Apple store employee says iPad for sale by end of month

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Scott6666, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

This may be a real duh but today a sales person in the local Apple store said "iPads will be here by the end of the month". It's not a release date but it's the first public comment I've heard about from an Apple employee directly.

PS They had no info on a MacBook Pro update and did say they might have an i7 iMac in stock.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would say he is just repeating what most people assume will happen without any first hand knowledge

3. Scott6666 thread starter macrumors 65816

Scott6666

They are usually quite careful not to do that.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Apple employees aren't the best source of information... I think we all know that iPad is going to be available late March because Steve said so though it can be delayed of course.

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Yeah, the guy at the local Apple store ALWAYS has the low-down on the release dates. :rolleyes:

6. Scott6666 thread starter macrumors 65816

Scott6666

It was kind of an off hand remark. They asked if they could help me as they do when you enter to the store. I asked for an iPad and an i7 MacBook Pro. She answered quickly (and I think honestly) by saying the iPad would be available by the end of the month. She was not very geek like. I don't think she would be the type to have an opinion from outside the store influences. Nor was this a long discussion where she was trying to impress me with her product knowledge. Plus, I never get Apple store employees who speculate. I think Apple really intends to meet the March date. So the story from Tues in MR about the 26th may be very real.

Also throws some cold water on the Waiting for Arrandale in that she'd heard nothing about that at all.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Apple Store employees usually know less than we do here in MR. They don't get any special information. They get the information of upcoming products maybe day or two before the launch so they'll be ready to take the shipment in and this doesn't guarantee than all employees will know, probably just the store manager and employees will probably know on the day of the update.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

She told you it would be available by the end of the month because Apple's website says available end of March. That is the only reason she told you that.

9. mdgolom macrumors 6502

Agreed. Apple employees would be in for a "World of hurt" if they say anything that isn't company policy. Even if they knew it would be released on the 26th, they can't say until it's made official.

I always make it a point to go into an Apple Store and read Macrumors.