sure what the point of your final paragraph was. In fact, he stated a hypothesis (and a somewhat reasonable one at that). It should be noted that his hypothesis is not mutually exclusive with benevolent reasons to stop signing older versions too.

Less snark, less condescension, and more reading next time, please.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's not "infinitesimal." The number of people who choose to stick with iOS 10 is illustrative of this fact. And there are plenty of perfectly valid reasons why users may prefer not to update.

And the guy clearly did understand how signing and upgrades work. Things happen to devices that require a fresh install.

Lastly, he didn't ask a question, so I'm not sure what the point of your final paragraph was. In fact, he stated a hypothesis (and a somewhat reasonable one at that). It should be noted that his hypothesis is not mutually exclusive with benevolent reasons to stop signing older versions too.

Less snark, less condescension, and more reading next time, please.
Sticking with iOS 10 and actually finding an older version and downgrading to it is a whole different thing. Even that aside, it's quite likely that quite a bit of that percentage of devices that are on iOS 10 at this point are those simply devices that don't support iOS 11.

Reactions: martyjmclean

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012

That will expose Apple's OS software developers and managers to a real metric of their competence. It is obviously in their self interest to never let that happen.

Reactions: B4U

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I'm well aware of how iOS signing works...my iPhone 5 came with iOS6 (and I loved the music app by the way). My 2nd iPhone is the 6s which I still use and it came with iOS9...when iOS10 was released I decided to update and it was the worse decision I made as it totally messed up my 6000 songs in iTunes and I hated those bubbles for album artwork and those huge fonts in the music app...so within 2 days I downgraded back to iOS9 and I am still running iOS 9.3.5 on my 6s which works perfectly. I've never had the battery degrade issue, still on my original battery according to coconut is at 77% health with 480 charges. So it's been the best iPhone I've ever owned with the original iOS that came with the phone. I'm a heavy music user and I really really like the iOS9 music app with full size artwork inside the app and on the lock screen.

So yeah I understand fully how Apple works. My own opinion is that if you had a previously signed version of iOS it makes no sense why Apple doesn't let you downgrade after they stop signing, let the customer choose what iOS works best. The only way to test that now is limited to their short, very short time frame.

Baculo

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2005
I'm well aware of how iOS signing works...my iPhone 5 came with iOS6 (and I loved the music app by the way). My 2nd iPhone is the 6s which I still use and it came with iOS9...when iOS10 was released I decided to update and it was the worse decision I made as it totally messed up my 6000 songs in iTunes and I hated those bubbles for album artwork and those huge fonts in the music app...so within 2 days I downgraded back to iOS9 and I am still running iOS 9.3.5 on my 6s which works perfectly. I've never had the battery degrade issue, still on my original battery according to coconut is at 77% health with 480 charges. So it's been the best iPhone I've ever owned with the original iOS that came with the phone. I'm a heavy music user and I really really like the iOS9 music app with full size artwork inside the app and on the lock screen.

So yeah I understand fully how Apple works. My own opinion is that if you had a previously signed version of iOS it makes no sense why Apple doesn't let you downgrade after they stop signing, let the customer choose what iOS works best. The only way to test that now is limited to their short, very short time frame.
[doublepost=1525304111][/doublepost]I totally agree. As a long time Mac desktop user, the constant update notices on both the desktop OS and the IOS are annoying at the least and counterproductive in many cases. Many useful features appear to be lost with so many updates!

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
The only reason why I downgraded to the cancer called iOS 11 is because I could no longer receive work email since the IT admin made it mandatory...
Otherwise, I would remain on iOS 10 until my work phone is eligible for upgrade.

technole

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2017
The only reason why I downgraded to the cancer called iOS 11 is because I could no longer receive work email since the IT admin made it mandatory...
Otherwise, I would remain on iOS 10 until my work phone is eligible for upgrade.

Your IT must be stone age if they can’t support the latest version by now.

Tamagotchi

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013

What a condescending answer.. please get off the interner and take a walk to get some fresh air.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Sticking with iOS 10 and actually finding an older version and downgrading to it is a whole different thing. Even that aside, it's quite likely that quite a bit of that percentage of devices that are on iOS 10 at this point are those simply devices that don't support iOS 11.

Huh? No one was talking about "finding an older version and downgrading to it."

And yes, a large chunk of it is unsupported devices, but in a world where Apple actively keeps downloading iOS 11 to compatible devices and prompting users to install it over and over and over, it's telling just how many people choose not to install it:
https://david-smith.org/iosversionstats/

Note the 6-7% of iPhone 6 and 6S users who are sticking with iOS 10 and before.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Your IT must be stone age if they can’t support the latest version by now.
The poster said IT forced him to upgrade if work email was to continue being pushed to the device. How is that not supporting the latest version?

RobaxMan

Suspended
May 1, 2018
... it's quite likely that quite a bit of that percentage of devices that are on iOS 10 at this point are those simply devices that don't support iOS 11.

NOPE ... running 10.3.3 on both my 1P7 and iPP 9.7 - running smooth as all get out, so absolutely no reason to move to the dumpster fire Apple calls iOS 11.

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal

They can choose which iOS they want to keep on their iPhone, just as you can choose to be civil and respectful when you reply to someone on a forum.

thebeans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2009

Perfect reply!! Thank you!!

Scotty2Hotty

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Huh? No one was talking about "finding an older version and downgrading to it."

And yes, a large chunk of it is unsupported devices, but in a world where Apple actively keeps downloading iOS 11 to compatible devices and prompting users to install it over and over and over, it's telling just how many people choose not to install it:
https://david-smith.org/iosversionstats/

Note the 6-7% of iPhone 6 and 6S users who are sticking with iOS 10 and before.

My daily driver is a 6s Plus with iOS 10.2. For me, it satisfies all of my (technological!) needs.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
My daily driver is a 6s Plus with iOS 10.2. For me, it satisfies all of my (technological!) needs.

Yeah, I'm on a 6S with 10.3.3. I've traditionally been an early adopter, including as an Apple beta tester long before public betas were even a thing. But the volume and severity of iOS 11 bug reports gave me cause for pause—and no, to pre-empt what I know someone will say, I'm not just talking about people complaining on Macrumors. And while those bugs are pretty much all ironed out now, every time I think about switching to iOS 11, I realize I can't actually find a very compelling reason to make change, and there are a few things I actively dislike about iOS 11. If it ain't broke...

I'll probably do the switch eventually, if for no other reason than that the current iOS gets more love when it comes to critical security vulnerabilities. But I can't fault anyone who has decided to stick with iOS 10, and there are myriad reasons why that's a perfectly reasonable decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.