Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

syoung6164

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2001
NYC
Apple store in NYC

I hear you loud and clear man.I was wondering the same thing myself.Not to knock any other city but NYC should've been in the top 10 at least!

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
Theres a soho in NY? Is it anything like the one in london? cos an apple store there isnt a good idea.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
although an apple store in soho, london would certainly be a newsworthy item, attracting a fair amount of interest. Isn't that what apple needs to do now, get its name in the news more?

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
True, although the male section of the apple market would be very tempted to go into a local sex shop or strip club.
This would not be good for sales at the store.

It wouldnt make marketing sense.

cacho

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2002
SOHO, in the context of nyc, is an acronym for "South of Houston Street." It's a trendy upscale area of Manhattan where there's alot of artsy fartsy clothing and design stores. I don't know if the name was ripped off from London's Soho, but, NYC's SoHo is definitley a respectable area. It's also a natural choice for Apple to put a retail store here, because most of the stores in this neighborhood are here mainly to show off their products. Clothing companies like Stussy, Camper, Prada, etc... all have their main showrooms here for their latest designs. When you see a Prada ad, and it says "Prada... London, Paris, New York, etc..." the New York means SoHo.

Anyways, I was walking through SoHo yesterday, looking for the space where an Apple Store is supposed to move into and I couldn't find it. I heard it was supposed to be on the corner of Spring St. and something, but I walked the whole length of Spring and didn't see anything. Anyone know what the exact rumored location is?

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Apple's strategy with these stores has been to put them where consumers go and to avoid the business heavy areas. If you notice they've been putting the stores in malls like the Palisades center in Nyack and Tices corner, right down the road in NJ.
I agree that SoHo would be a good spot, lots of cache (style not memory), and the weekend crowd would be a good fit, but I think they're targeting the home user who lives near the suburban store and goes to the mall often. They'll probably put the next one out in LI, yuch!

amichalo

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2001
Originally posted by cacho
SOHO, in the context of nyc, is an acronym for "South of Houston Street." ... Anyone know what the exact rumored location is?

Thanks for the info on what SOHO stands for. When i lived on the Upper East, I never knew.

The two store Apple flag ship store will be on the corner where Restoration hardware had their Flagship - PRINCE and GREENE streets.

Checkout this link:
http://www.thinksecret.com/features/applestorenyc2.html

Or read this report:
(rather old now, same report discussed the frist apple store not being open yet)
In New York, Apple is setting up shop in Soho, one of the trendiest areas around. Apple took out a lease on a 25,000-square-foot store in Soho at the beginning of the month. The PC maker is taking over the digs of Restoration Hardware, an upscale home-furnishings store. At this point, Apple hasn't done much with its digs. The empty store still has the Restoration Hardware markings on it. A big blue dumpster--the type used when you gut buildings--sits out front.

amichalo

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2001
Location of NYC store

Originally posted by cacho
SOHO, in the context of nyc, is an acronym for "South of Houston Street." ... Anyone know what the exact rumored location is?

Thanks for the info on what SOHO stands for. When I lived on the Upper East, I never knew.

The two story Apple flag ship store will be on the corner where Restoration hardware had their flag ship - PRINCE and GREENE streets. If they keep it at all like Restoration hardware, it will have a massive staircase infront of you as you walk in with wrap around bannister on the second floor and be very open with a very high ceiling.

Checkout this link:
http://www.thinksecret.com/features/applestorenyc2.html

Or read this report:
(rather old now, same report discussed the frist apple store not being open yet)
In New York, Apple is setting up shop in Soho, one of the trendiest areas around. Apple took out a lease on a 25,000-square-foot store in Soho at the beginning of the month. The PC maker is taking over the digs of Restoration Hardware, an upscale home-furnishings store. At this point, Apple hasn't done much with its digs. The empty store still has the Restoration Hardware markings on it. A big blue dumpster--the type used when you gut buildings--sits out front.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.