Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
I went with my Dad to an Apple store today because he needed the battery replaced on his 9.7” iPad Pro. The guy at the store said that because the iPad doesn’t have screws they don’t replace the batteries. I asked about the $99 battery replacement and then he said that they could do that only if the battery tests bad. So he did a diagnostic which of course said the battery was fine. He told us the only option was to replace the iPad. My Dad was thinking of upgrading anyway so he traded it in on a new iPad Air. But it didn’t sit right with me and I was just looking online and didn’t see anything like that. Is that really their policy or did he basically get scammed into upgrading?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I went with my Dad to an Apple store today because he needed the battery replaced on his 9.7” iPad Pro. The guy at the store said that because the iPad doesn’t have screws they don’t replace the batteries. I asked about the $99 battery replacement and then he said that they could do that only if the battery tests bad. So he did a diagnostic which of course said the battery was fine. He told us the only option was to replace the iPad. My Dad was thinking of upgrading anyway so he traded it in on a new iPad Air. But it didn’t sit right with me and I was just looking online and didn’t see anything like that. Is that really their policy or did he basically get scammed into upgrading?
From what I've read and seen - yeah they just replace the iPad if the battery is <80% health left. Hopefully he's happier now with a new air! Those M1 Airs are amazing iPads.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Yeah, 80% (which corresponds to less with third party software) is their policy. Trade in values are almost a scam (but maybe somewhat different from country to country). I was quoted $135 for a 9.7 pro in 2019, when it was only 3 years old, now it must be under $100 for most models...

Reactions: rui no onna

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Usually if you are willing to pay for the battery replacement, it does not need to be at the 80% mark.

"Our warranty doesn’t cover batteries that wear down from normal use. If your battery wears down, we offer out-of-warranty battery service for a fee. If you have AppleCare+, it covers your iPad or Apple Pencil for no additional charge if your product's battery holds less than 80 percent of its original capacity."

It is true that they don't replace the battery, but instead swap the unit.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
My experience with an older iPhone was that Apple did replace the battery even though it was not quite at 80%. I was preparing the phone for handing down to another family member once I purchased a new phone and they had no problem with that. But the iPhone battery replacement could be done at the Apple Store and as others have explained here, iPad batteries are not replaced in store.

The other choice though is to take your iPad to a local electronics shop that does repairs and battery replacements and they will surely be able to do it for you. Of course it is too late now, but I've done that also with an older iPad and the work was just fine.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
iPad battery is different as it's glued down. Repair shops can replace the battery, but the Apple Store won't do it.

With A9X and 2GB, it's very slow. But as usual, you get the least amount of money trading it in.

schertlerbombe

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2020
I recently had a similar situation: Went to the Apple Store to get my iPad Pro 10.5's battery replaced. In-Store diagnose said that the battery health is still at 90% so they cannot offer me the "battery price". (it is 5 years old and frequently shuts down only to show 15-25% battery when I turn it back on. Also, 2 different third party battery diagnose applications report a health of 70-75%).
Seems like they report a wrong battery health because a battery change requires a device replacement.
The genius added that according to the amount of charge cycles, the 90% were about right and he recommends I frequently use it 100% down to 0% to get below 80%.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Been like that since the beginning. Someone pointed out shortly after the original iPad launched that battery replacements could be dicey, and Apple responded that it would just be a replacement of the whole unit for the fee of a battery replacement.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
My old 9.7” tested bad and they got me a Refurbished one on the spot. It was good as new.
You never know if the intermittent fault or whatever it was previously returned for was ever fixed. These refurbished iPads often don't have a new battery! Only glaring, obvious faults are fixed.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
You never know if the intermittent fault or whatever it was previously returned for was ever fixed. These refurbished iPads often don't have a new battery! Only glaring, obvious faults are fixed.
They don't? The handful of refurbished devices I got from Apple all had brand new batteries (iPhones/iPads/MacBooks). I was under the impression that everything but the motherboard was replaced on refurbished Apple devices.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
They don't? The handful of refurbished devices I got from Apple all had brand new batteries (iPhones/iPads/MacBooks). I was under the impression that everything but the motherboard was replaced on refurbished Apple devices.
Perhaps I have the wrong info but a pc and phone repair guy told me this.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Usually if you are willing to pay for the battery replacement, it does not need to be at the 80% mark.

"Our warranty doesn’t cover batteries that wear down from normal use. If your battery wears down, we offer out-of-warranty battery service for a fee. If you have AppleCare+, it covers your iPad or Apple Pencil for no additional charge if your product's battery holds less than 80 percent of its original capacity."

It is true that they don't replace the battery, but instead swap the unit.
The policy is not to do the battery/iPad replacement at their cheap battery replacement rate until it hits 80% or lower. From my understanding it's partially up to their discretion but yes, that 80% is an important threshold.

While YMMV, every single refurb from Apple I've ever gotten has looked absolutely brand new, including the battery. Note also that even the serial numbers are no longer the same. Refurb products have different serial numbers.

It sounds like your PC/phone repair guy is giving you wrong information, unless you're talking about 3rd party refurbishers.

schertlerbombe

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2020
My old 9.7” tested bad and they got me a Refurbished one on the spot. It was good as new.
Did you by any chance check the battery health before you went to the Store? Would be nice to compare in-Store and third party diagnose. In my case, the difference is ±15% (Coconut battery ±75% vs Apple Store diagnose 90%).

(Coconut battery readout is ±1-2% accurate for my MacBook and iPhone compared to the on device battery health report)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.