Apple Store and Cross Upgrades

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lienhart, Sep 19, 2013.

1. lienhart macrumors 6502

lienhart

Can the Apple Store do a cross upgrade in store? If not, do I just go to Verizon after and switch the numbers? Thank you :)

2. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

They don't do cross upgrades in the Apple store.

3. jephersun macrumors member

if you mean upgrade swapping...they don't do that in apple stores. Go to the carrier's store.

4. billycuth macrumors 6502a

5. zachy85 macrumors 6502

zachy85

So I am wondering the same thing. I just called my local Apple Store, and the rep was not 100% sure that they can do this. I explained the situation and he said that they should be able to do that as long as my account (and I quote) "didn't have anything weird on it, like a business line."

As I do have a discount from my employer, I am not sure if that is what he was talking about. But worst case scenario here is that I have to upgrade the wrong line and then switch the lines which should be easy enough.

6. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I just order the phone for the line with the upgrade, activate it, and then get a new sim from AT&T to replace the old sim that got zapped.

It's a lot easier than trying to explain cross-upgrading and costs nothing.

7. jephersun macrumors member

I've never heard of anyone who has verizon, do an upgrade swap at an Apple store. I might be wrong though.

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Discount lines are business lines in AT&T so it could be the same on V...

9. zachy85 macrumors 6502

zachy85

The plot thickens...I called Verizon Wireless to see if I could pre-emptively swap the upgrade to my line before going to the Apple Store. While they said that wasn't doable; the rep told me that at the Apple Store, I can purchase the new phone on my wife's line, and then before they activate it to her line, activate it to my line. So I guess that is sort of like a cross-upgrade...I am hoping that it works, as I don't want to have to deal with swapping the lines with Verizon if I can help it.

10. lienhart thread starter macrumors 6502

lienhart

"The plot thickens" LOL. I am really hoping they can, since that's what people on this thread have been saying. Guess we'll just have to see!

11. dominic252 macrumors member

My brother works at an Apple retail store. They can absolutely do cross upgrades. They use the term "buddy upgrade" I believe. This is exactly what I'll be going in to the Apple store tomorrow to do

12. jtp098, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013

jtp098 macrumors 6502a

I don't think they will activate it to the other line but you can buy it then call att/Verizon..