Apple store fairly far away: replacement by mail or AT&T store? (Genius broke phone)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xerenthar, Jul 6, 2009.

1. xerenthar macrumors 6502

Looks like while replacing my display to eliminate the much vaunted yellow screen issue, the Genius broke my proximity sensor.

I really don't want to drive three ****ing hours to get his mistake fixed. Any way I can get AT&T to replace it at a store or Apple to send me one?

(this is a new 3GS.)

2. dave006 macrumors 68020

No AT&T does not do warranty service. Only option with AT&T is a return. You have to deal with Apple on all warranty issues.

You can call Apple support and they can verify your case number and send you an Advanced Replacement (ARS) Unit. Normally it is $29 + tax and a hold on your credit card for the replacement value of the iPhone model. They may waive the ARS fee based on the notes on your case.

You just drop your iPhone in the box and return it to Apple.

Dave

3. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

WOW they did a screen replacement for you?!?! I would have thought they would have just switched it out! Sorry you didn't notice while you were still there.

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

Since when do Genius's replace broken screens in Apple stores?

5. xerenthar thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah. he asked me if anything else was wrong with the phone. i said no, because at the time, that was true.

i think that's a relatively new development. within 2009.

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

As in he took the iPhone apart and replaced the screen?

7. xerenthar thread starter macrumors 6502

correct.

i've seen it mentioned here in the forums before.

my g/f's 3G also had a bit of the LCD die, and the Genius replaced her screen as well (different occasion, last month.)

do i have to call apple for the ARS units? i tried entering my serial# online and just got "Apple Retail Store" as my only repair option.

8. calvy macrumors 65816

This won't help the original poster, but for all of you who didn't know you could get your screen replaced, read the article below. Looks like Apple will do it for free now if you are under warranty and you crack the glass. Wow. Guess i'll buy applecare now.

I am a bit surprised they did this on a 3GS though. If I had a yellow screen problem, I'd want a whole new unit.

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/07/06/apple-stores-will-replace-broken-iphone-displays/

9. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yeah the only reason I knew they did this was because I was standing at the Genius Bar one day next to someone who wanted his phone swapped by the Genius said he was just going to do a screen replacement. Took it in the back and came back 15 minutes later with the same iPhone with a new screen.

This was back in May.

10. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

The "Genius" I spoke with about two weeks ago in store, told me that they can replace it for $199+tax. There's no fact stating that every Apple Store will replace the screen if it's cracked. Apple's warranty still states that accidental damage is not covered.

11. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

So does this mean that if I drop my phone and crack my screen the will replace it free?

12. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Then the screen replacement isn't for cracked screens because idk how a cracked screen could not be considered as accidental damage...

13. xerenthar thread starter macrumors 6502

so tired of accidentally muting/speakerphoning/calling others during my calls.

14. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Your best bet is going to be to call AppleCare. Even though this forum is full of helpful and knowledgeable people, only Apple is going to be able to tell you if you can save a trip and send it in by mail.

15. drjuice macrumors member

Apple started this about 2 months ago. Standard warranty rules apply, that is: If you're iPhone screen is damaged (i.e., cracked glass), it will cost you $199 for a new screen. If you're screen is defective, or it's a defect that can be fixed by replacing the display assembly, it will be covered under the 1 year warranty or AppleCare (meaning free).

To save a drive your best bet would be to call AppleCare. You could try fixing it yourself (most likely a connector isn't plugged in completely) but that technically voids your warranty.

16. xerenthar thread starter macrumors 6502

i did the 'have an apple expert call you' thing. they'll call me at 530p.