Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Stops Signing iOS 13.7 After Releasing iOS 14, Downgrading No Longer Possible

legatoboy

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2007
wow that was fast. usually major updates remain open for a couple weeks
iphone 7 and iphone 7 plus camera and mic no longer usable with iOS 14.
and apple so quickly stop signing 13.7

i am sooo tired of complaining about and support just say nothing they can do. just keep the phone up to date.
that's exactly their last word.

legatoboy

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2007
To those that have upgraded, what are your thoughts on iOS 14? I have the second gen SE on iOS 13.7. I have almost never done a major iOS upgrade on an iPhone in the year it is announced. Are there any features ditched in iOS 14? Any major bug issues?

iOS 14, iPhone 7 and iphone 7 plus. lost camera function. Some lost mic function also. just google that combination and you will see the issues.

although some complain that even iphone xs have some similar issues, what i have read and experienced are mostly iphone 7 and 7 plus

if you have iphone se, you may just want to wait for at least two to three dot releases before upgrade.

legatoboy

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2007
In corporate environment, upgrading software blindly is asking for trouble. I wish Apple had options to at least defer upgrades for a while.
Now with that new “auto download” toggle, let me see how it pans out.

You are right. in corporate environment, changes is a major thing and need long testing against all apps . try it for a bank. Some enterprise desktop management programs will lockdown each mac and not allow updates being done casually. But that's the same for any desktops in cops include windows.

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
iOS 14, iPhone 7 and iphone 7 plus. lost camera function. Some lost mic function also. just google that combination and you will see the issues.

although some complain that even iphone xs have some similar issues, what i have read and experienced are mostly iphone 7 and 7 plus

if you have iphone se, you may just want to wait for at least two to three dot releases before upgrade.
Does any of this help?

I have an xs max and frankly not experience much of any issues.

legatoboy

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2007
This is very bad : so many issues still to fix, but I guess someone didn't like
they only had 25% of people jumping in!

It seems like it's forced upgrade and post successful adoption number swiftly and show how much users like the upgrades. i turned off auto iOS update for my family members phone. my mom and boyfriend wouldn't know anything about iOS update and if automatic update is turned on (BY default with consensus ) , they just get it without knowing it.
[automerge]1600915114[/automerge]
I knew the bomb was going to drop in Sept. Glad I got my devices on 13.7. They'll be staying there until Spring
Happy for you.

legatoboy

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2007
From my experience 13.7 was really bad, quick battery drain, unexpected UI freezes, etc. on both iPhone and iPad.

14 was buttery smooth in comparison. So for those planning on staying on iOS 13, I hope you're on 13.6.x and not 13.7.

That make sense. May i ask where i can find detail tech notes on what's changed in each iOS dot releases?
thx

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It seems like it's forced upgrade and post successful adoption number swiftly and show how much users like the upgrades. i turned off auto iOS update for my family members phone. my mom and boyfriend wouldn't know anything about iOS update and if automatic update is turned on (BY default with consensus ) , they just get it without knowing it.
I think it’s hard to tell if these numbers are good or bad. The difference this year is there was no iPhone release hubris touting the hardware and software.

unknown6656

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2019
Dubai
That's why I always save the SHSH2-blobs for all my devices when a new update comes out. With this method I could downgrade all the way back to iOS 7 if I want to...

saudor

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
That's why I always save the SHSH2-blobs for all my devices when a new update comes out. With this method I could downgrade all the way back to iOS 7 if I want to...
that method doesnt work with touchid/faceid devices if the latest signed SEP is not compatible. You could technically still downgrade but it goes into a boot loop. apple needs to seriously open it up more. People who downgrade using blobs generally know what they're getting into so why tighten things up so much

ackmondual

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
you are so wise. i sometime never learn even i repeatedly made the way mistakes.
And I thought he was being extreme! In my laziness to bother, I've been cut off from getting updates and certain new apps starting roughly last year. On the plus side, I'm still enjoying a few choice apps that never got updated.

unitethenations

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007

If I downgraded a month ago where would I find my blobs? Are they still stored on my computer?

innn

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2020
I use an older Iphone SE and 14.1 introduced for me very unwelcome changes. I can't arrange, sort add/remove widgets on that screen. There is a screentime widget there I can't get rid of it, there's one just black, like an empty placeholder. Nowhere can I find a setting to configure this.
For me it's always the changes any new version brings and if it kills battery or not.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2016
I know this is about iOS but something tells me those shiny new Apple Silicon Macs will suffer the same fate in the future. Once you upgrade to a new macOS, you will be cutoff from downgrading in the future after Apple stops signing the previous release.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I use an older Iphone SE and 14.1 introduced for me very unwelcome changes. I can't arrange, sort add/remove widgets on that screen. There is a screentime widget there I can't get rid of it, there's one just black, like an empty placeholder. Nowhere can I find a setting to configure this.
For me it's always the changes any new version brings and if it kills battery or not.
While you are on the Home Screen swipe right to access the Today View page with widgets, then scroll all the way down on that page to tap on the "Edit" button at the very bottom. Once you do that you should be in "wiggle" mode where you can move or delete new widgets (using the small '-' button on the top left of each one) or add new ones (using the '+' button at the top right).

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I'm not one to favor lawsuits, actually the exact opposite, but I think there should be a fair use lawsuit of this ban on downgrading to a previous OS if you have a problem. You bought the device. You own it. How can Apple make it impossible to downgrade legally?
THIS IS ONE LAWSUIT I HOPE ONE DAY HAPPENS!
You own the device but, you don’t own the OS or the rights thereto through your purchase of the phone. The purchase of the phone entitles you to fair access and use of the OS as long as Apple makes it available for your model phone.

No one is forced to update their phone. And Apple is not legally obligated (nor should they be) to make any OS available to whomever decides they want to downgrade after the fact.

• Love
Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 68010
Feb 10, 2019
USA
You own the device but, you don’t own the OS or the rights thereto through your purchase of the phone. The purchase of the phone entitles you to fair access and use of the OS as long as Apple makes it available for your model phone.

No one is forced to update their phone. And Apple is not legally obligated (nor should they be) to make any OS available to whomever decides they want to downgrade after the fact.
Thank you!

legatoboy

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2007
I know this is about iOS but something tells me those shiny new Apple Silicon Macs will suffer the same fate in the future. Once you upgrade to a new macOS, you will be cutoff from downgrading in the future after Apple stops signing the previous release.
Of course. You get the power and hand cuffs also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.