Apple Store for Higher Education Discount %’s

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Stetwin, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

Is there any way to find out how much the HE discount is without being on the universities network, I’m not sure if the institute makes a difference but if it does would someone be able to find out the % for Leeds Metropolitan University please :)

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I believe it is about 17%-17.5% on computers. If you tell people what you want a price for, however, you might do better here. You can also call Apple and they will give you HE prices.

3. sarah3585 macrumors regular

sarah3585

It's 13-14 % if you go to the thread about the back to school offer someone has screenprinted the prices for the iMac and MBP's

4. Exodemia macrumors regular

Yup, pretty good discount and of course the more you spend the more you get off! Hence why I'm getting a MBP, iPod Classic and other stuff at same time :D

5. ashokc macrumors member

just a heads up each university has their own separate discount % with apple so they might differ slightly. The average tends to be 14% though

6. sarah3585 macrumors regular

sarah3585

Can anyone tell me if there is still 3 year garantee on the HE store online?

7. ashokc macrumors member

there is a 3 year HE guarantee and this can be upgraded to full on applecare for an extra £50. Its worth the extra £50 for the technical support as well as the fact the HE guarantee means you can only repair your machine through a reseller

8. Bow Rekk macrumors member

Does anyone know if there is a restriction on number of software items bought with HE discount?

I want to buy logic 8 with the discount as it is cheaper than the upgrade. I also want to get leopard at some point. I already have logic pro 7 which I bought using the HE discount in april.

I should be able to do this?

9. Bow Rekk macrumors member

10. sarah3585 macrumors regular

sarah3585

There is a limit on the number of same products you can buy. also if you are planning to buy say an imac and ipod and then a macbook and ipod this is against the terms and conditions as it is one rebate per household, so you may end not getting the second rebate. Unless you're sneaky about it.

11. Stetwin thread starter macrumors 6502

Stetwin

So if the prices from the "Back to School" thread are correct then i should be looking at a saving of about £57.17 (About 6%) if i buy at home and £113.57 (about 12%) if i buy it while at Uni

Is the 12% correct for Leeds Metropolitan Uni or does the institute effect the discount? If the institute does affect the discount % then does anyone know what the % is for Leeds Met?

Not sure if this is any help for you guys wondering about how much software you can buy:

Also if i phone Apple to place my order would that give me the 6% discount like buying from home or the full HE discount like buying from Uni?

12. sarah3585 macrumors regular

sarah3585

It doesn't state when the academic year is, you might be able to get away with purchases now and then again in october.

13. Xexr macrumors newbie

Handy thread, anyone have the % for Nottingham Uni? Back in a week or two, but I'd like to plan things out :)

14. bobsbarricades macrumors regular

i get the feeling that this is only true for the UK. For some reason I never saw any diffrence between going to the apple store with the education discount from home or from on campus. am I missing something?

15. Exodemia macrumors regular

Ok I'm confused now. I need some clarification on these two things:

1. I'm living at home for first year of uni but could easily order stuff from a computer at uni campus so would I get the full 10%+ discount?

2. If I buy two software titles with discount but want to buy more without discount is that ok?

16. sarah3585 macrumors regular

sarah3585

Yes if you are living at home it's fine. Buy through your uni for 13-14% discount. You can buy 2 lots of software per year the rest you can get without discount.

Some software you can get student editions for (ie. CS3) on anyway so have a look at amazon.co.uk to work out what's best to buy from apple.

17. Stetwin thread starter macrumors 6502

Stetwin

1: If you order from a computer on the Uni's network you will get the 10%+ Discount, if you order from home you will get about 6% discount.

2: Yes, you can get two titles with discount and have to pay full for any others you purchase.

18. Exodemia macrumors regular

19. Stetwin thread starter macrumors 6502

Stetwin

I know this is answering my own question but i just spoke to an Apple Rep and the Full HE discount and iPod offer is available by phone, which is awesome for anyone who is still at home but wants to take full advantage of the 10-15% HE discount!

20. casjohnr macrumors regular

So when does the UK 'academic year' start?

As I purchased a 20" iMac on August 31st this year but have now sold it on as I want the 24" and I was planning to order in October to hopefully get Leopard and a iPod!

21. sarah3585 macrumors regular

sarah3585

Well uni students aren't back yet. So I guess it could be argued if you do get caught.

22. Exodemia macrumors regular

Well I am a uni student, a new one starting on 28th.

23. Bow Rekk macrumors member

Term for me will start on the 2nd of October. I think the academic year starts on 1st of september. That's the cut off for what year you are in at school and all that...

24. Exodemia macrumors regular