Apple Store Genuis Bar, should we tell the truth

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dixie8123, Apr 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dixie8123 macrumors member

I just need some quick help. I dropped my iPhone off a table onto a tile floor, about 3 feet high and my iPhone shattered.

I am thinking I should just tell them the truth, but my mother says we should say that my great grandmother sat on it and she did not know it was there.

What do you think?

2. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

Do you even have to ask the forum members ? It common sense :(

3. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

I'm pretty sure either way you're probably not going to get a new one for free unfortunately. I would tell the truth because I have a good conscience but in reality it probably doesn't matter either way.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Might as well tell them the truth. I doubt that telling them the fib will cause them to give you any more mercy than the real story.

And anyway, a sit-down on an iPhone will probably give you different damage than the drop. If there's an impact point on a corner, or a spiderweb type shatter, they'll know right away that you're lying with the grandma sitdown story.

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I hope you don't take offense, but I'm disappointed with your mother giving you that advice. She's telling you to lie...not the greatest basis for the development of any ethical principles.

I'm not sure if it's common sense to lie, or it's common sense to tell the truth.:confused:

My common sense says you tell the truth, even if it costs you some money. It's called living by a set of ethical principles.

I'm hoping that's what you meant.:D

6. 5enohpi macrumors regular

5enohpi

Tell em you are not there for the shattered glass but have a software issue where the phone turns off by itself and apps keep crashing. Works every time:) I'm prolly on my 4th iPhone 5 every time it gets scratched or nicked and it bothers me I swap it out

7. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

What a delight to read these wonderful posts recommending lying.

So encouraging to know that we can look forward to a whole generation of folks with no sense of right or wrong...just what you can get away with.

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I think you should do the right thing and tell them the truth - they may have mercy on you and help you out.

Lying about it shows no common decency, lacks ethics, morals and shows total disrespect for your fellow man and the people at the store where you're seeking help.

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Are you saying Granny is FAT? :D

Either way, unless u bought AppleCare+ it won't matter.

I don't know why anybody think the Genius may take pitty on you. This is black&white issue, phones' do shatter easier these days since they decided to use glass instead of polycarbons. If one thing any corporation do is they don't want to perceived as playing favorite to a certain customer, they'd be accused of discrimination.

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Why? Because there are many testimonials on this forum where the people at the Apple Store have done just that for customers. Many people have had their phones repaired/replaced for free or reduced costs.

I myself had an iMac I bought as a refurb and it kept locking up no matter what I tried and with what I tried based on their recommendations. They ordered me a brand new one as a replacement, when they could have just gotten me another refurb -but they didn't.

They don't have to do these things for people, but sometimes they do.

12. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Broken is broken. How doesn't matter. That whole 'one time exception' on making you pay for broken stuff went out the door when they launched AppleCare+.

----------

Uh no it doesn't work everytime. Because at most stores if you claim something that is a software problem they will fix the software. Software problem doesn't get you a hardware swap and in this case even if it did you are paying for swap cause damaged overrides defect.

Most stores don't swap to shut up whiners like you. And even if they did, a shattered screen is a tad more than a little nick. And if you try to claim there was something wrong with the wifi or whatever before you broke it, if there's no record of complaint about that issue from before you broke it, you are SOL.

----------

Which has nothing to do with their policies regarding busted up mobile devices.

They no longer, as a company policy, make cost exceptions on broken devices. You broke it, you pay.

13. 5enohpi macrumors regular

5enohpi

It gets worse. I'm not the next generation I'm a grown ass man

14. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

On the iPhone 4 launch I ran that sucker through the wash the night I got it. I took it in, expecting a $200 fee. They took pity on me (probably somewhat based on the timing... iPhone 4 lines were mad crazy long) and knocked it down to $100. They may take pity on you. They may lie. I don't understand why you ask here though. You either lie, or you don't. They either give you a break, or they don't. The internet is not the place for finding one's moral compass IMO.

15. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Interesting juxtaposition of posts.

Perhaps, 5enohpi, you might find...well, you get the point!;):D

16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

The point wasn't that it was an iMac or what their policies say. It was an example of the liberty the Apple employees have regarding their policies and what they can do for their customers by going the extra mile. They didn't have to give me a new iMac, they could have given me another refurb. Likewise, they can still take extra care of an iPhone customer - if they choose to.

17. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I see.

So next time when I break my phone, I'd sure to take my 12 years old cute niece into the store with the puppy eyes...

18. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

And my point is that the liberties they can and sometimes do take with computers has no baring on what they can do with a iPhone. Especially when you are talking about a potentially defective computer versus a user damaged iPhone

I have had to have broken iPhones and iPads replaced in multiple states in the US easily 100 times due to the number of them we use at work and since they launched AppleCare plus if you broke it you pay. Period. Same tale at every store I've been to, every manager, every AC rep, etc. it's a company policy and it is followed 100%.

19. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Well, at least you're not lying...just pimping off your 12 year old niece.:rolleyes::p

20. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

you people have to remember, they are not law enforcement, they are just some goons that call themselves geniuses. So only tell them what they want to hear.

21. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

So acting ethically is dependent on the threat of discovery and possible punishment. Not based on an inner set of principles upon which one bases their behavior.

Very young children, developmentally prior to the (potential) development of conscience, base their behavior totally upon external variables. Theoretically, we develop the internal rules by age 4 or 5...if I remember correctly (any developmental psychologists out there...correct me if I have the age wrong!).

So whether they are law enforcement or not does not change the issue.

22. Ray Brady macrumors 6502

Alternatively, you could think of them as tech support: people whom you would like to receive help from. As a general rule of thumb, you get better support if you tell the technicians what is actually wrong with your product.

23. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Sad isn't it? Every now and then I get the urge to stop coming here because of comments like these. Actually it's more the attitude than the comments. My wife and I had dinner at Houlihan's last night and the waitress forgot to add the soft drinks. We told her and guess what? She said "Thank you so much" and then didn't charge us anyway. It pays to be honest 100% even when it's uncomfortable.

24. stridemat, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013

stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

MOD NOTE

Open. Let's keep this civil on both sides please.

25. taedouni macrumors 65816

No one will believe that someone shattered it by sitting on it. If there was a minor crack then I guess it's possible that someone may have sat on it while the phone was on a hard surface, but I doubt it.

Just be honest and say that an accident happened. Tell them that you're very careful with your electronics so you were extremely disappointed in yourself. Ask them if there is anything that they can do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.